Beating a dead horse - but attendance rises!

sheeps

Earlier this year we were 24th in attendance, now we're 22nd. No giant leap by any stretch of the imagination, but getting better!

20 Atlanta 14,757

21 Anaheim 14,745

22 New Jersey 14,609

23 Washington 14,517

24 Boston 28 14,474

Edit: Just a typo.

Edited by mrsheeps

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boston's excuse is they are not the defending Champs. What an embarrassment, the defending champs sit 22nd in attendance. :rofl:

Honestly, what does one have to do with the other? Does averaging 14,500 a game somehow tarnish the three Cups the Devils have won in the last nine years? Of course not. Does the fact that MSG is sold out 99% of the time dull the pain that the team's won one Cup in 63 years? Of course not.

I think I read a post somewhere else on this board about how you used to come to this forum with regularity before "the teenagers took over" or some such. I've read your thoughts on the shootout and the salary cap, and I think you have some good insight. But you and I and everyone here all know the factors behind the Devils' attendance. It's an old story. When you start trolling about it, it takes away from some very informed comments you make here and elsewhere.

Just an FYI...

<JESTER>

Wow... To bad CAA is in a horrible location....and ther is no transit. It is such a bitch trying to get onto 3 after a game....uhh ohh dont get stubbs started about how great the meadowlands is. That mile long tunnel really kicks ass as does having to cut across 3 lanes of fast traffice to get into the parking lot from route 3.

Newark or Bust

Edited by oofrostonoo

no, it doesn't tarnish the three cups, just shows what a joke of a fan base they have. Saying the arena is ugly or doesnt have any amenities or there is nothing else to do is bogus. I have ranger seasons, most nights I go to the game, and after get back on the subway and go home. Maybe once or twice a season I'll go out to dinner before hand or go out after the game for some post-game boozing. The argument about it being an inconvenience to get to is worse. I drove from Long Island to the Meadowlands many times for Rangers-Devils games during the week, going through Manhattan. That meant taking the LIE to the midtown tunnel across 34th street to the lincoln to route 3 to the arena. I dare you to find a worse stretch of traffic at rush hour. Maybe, just maybe the Staten Island Expwy across the Verrazzano to the Belt Pkwy is worse, maybe.

That's you, Matteau. If you see it as a good thing to spend 41 nights a year cheering on a loser, hey, it's your life. All the wonderful memories, Jari Kurri, Scott Fraser, Valeri Kamensky, Dave Karpa.. it must be beautiful when you look back on those years.

The CAA sucks because it is an awful building in an awful place. Absolutely NOTHING about it makes me want to see a hockey game there. NOTHING. All the sound gets lost in the roof, so the crowd is always dead, and it's a bad place to watch hockey.

That's you, Matteau. If you see it as a good thing to spend 41 nights a year cheering on a loser, hey, it's your life. All the wonderful memories, Jari Kurri, Scott Fraser, Valeri Kamensky, Dave Karpa.. it must be beautiful when you look back on those years.

The CAA sucks because it is an awful building in an awful place. Absolutely NOTHING about it makes me want to see a hockey game there. NOTHING. All the sound gets lost in the roof, so the crowd is always dead, and it's a bad place to watch hockey.

Triumph, you have just proven my point. You allegedly are a fan of the defending Cup Champs, if you go to a game you have a better chance than not of seeing your team win, but because the building is bad, you don't want to go see a game there. Are you going to watch your favorite team or to admire beautiful architecture? When I go to MSG do you think I sit and stare at the beauty of the arena? Or admire the wonderful acoustics? No, I go to see my favorite team play. When the Devils leave NJ, it will be "fans" like you who are to blame.

I hate when people knock the Devils fans, saying they have a horrible fan base or a joke of a fan base or whatever. We might not have a lot of fans (that actually care enough to go to games or can afford to go to games), but the ones that we do have are extreme die-hards.

And I also agree with Tri -- although I love the CAA (in some weird and twisted way), it's an awful arena. There's only two good things about it -- one being the popcorn, the other being the fact that there's not a bad seat in the house.

The fans that do go to the games, those 14,000 are the diehards. You can't honestly believe that EVERY fan going to a Rangers game is a diehard fan, right? A lot of those people attending are going for teh sake of going to a hockey game, they might be a casual fan, but more likely they got the tickets through work, through a friend, got the tickets just for a night out with the family etc etc. It's an appealing arena to go to for the casual fan. That isn't true for the CAA. What casual fan would want to drop 90 bucks to sit in an awful, dead arena? There ARE fans that go for the energy and atmosphere. I think that's one of the other reasons why the Devils can't sell out a game -- you're NOT going to get 19,040 diehard fans in one arena, some of them HAVE to be casual fans.

Matt32, you already explained the problem on this board, location, location, location. YOU said if the Devs played in the Garden they'd sell out all the time. So Rags fans aren't going to see the team they are going to the Garden. Which BTW advertises regularly that good seats and season tickets are still available, so I'm not so convinced they sell out all the time. I see plenty of empty seats when I catch a game on tv.

It really is pathetic when all Rag fans have to dis about the Devils is attendance. The Devils have great fans, loyal fans and fervent fans. Three starters voted to the All Star team shows a lot about the fanbase. It is spread out all over the state and across the country. A new arean in an accessible location will end these attendance threads.

First of all, I'm not living in New Jersey now, nor do I think I would ever become a season ticket holder. But what I go to a hockey game for is for being at a hockey game. That means the sounds of the game. That means the crowd, the excitement. If I didn't want that or get it, I'd stay at home and watch the game on TV. Sorry, even if I was making a lot of money, I would not devote 41+ nights a year to that. Maybe that's just me.

These things have an effect on people, Matteau. And it won't be 'fans' like me, it'll be because the building is a terrible place to watch a hockey game. I can watch a hockey game at home. If it's worth it to you to spend an extra hundred bucks, plus travel, plus whatever else, just to see the game live, fine. But there are not many people like that.

Edited by Triumph

The fans that do go to the games, those 14,000 are the diehards. You can't honestly believe that EVERY fan going to a Rangers game is a diehard fan, right?

No, it is NYC, it's a game, people will go to just for the sake of going. That is true. However, when the Rangers were good and even the first year or two of the recent skid, the building was full and the season sold out the first day tickets were on sale. Before I had season tickets I would go to Ticketmaster and wait on line at 3am, by 7am the line was down the block and around the corner. There are still enough diehards to give the arena life, WHEN they play well, ala last night. The point is, if the team is good there should NEVER be attendance issues. If a team only has 14,000 die-hard fans, they should move.

Devils attendance sucks. There, I said it. At least I don't have wait on line for a beer or for the bathroom during a Wednesday night game. Thats what kills me at the garden. If I break the seal early I only get to see 5-10 mins of the action with those damn bathroom lines, but at CAA my pee runs freely like a lion on the Serengetti (sp?) plain.

Matt32, you already explained the problem on this board, location, location, location. YOU said if the Devs played in the Garden they'd sell out all the time. So Rags fans aren't going to see the team they are going to the Garden. Which BTW advertises regularly that good seats and season tickets are still available, so I'm not so convinced they sell out all the time. I see plenty of empty seats when I catch a game on tv.

It really is pathetic when all Rag fans have to dis about the Devils is attendance. The Devils have great fans, loyal fans and fervent fans. Three starters voted to the All Star team shows a lot about the fanbase. It is spread out all over the state and across the country. A new arean in an accessible location will end these attendance threads.

you were missing my point on the devs in the garden. take the devils make them the Rangers and they sell out every night. The point was if the Rangers were as good as the devils you'd never be able to get a seat. Now, take the Rangers and convert them into the Devils and they'd be lucky to get 5,000/game. Put the Rangers in Staten Island where mass transit is non-existant, and if they are good they will sell-out every game.

The Rangers do not sell out nowadays, and it usually doesn't fill-up til about 7:30, but even as a NON-PLAY-OFF team they still draw better than the Devils, which is sad.

Loyal fans? Talk to me after they go through a few lean years and we'll see the loyalty of the Devils fans.

Fan club? HAHA. I was going to join the Rangers fan club. Then met some of the other fan club members and saved my $20.00 Let's just say they were a very SPECIAL group of people.

The perks of being in the Devils Fan Club are quite nice.

Why is a Ranger fan concerned about Devils attendance anyway...don't you have a missed playoff opportunity to cry over? Then again its been obvious for weeks that the playoff ship has once again sailed so I guess you are over it by now. You sound like my brother, another jealous Ranger fan.

Loyal fans? Talk to me after they go through a few lean years and we'll see the loyalty of the Devils fans.

:cryriver:

I love this smiley. Do us a favor, coggs. Save the martyr act. Who do you think you are, #10Duguay, patron saint of fan suffering? :rofl:

The Blue Badge of Courage - being a Ranger fan. :rolleyes:

I think many Ranger fans like the losing on some level because it makes them feel like they're the hockey fans God created. I think there's medication for the condition.