Devils Smartphone App

Colin226

Hey guys.. The Devils Generals are going to be making a push to get a smartphone app created for the NJ Devils.. We'd like to know what fans would like to see in the app in terms of features..

I personally threw out the idea of having a virtual ticket feature, so that you can buy tickets from the app on your phone and instead of needing a hard ticket, you just show the bar code on your phone at the gate, have it scanned, and you'd get in.. It gets lowers paper use (green initiative) and it's something you don't need to remember to bring with you to games

Other ideas are a replay feature that works inside the arena, so that fans get replays from different angles on their phones.. Pittsburgh has this and it seems to be very popular..

We appreciate your thoughts! :evil:

Make sure its available on both Android AND iOS. A Blackberry version too.

Perhaps some sort of weekly exclusive to the app. Maybe an interview or feature that you can only get on it or contests that are exclusive to it. It needs incentive to be downloaded, especially if its a paid app.

A GameDay score widget would be nice too. Something that autoupdates Devils games only. Maybe make the goal horn a pack in so people can download it and use it for text alerts etc. Theres already some third party gameday score things out there, but they're all annoying.

Edited by ghdi

I for one would love the phone ticket thing. Also I'd like to see game audio stream from TV or the radio on the app. My friend is a Sabres fan and has an app from his radio station that allows him to listen to the games with none of the AM interference or when he is way out of range. He plugs his phone into his car and he is good to go with listening to the game. IDK if that is at all possible.

Make sure its available on both Android AND iOS. A Blackberry version too.

Perhaps some sort of weekly exclusive to the app. Maybe an interview or feature that you can only get on it or contests that are exclusive to it. It needs incentive to be downloaded, especially if its a paid app.

A GameDay score widget would be nice too. Something that autoupdates Devils games only. Maybe make the goal horn a pack in so people can download it and use it for text alerts etc. Theres already some third party gameday score things out there, but they're all annoying.

Yeah it would definitely have to include a feature that updates the score and provides a play-by-play during games for fans who can't be there live.. Would also be cool if highlights could be added after goals during the games, but that might be a little too advanced to start..

I also like the idea to have contests just for the app users.. Definitely need incentives for that

Those are great ideas Colin!

I'd like to be able to watch highlights from all games during the course of a season, as well as a user-friendly way to view team/player stats of the past and present. Having a section for team records and upcoming player milestones would be cool. I don't know how intricate they are willing to make this thing but in a perfect world it would be an archive for all Devils related stats since 1982. Maybe even a way to stream the radio (or ideally the tv) broadcast of the game right onto a smart phone through the app would be amazing. I think the obvious features should be a schedule, current roster/lines and depth charts including Albany and Trenton info and stats on our drafted prospects still developing.

updated game stats - has to be able to work outside the arena as well.

interactive gameday program (i could appreciate that this would devalue buying the actual program).

submit entry for score-o or in-arena contests.

devils season ticket holders - access to "my account"

Just to hit all of your thoughts..

updated game stats - has to be able to work outside the arena as well. I completely agree.. Fans at the game would only need this as a reference.. Fans outside the arena need it for score updates, so this would probably be its main use

interactive gameday program (i could appreciate that this would devalue buying the actual program). Good point on the program, but still no reason their can't be some gameday content

submit entry for score-o or in-arena contests. Love it

devils season ticket holders - access to "my account" Also love it.. And STH would also be able to use the app instead of bringing their hard ticket to the game

The others around the league are all free, so I'm pushing for it to be free.

Only the Canucks have one you pay for it looks like and that's to watch games right on your phone.

So, Android, iPhone and BB were the ones requested.

I'd be for a paid app provided it was fair (i.e. 1-2.99) and the purchase was worth it. It would need to have regularly updated content and incentive for the purchase. Perhaps buy the app get a 10% coupon for the Den or something to that effect. Theres ways to make a paid app work.

The issue (paid or free) is that the content needs to be worth coming back to. Ive downloaded tons of apps I use once or twice and never have a reason to use again. Thats the hardest part.

One thing I'd like to see is a fully interactive timeline of the franchise. Detailed though, not an overview. It would give newer fans a way to learn the history of the team. Perhaps a Devils Alumni section where you can click to get a profile of the player on NHL.com whether they're with the team or not. So if I pull up the 2003 Stanley Cup team I can click Gionta's name and see what he's doing now.

On Gamedays, there could be a mini-program on the app with updated lineups/matchups and current news surrounding both teams.

Farm coverage would be nice too, but that could be at a minimum. Perhaps an option to check on Albany's standings and stats.

And don't bloat it with ads and superfluous garbage like stupid mini games that people wont bother with. Keep the content useful. Doesnt need filler on a smartphone app.

The most important thing is cross platform (Android, iOs, blackberry) as everyone needs to be able to use the app for it to be worth it. Each platform has different benefits as well. It needs a good developer to pull off.

So long as it has up to the minute updates I'm game. I use the ESPN ScoreCenter app right now and sometimes it's 5-10 minutes behind. (and if you're developing something for Android, a live wallpaper, maybe changes from player to player every so often, would be AWESOME).

All awesome ideas guys.. Keep them coming, we need your input.. The Generals are meeting with management tonight (I will be unable to attend due to school) and this is something we plan to push heavily.. Seems like there is a considerable demand for an official Devils app and like many of you said, if it's going to be done it needs to be done right.. cj and I will do our best for you guys!!

Don't know how feasible this is...but I heard of other sports apps doing it (I think my Dolphins app does it but I have yet to find a code that works, but anyway). How about a QR Code reader. This could actually promote people buying programs by putting an exclusive QR Code in each program that will give access to a hidden video or something. Just an idea.

make it for iPad too just got mine and actually checked for a devils app yesterday...

Since the Devils rent iPads at the games, Id assume this would be a lock for something. iPad is different from a smartphone though. It would get things the phone app wouldnt/couldnt and I think the most important thing in respect to this specifically is keeping the apps as similar as possible.

Tablet apps and phone apps arent the same thing. If you do it for iPad, it'd have to be done for the Android tablets as well.

Don't know how feasible this is...but I heard of other sports apps doing it (I think my Dolphins app does it but I have yet to find a code that works, but anyway). How about a QR Code reader. This could actually promote people buying programs by putting an exclusive QR Code in each program that will give access to a hidden video or something. Just an idea.

The Knicks do this too. There are QR codes for things. The code reader is a seperate app though. Usually any reader app will pick up on them. But I agree integrating something like QR codes is a good way for easter eggs and extra things. Perhaps have QR codes around the community on billboards and such. It can be really far reaching with stuff like that.

Edited by ghdi

Maybe be able to stream the radio stream for the game? Might be asking a lot, but I think the current NHL Center Ice app can do it

Rights issues come up with this. This may be a Center Ice exclusivity deal (dunno if Center Ice app is paid or not, I assume that it is) at least in terms of linking directly inside the app. There are plenty of radio station apps out there that you can get the games on. I use RadioTime and never have a problem getting WFAN or if the station they're on while on the road.

Hey guys.. The Devils Generals are going to be making a push to get a smartphone app created for the NJ Devils.. We'd like to know what fans would like to see in the app in terms of features..

I personally threw out the idea of having a virtual ticket feature, so that you can buy tickets from the app on your phone and instead of needing a hard ticket, you just show the bar code on your phone at the gate, have it scanned, and you'd get in.. It gets lowers paper use (green initiative) and it's something you don't need to remember to bring with you to games

Other ideas are a replay feature that works inside the arena, so that fans get replays from different angles on their phones.. Pittsburgh has this and it seems to be very popular..

We appreciate your thoughts! :evil:

You actually can scan tickets already from phones and laptops. I've had people come up to me with a laptop open and their email opened to their ticket. As long as the barcode can scan, you're good to go. I don't see why this can't work with a ticket on a smart phone.

I would like an app that lets me know the sratches, scores, line combos, stars, etc