GDT: Devils @ Bruins 7PM: BRODEUR in Beantown

ThreeCups

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/gelinas_making_a_difference_for_devils_happy_to_back_after_albany_day_trip_power_play_surging/

Zidlicky’s tying goal came on a rare 6-on-3. Trailing 3-2, the Devils went on a 5-on-3 with 1:49 remaining when Patrice Bergeron received a delay of game minor for clearing the puck over the glass with Torey Krug already in the box on a high sticking double minor.

DeBoer decided to pull Broduer with 1:24 left to make it a 6-on-3, sending Bernier on as the extra attacker to screen goaltender Tuukka Rask. With Bernier in front, Zidlicky blasted a shot from the right point that beat Rask over the right shoulder.

Like Brodeur, DeBoer didn’t remember a situation previously in which the pulled a goaltender to get a 6-on-3.

“I don’t remember having done that in the past and we did talk about it on the bench and we had differing opinions,” he said. “I think (goalie coach) Chris Terreri wanted him out with over two minutes left (when the Devils were on a 5-on-4) and some other guys wanted to wait a little longer. I don’t think there’s a right answer there. If you score, it’s the right answer. If you get scored against, it’s a poor decision.

“I think I felt that Rask was not going to let in something that he saw and we needed our best net-front guy in front of the net and that’s what went into the decision and that’s why we got Bernier out there.”

DeBoer believes having the sixth attacker definitely made a difference on the tying goal.

“On a regular 5-on-3, you’re probably not planting somebody where Bernier stood,” he said. “Bernier went out there with the sole purpose of standing on the edge of the crease and screening Rask, so that helped for sure.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/10/devils_coach_pete_deboer_never_opted_for_a_6-on-3_power_play_before.html

“I don’t remember having done that in the past,” DeBoer said. “We did talk about it on the bench and we had differing opinions. (Goalie coach) Chris Terreri wanted (Brodeur) out with over two minutes left. Some other guys wanted to wait a little longer.

I don’t think there is a right answer there. If you score, it’s the right answer. If you get scored against it’s a poor decision. I think I felt that (Tuukka) Rask was not going to let in something that he saw. We needed to get our best net front guy in front of the net. That’s what went into the decision and that’s why we got (Steve) Bernier out there.”

And there you have it.  I am obviously a moron.

Yes, they all agreed they'd do it. Some wanted it earlier, some a little later, but everyone seems to agree they should do it at some point.

Maybe I'm wrong but you seem to be saying don't pull the goalie at all with a 5 on 3 because it's too risky, which appears not to have even been considered a viable approach there.

You also highlighted the part of the quote that is results oriented, which I am not and which you said everyone else was being, so I assume that's not part of your argument.

I seem to recall a few years ago when Sutter pulled Marty with about 6-8 minutes to play when they were down 2 goals to the Canes. Can't recall if they scored on that or not.

Anyway, that's my contribution.

Edited by NCDevsFan

Yes, they all agreed they'd do it. Some wanted it earlier, some a little later, but everyone seems to agree they should do it at some point.

Maybe I'm wrong but you seem to be saying don't pull the goalie at all with a 5 on 3 because it's too risky, which appears not to have even been considered a viable approach there.

You also highlighted the part of the quote that is results oriented, which I am not and which you said everyone else was being, so I assume that's not part of your argument.

No, I said that it was too early too pull Marty, not that he shouldn't be pulled. And this was all started by me saying that this move was one of Deboer feeling the heat.  Now, you can say that he was trying to win the game, but I think most in here feel Pete is on the hotseat andI believe that this move was indicative of that. Of course there is no way to quantify that, so I guess we can just have our own opinions there.

The whole time I said the result has steered this conversation and Pete supports that with what he said.

Go back and read what I have written, it is basically a Cliff Notes of his press conference.  I will say this, that was one hell of a wild game.

I seem to recall a few years ago when Sutter pulled Marty with about 6-8 minutes to play when they were down 2 goals to the Canes. Can't recall if they scored on that or not.

Anyway, that's my contribution.

Yeah, that was crazy.  Being on the ice in that situation must be strange.

Wait, the guy saying we aren't being logical but instead swayed by the result is saying DeBoer is right by saying the result dictates if it was the right move?

Can you read?  He is obviously saying that it looks like the right decision since they scored, but he knows it would be a different if it didn't work out.

I  never said you weren't being logical, but Pete's press conference CLEARLY supports my points.

Can you read? He is obviously saying that it looks like the right decision since they scored, but he knows it would be a different if it didn't work out.

I never said you weren't being logical, but Pete's press conference CLEARLY supports my points.

I really don't get your point. Should we be results oriented in judging if the move was correct or judge it sans results?

I think we should judge the move disregarding the result. I would have said it was the right move even if they didn't score. I've been a person arguing pulling a goalie early was correct when it didn't work out. So I obviously am not arguing this point only because it worked out.

So what is the right amount of time to pull a goalie during a 5 on 3?

Chris Terreri wanted to pull Marty at 2 minutes to make it a 6 on 4. Which is a move uncolored by results and which I would have agreed with.

That's a great question, almost impossible to answer, but hopefully you don't need to, but if you do somewhere around 45-50 seconds.

I love the aggressiveness of Terreri and was thinking 6 on 4 myself, but luckily Bergeron took the DOG penalty and made that point moot.

My biggest concern is Pete's tone about shooutout's and how bad he knows the team is.  Well, Mr. Deboer, you better figure it out as I have a feeling that is gonna be the difference in making the playoffs.  I watched TBL Coach Cooper send Hedman and Salo in the shootout(first 3 shooters) last night because the normal snipers were struggling.  Pete should entertain Zids in going during the SO.

Edited by hystyk28

I really don't get your point. Should we be results oriented in judging if the move was correct or judge it sans results?

I think we should judge the move disregarding the result. I would have said it was the right move even if they didn't score. I've been a person arguing pulling a goalie early was correct when it didn't work out. So I obviously am not arguing this point only because it worked out.

Understood and agreed. 

I am just quoting Deboer supporting my statement that the tone of this forum would have been very different if they fire the puck into the EN 4 seconds later after pulling Marty,as I stated earlier in this thread.  There were people crying how the team sucks and that the season is over halfway through the game.  What would have those same people said if the outcome was different?  Trust me, you wouldn't have got a whole lot of the Pete made a great decision votes.  (I am not saying this is you)