All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Devils were at least competitive in just about every season from 2003-04 to 2011-12 (even 2010-11 got to be a little more interesting than it had any right to be)...yeah, those teams tended to come up very short come playoff time (with the exception of 2012 of course), but at least you went into those seasons feeling pretty confident that the Devils would at least nab a playoff berth. It's the last five seasons have been especially rough, not just because of them not making the playoffs, but because they've generally been a very ugly team to watch. You can get away with winning ugly, but losing ugly is something else...and the Devils of the past five years have almost seemed allergic to putting pucks in the net. I'm very hopeful that this season marks the end of THOSE Devils. At the very least, it feels like this team should be a lot more entertaining to watch.
  3. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

I'm a Yankees fan and this is dangerous. The Yankees were supposed to be "bad", but a bunch of young guys are ahead of schedule and now we're in late-September chasing a pennant and it's got me right back in to "the world is literally fvcking ending" every time they lose. I promise you that if the Devils are within striking distance of a playoff spot near Christmas, the pressure (and inevitable suffering) will quickly find its way back into your fanhood.
  4. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

ehhhh?? I've been saying it since the trade: you don't give up a 2nd round pick for a 22-year old RFA if you don't see him in your top-6 next year. I also don't think there's a chance Butcher isn't in the opening day top-6. Greene, Severson, and Lovejoy are 'locks'. That's assumed. Moore will likely play in quite a few games, but I can't consider him a top-6 lock. I think there's a decent chance that the opening day top-6 are Greene, Sevo, Lovejoy, Mueller, Santini, Butcher.
  5. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

It's actually refreshing to be "bad". This is the first time in my life as a Devils fan that I can just watch them play and not worry about playoff runs and wildcard spots and expectations. I get to watch a team full of young talent, and if we do good, hey that's great, but the only thing I'm expecting is to see young guys development, which is comforting. Takes the pressure of suffering through the last 15 years down a little.
  6. Today
  7. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

In general I don't think any Devils fans who's been watching this team through these lean years is re-thinking their expectations too much. The most optimistic fans (like me) are thinking possible wild-card contention if a lot of things break right, but at least this looks like the beginnings of something better than what we've seen for the past several seasons...and it's not like we're not eager for even the slightest signs of that.
  8. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Not to be a wet blanket or anything.. but didn't the Avs go 6-0 in the preseason last year? And I think we all know how the regular season went for them.. Really can't tell much about anything really from the pre-season. I'm just enjoying watching Hischier and the rest of the kids play.
  9. Around the League: 2016-17 edition

So.. if anyone ever has a gripe with how Shero's running the team.. Take a look at how badly Sakic has handled the Duchene situation. Makes me kinda glad Marty didn't step into the GM role here, because it's gonna be reallyyy awkward when they end up firing Sakic.
  10. New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

No experience...I think just like a young prospect, assuming Wright is even interested in such a thing (he still wants to play), you let him work his way up through the system, and even have him on the coaching staff for a couple of years.
  11. New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

Any objections if they named Wright manager?
  12. New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

This is what I don't like Has...it's like they're keeping him out of some fear that he might magically turn back into the Harvey of 2015...completely the wrong reason to do that. If Passive is worried that he might endure some criticism (he has to know that he's already getting his fair share anyway, so what's the difference?), in this case, I think most fans would understand Harvey not being tendered: 1) He's completely stunk up the joint in 2016 and 2017, and seems like a guy whose body simply can't handle what it takes to pitch effectively long-term in the majors. 2) He's a diva and a serious PITA (though in his defense, it's not like the Mets inspire any confidence when it comes to how they handle their players). You can even argue his presence around the Mets has become a bit toxic. Even when he was pitching well, he often acted like an entitled d*ckhead. 3) He's a free agent to be...even if he did enjoy something of a bounceback year (which I define to be a decent year at best at this point), does anyone really think that Harvey will be a Met beyond 2018? The Mets would be crazy to commit to him long term, especially since you'd feel a lot more comfortable giving bigger money to deGrom and Syndergaard (though it's still early to make the argument for those two as well). Passive has a real chance to start to change the dynamic of this team a bit, simply by non-tendering a guy who's always been a bit of a bitchy malcontent and who doesn't look like he'll ever be what he was...at the very least, you can send the message (FINALLY) that if you're not performing, you don't get to fvcking hang around here forever no matter what. That's been the biggest problem since Sandy's been here, and it's time for that to change. His numbers are scary-hideous BTW, from the start of 2016: 34 starts (basically a season's worth), 177.1 IP, 210 H, 112 ER, 26 HR, 67 BB, 138 K, 1.56 WHIP 5.68 ERA, 73 ERA+ (100 is average). And the numbers are getting WORSE. He really should be in the minors, but unfortunately those seasons have all ended. I do think the fact that he keeps getting trotted out there has something to do with prior transgressions...I think even though the Mets are going to tender him (out of misguided fear), I don't think they like him much at all. I think if this was someone else, they'd shut him down.
  13. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Yeah, I kind of remember Pavel Brendl having some big preseasons, then promptly disappearing once the regular season began. Guys like that in every sport. That being said, it's really starting to feel like this is becoming Shero's team...it's still fairly early-on in the process, but you can see the vision. I like where it's going...and it's great that it looks like Hischier is going to start his career with the big club. Would be nice to see this team continue to win some preseason games...for vet teams that know they're playoff-bound, it doesn't matter, but sometimes I do think some preseason winning can help a finding-itself bunch like this group enter the season feeling good about itself. I never thought this team would be as bad as some prognosticators do, but the only way that I think the Devils will compete for a wild card is if Schneider has a big year. Last season wasn't all his fault, but he simply wasn't good enough for too much of the season...if the Devils get that version of him again, it's just going to be very difficult to stay in contention...especially for a team that's trying to build its confidence. I'm also curious to see, if Killjoy is shaky through 20-25 games, does he still keep getting playing time?
  14. New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

The irony is non-tendering Harvey would actually save them $6 million or whatever they could use to either get a real starting pitcher that isn't damaged goods who's a year from leaving regardless, or a real bullpen pitcher that isn't A.J.Ramos I don't really get what the point is of giving him a third year to bounce back other than the sunk cost fear, that since they didn't trade him for a king's ransom when they could have, they don't want him to walk before he's absolutely going to.
  15. New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

More and more, it looks like TC is going to retire after this season (good) and Passive Uncreative will be the GM next season (not good). The fact that he's talking about tendering Harvey tells me all I need to know about this offseason, and the immediate future of this team. Sandy could actually act like there's the slightest level of accountability within this franchise and just tell Harvey to fvck off, better luck somewhere else, but nope, of course even after one and a half seasons of damned near nothing (and not showing the slightest signs that it will get better), Harvey gets another chance. If Harvey was two or three years younger, I might understand it...but he will be entering his age 29 season next year. Sure, there's a slight chance that Harvey could improve...but there's a better chance that he's one of those guys who simply didn't have the physical ability to keep performing at the highest level, and doesn't have the scrappiness or intelligence to learn how to win with lesser stuff. For a GM who doesn't have much in the way of real aggression, next year is going to be all about "IF" scenarios, because it's just easier to do less and hope that it all doesn't go to sh!t again. Always the path of least resistance (and lowest cost) with Sandy and the Mets. God-fvcking-dammit.
  16. NFL Week 3

So who would have thought Rams-49ers would be a shootout?! On Thursday night no less, in front of tens of thousands of empty seats Good thing for the Rams they got Fisher out of there before he could completely ruin Goff, my god the difference from year one to year two is remarkable.
  17. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Only preseason. But they have looked good. Really really good.
  18. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

This X 100. I just keep repeating "it's only pre season".
  19. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

I will not get my expectations up I will not get my expectations up I will not get my expectations up I will not get my expectations up I will not get my expectations up my expectations are up.
  20. Tell me more about this
  21. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Nice win. Before I get into some thoughts, I just can't believe how bad the refereeing in the second period was. Holy hell, how is that a penalty called a goalie interference? The Good: -Nico: So slick, so smart, so skilled. The goal was pretty lucky but he was in the right place, which is a theme for him. That pass to Palmieri was the most impressive play of the night. You never see players make that pass so quickly, but he fooled both the dman and Price. -Blandisi: He should be a standout considering his age and the fact that he's competing for a spot. He's just been so smooth and his passes have been great. He also isnt falling down as much as before. -Mueller: Was pretty down on the trade but he has been stellar in the preseason. Great skater in all directions and is pretty sound positionally. I think he has the inside edge over Butcher for the 6th spot due to the price Shero paid, but he is earning it. -Bratt: He wont make the team but he's certainly making the decision more interesting. Not bad for a 6th round pick. London is the perfect place for him to learn the NA game
  22. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

23. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Yeah, good game all around by the guys that matter. I think Blandisi's going to make this team out of camp - he's playing well. Bratt looks intriguing and he'll go back to London and play well when he does. Quenneville was less impressive but hey, Albany could use some help and perhaps he'll improve as the season goes along. I don't have to talk about Hischier or do I - he's really good. Only questions are about his ability to weather the season - otherwise he's an NHLer already. There's hope here.
  24. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Have to say the Habs radio announcers are great. Not homers at all
  25. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

That sentence could've been written about Larsson when PDB was coach, so no surprise to hear it about Mueller. I thought he looked pretty good tonight.
  26. NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

It wouldn't surprise me if the auto pick does a better job than I do Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  27. GDT: 9/21/17 NJ Devils @ Les Habitants

Hey guys fvck Carey Price.
  1. Load more activity