#41 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ledger_NJDevils

Devils' financial situation has prevented GM Lou Lamoriello from committing to re-sign Martin Brodeur so he will test market as UFA

is he making this up or he's actually saying the truth... godamnit i cant wait for all this to be over with.

www.SterioDesign.com

#42 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

He's already been overpaid for several years. He's 40. Since 2010, he ranks 40th out of 44 goalies in even strength save percentage. There's no guarantee that he will be a .910 SV% goalie next year. And he's got no options. The Devils want to be a good team, they can't afford to be giving legacy contracts.

All that said, if they settle on $3M, which is still an overpay, fine. But $5.2M? No way.

$3M is a pipedream. No way Marty signs for that. Guess what fellas? I think Marty hired an agent partially because he wants a 2 year deal....

A few teams would probably pay him $10M for 2 years...it would create a serious buzz for whatever franchise signed him, and the marketing department would have a field day. Merchandise sale$$$

I think everyone here just looks at pure numbers too much and does not look at the overall picture. The NHL is a business to make PROFIT. CASH MONEY. Even if Marty is only a shell of his former self, he will still generate a sh!t load of cash for whatever team he plays for...

Hopefully it is the DEVILS.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#43 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

We're not going to be close to the cap anyway. Give him $5m just so you do't have to answer questions for the rest of the future of the franchise why you tried to lowball the greatest goaltender of all time fresh off coming 2 wins shy of a stanley cup.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Its amazing that Lou and the Devils would wait like this with their captain and HOF player...... Did they wait with Crosby? Did the Kings let Quick 'test the waters'? NO....

First off, Marty, at this stage of his career is not as good Quick.

Second, the Devils did not "wait" to attempt to get Zach signed to a longterm deal. They clearly tried last July, and they're clearly trying now. Penguins have the money and much less debt so they could afford to give Crosby the massive deal, a massive deal to Malkin next year, and maybe Parise for all we know.

It's easy to talk about loyalty to long-time employees and what not when you're not writing the checks.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Its amazing that Lou and the Devils would wait like this with their captain and HOF player...... Did they wait with Crosby? Did the Kings let Quick 'test the waters'? NO....

I have an issue with this as well. I do not know why Lou has to wait until midnight every time? Teams try to lock up their marquee players BEFORE they can go and flirt with every other team in the league. If Lou is legitimately handcuffed by the financial situation then I accept it. However, I think it is a load of total BS and he just thinks he can play hardball with every player.

We're not going to be close to the cap anyway. Give him $5m just so you do't have to answer questions for the rest of the future of the franchise why you tried to lowball the greatest goaltender of all time fresh off coming 2 wins shy of a stanley cup.

+1

The guy has earned whatever it is he is asking for....(as long as it is his current pay and below)

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#46 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

we've discussed the parise angle a million times on why we're at the point we're at.

as for marty, he's the only one Lou DID negotiate with early so i think he's fine.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#47 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

First off, Marty, at this stage of his career is not as good Quick.

Second, the Devils did not "wait" to attempt to get Zach signed to a longterm deal. They clearly tried last July, and they're clearly trying now. Penguins have the money and much less debt so they could afford to give Crosby the massive deal, a massive deal to Malkin next year, and maybe Parise for all we know.

It's easy to talk about loyalty to long-time employees and what not when you're not writing the checks.

How hard did they really "try" last summer?!? How hard are they "trying" NOW leading up to the looming July 1 date?!?

#48 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

He's already been overpaid for several years. He's 40. Since 2010, he ranks 40th out of 44 goalies in even strength save percentage. There's no guarantee that he will be a .910 SV% goalie next year. And he's got no options. The Devils want to be a good team, they can't afford to be giving legacy contracts.

All that said, if they settle on $3M, which is still an overpay, fine. But $5.2M? No way.

Nor do we! Just give him a contract...So you overpay him for one more year. hes been underpaid for much of his prime anyway. Rather lock up a starting goalie just as a sign of stability for Parise to re-sign.

This, too.

#49 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

How hard did they really "try" last summer?!? How hard are they "trying" NOW leading up to the looming July 1 date?!?

Oh man I wish people would shut the fvck up about this. If you don't think the Devils are doing all they can to get Parise locked up while having it be financially possible, you're fvcking stupid. I'm sorry, not blaming you because this is a common theme around here, but it's so fvcking annoying that people think the devils aren't "trying hard enough".

Posted Image

#50 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Hedberg could of done what Marty did in the regular season last year. That being said just give the man 5 million and get it over with. :saddevil:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#51 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Try to actually make a profit instead of throwing away $1M on a sub-average goalie? Brodeur hasn't been 'a starting goalie' for 2 years. He had a great playoffs, but that doesn't leave me fully convinced he won't start out the season horrible (again).

The Devils took home an extra 30m and a big part of that is the "sub-average" goalie you are talking about. If the team is in that bad of fiscal shape then we wouldn't even be bothering trying to sign Parise and relegate ourselves to a floor team, 1-2m is not going to make or break this team profit wise. Again, who else are we going to put in that spot anyway and at what price?

#52 Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Allthegoodnamesweretaken

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

This may be a stupid question but would the Red Wings go after him? They've had luck with older goalies in the past. This news is making me sick.

#53 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

They were negotiating with him for about a week before they agreed to the one-year deal. Zach's agents and Lou confirmed they tried a long-term deal, but it didn't work.

I also believe there is truth to Sundstrom's claim that Zach was prepared to accept 7/50, but his agents told him not to.

The Devils are not sitting on their hands here. You're only evidence that they must be is that there isn't a deal in place.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#54 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

This may be a stupid question but would the Red Wings go after him? They've had luck with older goalies in the past. This news is making me sick.

Like someone else mentioned, he won't go anywhere to play a backup role.

Posted Image

#55 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'd rather Marty retire then see him in a different teams jersey. I will not be happy at all if he goes to a different team. I know in todays sports world that someone playing their entire career with one team isn't going to happen much anymore. I wanted Brodeur and Elias to both finish their careers as Devils. I'm not happy about waking up and reading this thread. I can't wait to this sh!t is over with.

and ugh to it being the front page of tsn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399513

Edited by Satans Hockey, 29 June 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#56 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh man I wish people would shut the fvck up about this. If you don't think the Devils are doing all they can to get Parise locked up while having it be financially possible, you're fvcking stupid. I'm sorry, not blaming you because this is a common theme around here, but it's so fvcking annoying that people think the devils aren't "trying hard enough".

The Pens did not have so much trouble with Sid did they? The Devils are probably low-balling him and will wait to see what other teams offer. At that point I hope it isn't too late. Bottom line, the Devils should have put their best offer out there and let Zach decide what to do...

#57 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

marty wants to be here. he also wants to be on a contender.

dont you think he would take a paycut to lock up parise long term???

he wants to win is all

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#58 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hedberg could of done what Marty did in the regular season last year. That being said just give the man 5 million and get it over with. :saddevil:

Moose has never been able to handle a starting role in his career. He had one season with over 50 games, and that was on a terrible Pittsburgh team. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Moose as a Flyer Sunday. Makes sense for him and them if Lou doesn't sign him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#59 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

They were negotiating with him for about a week before they agreed to the one-year deal. Zach's agents and Lou confirmed they tried a long-term deal, but it didn't work.

I also believe there is truth to Sundstrom's claim that Zach was prepared to accept 7/50, but his agents told him not to.

The Devils are not sitting on their hands here. You're only evidence that they must be is that there isn't a deal in place.

The fact remains that there is NOT a deal in place. So if Zach truly wanted to stay here, and we gave him a fair offer...WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? I figured after we failed to resign him longterm last season that he would make it to July 1 just for sh!ts and giggles to see what he is offered elsewhere.

#60 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

27m in cap space, we are 12m under the cap floor and next season another 20m+ comes off the books. We have to spend this money somewhere, we are probably going to overpay some random players to hit the floor, might as well be the guy who took a lot less and is the face of the franchise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users