All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. All purpose general trade speculation thread

OEL is a -40! The next minus guy is Petry (Habs) -22. I realize he's on crap team but cheeze, also Max Domi 3 goals in last 40 games. And one of those was an empty netter. I'm a lil scared of acquiring Yotes. They're shell-shocked. W/ D. Strome in the A. Doing Ok but had opportunities to stay. Still aint ready.
  3. 2017 JETS

Jets do wind up firing Morton lol, day after Haley gets canned by the Steelers and he has Bowles ties.
  4. Yesterday
  5. He's an average to slightly above average goalie.. idc what stats say, a post on the 1st page is dead on about shots a goalie face and how They re all counted the same, even though they're easy ones and very hard ones. Stats for a goalie don't tell the whole story. Price is much better then cory will ever be, he's actually clutch, and shows it time and time again (minus his slump he's in). Cory doesn't string enough of those games together to be considered top 7, yet alone elite.
  6. yeah as for stats I'll stick with the standard Sav% and GAA from places like espn and other places like that until one of the resident stat guru finds a way to twist the numbers. Bottom line, happy to have Cory as our goalie and he certainly is handicapped by a relatively weak defense (eye test) not gonna bother looking up numbers to back that up.
  7. I’ll let someone who’s better at stats deal with your first question. For your second question; not that I think this should be an end-all for the discussion but typically EASports will rate the players and the casual-and-above fans tend to agree with their ratings. They have Schneider as the 4th best goalie in this year’s game. https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2017/nhl-18-player-ratings-top-10-goalies and if you don’t want to use that for any evidence I don’t blame you, but I’m an active poster on reddit r/hockey, which has fans of all teams, and it’s my opinion that the majority of those users (some 100k +) see Cory as a borderline top-5 and bonifide top-10 goalie.
  8. got it other than the part about the numbers not quite lining up. I like Cory but don't think he's a top 7 goalie. I would also highly doubt the majority of NHL fans comment as well, in many cases they will above anything else overate their own guy first before throwing Cory's name out there. He's 23rd in SAV% and 29th in goals allowed. You could probably pull some other guys out based on games played but nowhere near enough to be 7th. He's a solid guy, but I wish I had a dollar every time somebody here said he needs to make that save, especially in games where we struggle.
  9. On the contrary I think the majority of NHL fans - myself included - think he’s without question a top-7 goalie.
  10. not sure anybody around the league would see him as a top 7 goalie. Not sure there's enough numbers out there to manipulate to show he is, is there?
  11. All purpose general trade speculation thread

A deal was apparently pretty close for Galchenyuk in the offseason. But with the emergence of Bratt and Nico being a legit NHLer already, I don’t think we need another forward. Scoring really isn’t the team’s problem, so I’d only go after Kane if the market for him nosedives. I’ll make a special note to say that I will start breaking things if Ray trades for Phaneuf, even if Ottawa gives him to us and pays half his salary. He sucks and is only getting worse. If the rumors about OEL being available are true, that’s what Ray should be looking at.
  12. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Are there any names on the Trade Bait Board which would actually make sense for the Devils to trade for, given that we're not looking to give up picks and are not billed as a Cup Contender? I would think maybe only guys on contracts that are not UFA in case we feel they fit into long term plans... Those guys (on non-UFA contracts are): Hoffman, signed 2 more years - i think he would cost a ton to acquire Pacioretty, signed 1 more year - for being signed only 1 more year, not worth it Galchenyuk, signed 2 more years - interesting case Z. Smith, signed 3 more years - i like Smith personally but probably not needed A. Shaw, signed 4 more years - a more talented Zack Smith... maybe Pageau, signed 2 more years - only if Zajac somehow finds himself elsewhere Phaneuf, signed 3 more years - no, too cap costly Barrie, signed 2 more years - would love it, but probably will cost a fortune
  13. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

thanks for the recap. I was interested in the tweet but for the most part was unable to figure out what the hell he has writing about.
  14. He is a top 7 goalie in this league. He’s not been good lately. I’m confident he’ll find his form again. He’s a great goaltender who’s having a bad stretch, like Price had in MTL, Rinne in NSH, etc. have had. I agree he has to be better though, no doubt about it, and I think he knows it too.
  15. All purpose general trade speculation thread

I figured that out. Derp
  16. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Shero traded for him as the GM of Pittsburgh from the Islanders.
  17. All purpose general trade speculation thread

That trade was contextual though. The trade was on March 4th and the Isles were out of contention so the trade had less impact.
  18. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Bill Guerin comes to mind. Depends on how you define rival though lol.
  19. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Yes, I’m aware Shero said that, although he said it in the context of Kovalchuk staying in Russia when he was asked if a deal with the Rangers was something that came up. It was a lot easier for him to say that he could make a deal with anyone than to actually do it. Lou said the same stuff about trading with the Rangers and of course it never happened. Did Shero ever make trades with in season division rivals when he was in Pittsburgh? In any event, I’m not doubting the report, as it would be the most bizarre instance of someone making up a sports story, perhaps ever. (Yeah, I’ll really cause social media to go crazy by making up a story about, wait for it, the Devils being interested in trading for Brock Nelson). I just don’t know what Ray or the Islanders are really up to with that one.
  20. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Maybe if you're in salary cap hell and you've dealt a number of picks in "win now" deals, yeah, you might just do it then...like Shero has shown, it's not like you have to keep all of the picks either. You can move one with something else for an asset.
  21. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

Nobody was counting Stafford's 5 when he was 3rd on the team and everyone said he sucked...
  22. All purpose general trade speculation thread

I definitely agree...and it would have to be a sh!tty team where those first rounders might be better. I'm just saying, there's times where teams just start dumping everything for picks or prospects because they are in a total rebuild. In that situation, if you needed Cory off the books, maybe you take the 4 1sts. That's all I meant.
  23. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Again, I agree that teams seldom do it, but Shero has said that he doesn't really think about things in this way and that he doesn't care - if it makes the team better, he'll do it. And again, I do not see why teams don't do it, as long as it is a hockey trade without futures - if both teams get equally better, why should it matter? I don't know what NJ would've traded for Nelson or what that deal might've looked like. Nelson and Ho-Sang for Severson and Stafford/Hayes? I don't know.
  24. GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM

So I should care about what Gibby did in 2013-14? Or about his AHL numbers? Not me. And like I've said, that freak stretch that saw him score waaaaay more than we ever could've expected was a lot of fun while it lasted, for him and everyone else...and it helped the Devils get off to a great start. I don't have to define what an anomaly is for you...sometimes guys go on unforeseen tears, and sometimes there clear reasons as to WHY they go on tears, and why they'll come back to Earth, and why there's a very good chance that such a tear will be an isolated occurance. Gibby didn't suddenly become a better scorer or figure out how to beat goalies at a crazy rate...it's worth isolating the sample because it's something that will almost certainly never happen again. It's not representative at all of the player that Gibby really is, so no, it's not all part of the same whole. Maybe if we're lucky, Gibby can somehow be around the 10% shooter you think he can be from now until his Devils career ends...I would take that, especially since like I've said in earlier posts, it's not like I ever expected him to be a goal-scorer, or a guy the Devils should rely on for that purpose. Like you said, even if he only scores a few more goals from here on out, he's already earned his money for this season.
  25. All purpose general trade speculation thread

I’m curious as to whether the average first round pick is much more valuable now than it was in the late 80s and early 90s. It’s quite plausible that it is when you consider scouting ought to be more thorough now, especially at the international level, there are more American kids playing hockey, and a greater pool of young Russian players are better prepared for the pro game.
  26. All purpose general trade speculation thread

Only way you could do that is if you had a top prospect that was clearly ready to be a #1...and even then, I'd want at least one or two established players that could help me now. The Caps received five first-round picks as compensation for losing Scott Stevens as a Group 2 FA...they turned out to be: Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo Gonchar obviously had a fine career, and Witt did play a lot of games as a Cap (well over 600), but the other three players did very little...in some cases, just about nothing. Having a bevy of extra firsts isn't as sure of a thing as it can sound.
  27. All purpose general trade speculation thread

and once we send cory to the isles those draft picks get worse and worse... thats the killer imo
  1. Load more activity