A player to consider for next season

Marshall

I actually just saw Wedgewood play in Trenton yesterday. I liked what I saw, he seems like he could be a solid goalie in time. Trenton lost 4-1, he allowed 3 goals (plus an empty netter), but only one of them could he really do anything about. I don't know what his overall ceiling is, but I'd be interested to see more of him.

Clermont was the goalie for the other team, also. Didn't look bad but Trenton's terrible. Only goal he allowed was on a wraparound rebound.

Any idea how Clarkson's brother is doing?

He fought in the game I went to. He's a big boy. Skates just like his brother (as in...not so well). Seemed to kind of lumber around the ice. If he used his size more I think he could maybe be formidable but besides parking himself in front of Clermont on power plays, he really didn't get to phyiscal (fight notwithstanding - and he did well in the fight, but he also had a few inches and quite a bit of wingspan on the other guy).

Another Devil pick was also on Trenton, Kory Nagy, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't notice him much during the game.

i wonder if the ducks would keep hiller based on fasth's performance

I'm sure they'll keep him until next season. I think every GM realizes the stats may come out weird at the end of the year for some players, you're gonna see players have years better than they ever could have had in a full season, so I doubt you see a GM dump an NHL tested goalie that's shown flashes of being very good in Hiller for an untested newcomer from the SEL with 8 NHL games under his belt. If Fasth is willing to be a #2 or #1b until about 20 games in next season, he could be the established #1 there by then.

2-year, $5.8M extension for Viktor Fasth. #whereshiller... RT@DennisTFP That was Fasth. #Ducks G Viktor gets two year extension.

Wow, just wow. That could turn REALLY bad. I would never, ever, ever give a guy $2.9M/per after less than a dozen games. It's far too easy to get lucky for that many games. I mean, if he's good and can be good consistently, then this will be a decent contract, but if he's not a #1, that's a lot to pay for a back up.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=14362&navid=nhl:topheads <--NHL.com article on the signing.

Wow, just wow. That could turn REALLY bad. I would never, ever, ever give a guy $2.9M/per after less than a dozen games. It's far too easy to get lucky for that many games. I mean, if he's good and can be good consistently, then this will be a decent contract, but if he's not a #1, that's a lot to pay for a back up.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=14362&navid=nhl:topheads <--NHL.com article on the signing.

High risk, high reward.  If he's bonifide then the Ducks get a steal.

The thing is, Fasth is not some 21 year old phenom out of nowhere. He has several seasons under his belt in the SEL, a world championship tournament and he's 30 years old. I don't mind that contract at all - a bit surprised they made it two years but if he keeps up his level of play it's a steal.

I'll take him over the guy with vertigo.

• 1 month later...

It's time for my annual goalie scouting report (I kid, I kid...). Skelleftea's (Larsson's former team) goaltender Joacim Eriksson is fielding offers from NHL teams. Flyers drafted him in 2008 but didn't sign him. He has OK size (6'2, 196) and moves very well. His numbers aren't Fasth or Gustavsson-like but he does play for a much more offensive team and sees more odd-man rushes. He's been very good for SAIK this year and they're up 3-0 in the SEL final.  

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9784

I wouldn't mind him instead of Hedberg next year...