All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

Monkey = Gibbons, Heart Smiley = Lovejoy, Coffee = MoJo, Apple = Assist, Cowboy Smiley = Severson, H-building = Hall, Palm Tree = Palmieri, Nose = Noesen, Baby Smiley = Bratt, Finn Flag = Vatanen, Golf flag/green = Greene, Clown Face = Schneider
  3. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

in order - gibbons, lovejoy, johannson, assist, severson, hall, palmieri, bratt, noeson, vatanen, greene, schneider
  4. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

5. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

Yup. I don't know much about the guy from a personal standpoint and how he is outside the arena, but strictly in terms of his on-ice behavior, the guy is a true professional. He's been nothing but a good teammate during his short tenure here so far, and he simply never quits on any play. He has so much hustle and drive, and it rubs off on the other players. I've always had a soft spot and preference for having someone on defense be the captain, sort of the "strong silent type" guy who just has this calming yet demanding presence, but Hall absolutely has earned it and deserves it, and with the way this team has now been formed and shaped over the past couple of years (i.e. offensively-oriented), it makes perfect sense to model the team around him and let him be the leader. I think he's up to the task.
  6. New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

I think it might appeal to the Marlins because Conforto doesn't go UFA until 2022...he'll be cheaper in the immediate future. You are taking a gamble on him not being able to regain his pre-injury form though. Mets would get a CF who can field AND hit/get on base with some power, and at a very reasonable cost. The issue would be (outside of Sandy not even bothering to investigate this) is that if I'm the Marlins, I try to get the Mets to take Castro off my hands too. Castro has had some really shaky offensive seasons, even though he's a lifetime .282 hitter...he would fill a need at second base though, and the Mets would only have to pay him for two more years. Would you do something like Conforto/Smith/Nimmo for Yelich and Castro? Tough call.
  7. NFL 2017 Playoffs and news

Yea I sort of forgot that Manning stuff. I mean one minute we hear whispers around the league that Peyton Manning outright can't throw a football anymore or even turn his head. Two years later he throws 55 TD passes.
  8. And I think Ray Shero and the rest of the Devils management agrees with this. What position have they drafted with their 1st round picks since Shero has taken over? Center. Nico pushed Zajac down a peg, and Zacha seems like he's trending in a good direction and hopefully shows enough consistently to take the 2nd C spot, maybe this year but better be next year.. And hopefully Mcleod is here next season. Zajac being the 3rd line center, that's coming. Maybe not as fast as some want. But it's important to this building of the team that Zacha and Mcleod turn into good players.
  9. New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

I'd be onboard...I mean in order for it to be a lateral-ish move we'd have to assume Conforto is exactly the same as he was pre injury, and I'm not sure he will. I HOPE he is, but we're the Mets and you just can't expect that. Good for Yelich. What a hideous black hole the Marlins franchise is. He wants out and he wants to win
  10. The Islanders won 3 of their last 4 and were totally outplayed in all of them. Their freak "all-star" goaltending kept them in games. The team record gives no indication of that. Unless you expect usually sub-par goalies to carry you for an 82 game season, I wouldn't just go off the record alone.
  11. Analytics will always be flawed as hockey is not a black and white sport like baseball or football where it's a bit more cut & dry about what will happen during a play. Analytics can predict tendencies and that's about it. Way way wayyy too much stuff in a hockey play cannot be quantified as it's hard to put a number on quality and situations. Here are a few scenarios that are quantified the same way. Cause a shot is a shot. • A wrister from the blueline in the goalie's chest = shot • A one-timer from the point with a screened goalie = shot • A wrister that hits a stick and a leg before going in while the goalie was screened = shot • A wrister that hits a stick and a leg while the goalie had great visibility of the puck = shot • A player pushing a puck already in the slot in an empty net while the goalie is stuck on the other side = shot • A player breaking the puck out of his zone and taking a weak wrister to the goalie just to get a faceoff in the offensive zone or make a line change = shot • Deflections = Shot Then we need to talk about identical shots that were blocked or simply went wide. Then they don't the same while if they would have went 1-2 inches aside would have been a shot. It's also not taking into consideration if the player made a good play at all. You can control the play 100% for literally 2 minutes in the offensive zone, having the craziest possession / tic-tac-toe play in hockey history. If your shot is blocked or go wide and miss the net it's not quantified within that stat. While again, a goon skating the puck up and shooting the puck at the goalie with zero chance of going in will. Then we're not talking about quality and precision of the shots. If you have Andy Greene or Ovechkin taking a shot. It's also quite different but it's not quantified into those stats. And also you can have players who gets tons of shots per game cause they take mindless shots from anywhere and you can have guys taking lots of shots cause they always put themselves in the right position or create their own chances, same thing you can't quantify that with shots. It's not that different from the dumb +/- stat in which it totally depends on if someone else on the ice is scoring or if you're getting scored on, that it's your fault or not. You can make the most insane play and your teammate may miss the net or the goalie may make the save of the year. Or you may take a sharp angle shot and it hits 4 legs and go in. Nobody else on the ice deserves to be + or - after a play like that lol
  12. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

it was the prototypical PP one-timer... thats the wheel house for on the PP for Ovie, girioux, kovy, etc etc.. every goal in the nhl has a small opening with 6'-7" butterfly goalies... halak being not so big though... imo, no need to discuss "dangerous chances" on a set PP
  13. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

Paper transaction. He'll be back on the roster once Appleby is sent down and Mueller is activated. EDIT: Actually after seeing one of AG's tweets from yesterday, maybe not. I guess Santini is the odd man out for Mueller.
  14. Today
  15. My only issue with Zajac is he's being used too often in offensive roles, take him off the powerplay and I'm perfectly fine with his presence, but from where I'm standing he's been killing the potency of that 1st unit. I understand wanting to have him out there for faceoffs, but we also have Boyle on that unit so the presence of them both seems very redundant to me, I'd much rather just have Boyle on that unit than Zajac. I still stand by the sentiment that this will truly be an elite team when Zajac is the 3rd line center, he's still an excellent defensive center and his underlying numbers are typically pretty good, but I think his days as a legitimate top 6 center in this league are over.
  16. Explain to me exactly how this is a bad argument, I thought we are trying to win games not statistics?
  17. I just look at the record and it seems Travis has not really helped this team.. Pre Zajac return 11-4-2 Post Zajac return 12-8-6 there is an old saying "you are what your record says you are" and according to this the devils are a sub 500 team with Zajac... I really donot care what the analytics say..
  18. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

I agree. I can't remember any game, whether the Devils won or lost, where MB didn't criticize the coaching staff for something.
  19. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

It did actually. Now I’m wondering if they’re going to become fans or even get into the riveters. You should worry less about what other people say.
  20. 2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Hahahaha oh man that's amazing
  21. Zajac re-joined the lineup on 11/16. From 11/16 - 12/27, Cory put up a .924 save%. KK in five starts since Travis' return has been up-and-down...he has an .897 save% overall in those five games, but in three of them he was fine stopping the puck (Devs went 2-0-1 in the three). Cory hasn't been his best as of late. Anyway, my point is that the goaltending hasn't been a problem until recently, and sometimes guys just slump. It's not like goaltending's been an issue the entire time since Travis has been back...your metrics have been skewed by the recent winless streak.
  22. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

I watched most of the game on my phone. Guess it looked like he was cheating down low a little bit. Oops. Guess I wouldn't consider a one-timer absolute lazerbeam of a shot on the power-play "low danger" or "medium danger", although all of you and Mike Brown's fancy schmancy stats seem sorta useless to me.
  1. Load more activity