FCC Ruling Gives Verizon & AT&T Access To MSG’s HD Channels

brodeur14301991

I went from $219 to $139 for 2 years and have more channels.

Not to mention that the product is incredibly better.. Cable is a 60+ year old technology that they keep trying to pump more data through, while fiber directly to the home is a new technology and already several times faster than cable.. There are other things I like about FiOS too, like their customer support is rated #1 in the industry, they have a remote control app for smartphones, and the interface on the channel guide is more user friendly.. I also like that the modem and router are in one unit supplied by them so you never have to worry about buying your own and setting it up

There really is no comparison.. You should definitely look into it and give them a call

im a huge fan of FIOS, ever since it came to North NJ, i've had it.

When i moved for 2 years, we had to get Cablevision due to the area wasnt linked for it yet, and i really really missed the speed and tv quality of FIOS

Being back home, its gotten even better, The DVR is seriously excellent (my room TV box isnt a DVR but i can record whatever i want from my room to the DVR in another room and watch from that DVR)

MSGHD is the ONLY thing about FIOS i don't like, but thats Cablevisions fault, not Verizons. and once we get that, it will be a 100% complete package

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow is the day we find out that the FCC won the appeal and CV has filed a new one :giggle: I will be checking my sources all day and plan to post news as soon as it is released (expect nothing before 1:30pm)

That said, here's a little positive news from about a week ago to get you all excited for the big day tomorrow:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1708302~a00d9cce5adf5005b5ab108f81aa520d/panel%20assignment%20order.pdf

ORDER, dated 12/05/2011, Respondent's motion for panel assignment and decision without oral argument is GRANTED, FILED

Essentially it means the cross-motion the FCC made in its opposition papers was granted. The FCC cross-motion asked the court to present this new case to the same panel of judges that heard the earlier stay requests made by Cablevision & without oral argument, since the facts are the same as before. The court sided with the FCC today, hence the order assigning Cablevision's stay request to the same panel of judges without any oral argument. So the motion will be decided on the papers submitted, and by the same court that shot them down after the 1st appeal

Edited by Colin226

No news about the ruling, but some good indications from what I've heard:

Just checked PACER, nothing there yet. Since the 12/5 Order granting FCC's request for decision w/o oral argument, there were a few additional entries, namely a notice of appearance of a US attorney from the antitrust division. The reason for this was stated in the Notice, as follows:
Matters related to this appeal or involving the same issue have been or presently are before this Court. The short titles, docket numbers, and citations are: ✔ Cablevision Systems Corp. v. FCC & US, No. 11-4104

That case number is essentially the same case as here; the newer docket number was created when Cablevision filed a mid-November petition. I'm not familiar enough with the case to know whether the US jumping in here and tying the "new case" back to the underlying case is substantive or merely administrative, but it can't be a bad thing because the 11-4104 case ended favorably, as we know, for FCC/VZN/AT&T, and to the extent res judicata might be invoked, it'd be invoked in FCC/VZN/AT&T's favor. One of the last docket entries there shows CTV seeking similar relief to what they're seeking here, and failing:

Petitioners [CTV] request a stay, under the All Writs Act, 28 U.S.C. § 1651, and Fed. R. App. P. 21, of two decisions issued by the Media Bureau of the Federal Communications Commission. Intervenors also move to transfer this action to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Upon due consideration, it is hereby ORDERED that the motion to transfer is DENIED, the request for a stay is DENIED, and the petition is DISMISSED. See In re World Trade Ctr. Disaster Site Litig., 503 F.3d 167, 170 (2d Cir. 2007); Minnette v. Time Warner, 997 F.2d 1023, 126-27 (2d Cir. 1993).

The one thing you can say about all this is that we will all be able to pass the Bar after this ordeal is over

Edited by Colin226

The 28th of what month, Colin?

Theoretically, this one.. Verizon has said that they will need 2 weeks to run the fiber and get the feed from MSG setup ready for viewing.. But CV hasn't given in before so is this the end or the beginning of something new? That, I do not know

Edited by Colin226

Here's the analysis I got:

Well good news, the stay was denied & vacated. The bad news was the merits of the case were not ruled on, since CV apparently did not file a form by its due date in November. So if the form gets filed by the end of December the court will take back up the merits & rule on it. This is not over, but AT&T & VZ are to be allowed access to the MSG HD feed in the interim.

Additionally, there was another order filed today...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10010977/fcc-cablevision_order2_12-14-2011.pdf

This order dismisses CTV's 11/15 petition, if not remedied by 12/28, for CTV's failure to file a required pre-argument statement, which is a simple 2-page administrative form (Form C/A). This has nothing to do with the stay motion; it's basically just housekeeping.

Edited by Colin226

I can't wait, it will be awesome if they have it by Friday nights game!

The next away game I'll be able to watch on TV is 12/26 :doh1:

BTW - I'm hearing that not everyone receiving MSG now will get the HD feed.. Apparently the SD feed is sent via satellite to the local places where the signal is sent out, but the HD feed needs to be run via hard fiber and they're saying that the Lawrenceville area (VHO 08) was too far away to run the fiber (for now).. Only people in VHO's 05, 07 and 15 will get the HD feeds.. Again, this is what I'm hearing but it came from a very reliable source

How can you check with VHO you're in? I just did it so I'll post the steps

1. Turn on your TV and STB

2. Hit the "Menu" button on your FiOS remote

3. Go down to Settings (and push the right arrow button)

4. Go down to System Information

- Towards the bottom you should see: VHO ID: ####

- The last 2 digits are your VHO number

Edited by Colin226

I am in 07, sweet!

I read the article, a matter of days amazing!

Alright good because, to be honest, you were the one I thought of when I heard people in the Lawrenceville area were going to get screwed (could you imagine not getting HD after all of this?!).. 07 is sent out from Freehold so I guess you are closer to that.. Anyways, congrats :cheers:

I'm in 07 as well. I really cannot tell you how jealous I have been of my gf who's a flyers fan and gets to watch every game in Hd. Comcast sports is so darn clear and then I look at our game and have to squint to see if its in the goal or not. This is the best Christmas ever !

I'm in 07 as well. I really cannot tell you how jealous I have been of my gf who's a flyers fan and gets to watch every game in Hd. Comcast sports is so darn clear and then I look at our game and have to squint to see if its in the goal or not. This is the best Christmas ever !

Haha my gf is a Flyers fan too so I know exactly what you mean

Fion non HD has been better then I expected. But I am in 07 and obviously prefer HD again. Only made the switch a month ago. Maybe I'm good luck

So how do you like FiOS?