GDT: ECF Game 4 - NY Rangers @ NJ Devils 5/21/12

RunninWithTheDevil

Great game! Predictable whining from Rangers fans about the officiating and players diving. They forget that their team has been outplayed in almost every period of the series. They also forget the goal scored on that gift of a power play on the Ponikarovsky call.

Hellllll yes, great win tonight it look like we completely outplayed the rags.. I like kovys quote after the game, something along the lines of -this is hockey not golf, these games are gonna be rough.

I had to work tonight so I've only seen highlights. How did JJ look?? And was kovy getting chances?

Hellllll yes, great win tonight it look like we completely outplayed the rags.. I like kovys quote after the game, something along the lines of -this is hockey not golf, these games are gonna be rough.

I had to work tonight so I've only seen highlights. How did JJ look?? And was kovy getting chances?

My favorite from that video: "This is man's game." - Ilya Kovalchuk

It feels better when they go in. :yea:

I cannot agree more!

Oh wait, is this the Devils board or the sexual fetishist posting forum?

But seriously, we needed a game like this. I think we have shaken the Rags confidence and broken their spell. They are clearly wearing down and losing the confidence they had in facing the Devs much like the Cryers did as the last series wore on. I hope I won't eat those words, but I am feeling good about both the game and series right now. We have dominated the series (although the quality of our scoring chances hasn't been as good as some think IMHO) and the payoff is about to come. Ya know, it is like when you strangle someone--at first they make a big fuss but after awhile they get all quiet and cooperative. I feel the Rangers and their little legion of blue-shirted b*tches getting quieter as the life goes out of them.... But ya got keep throttling them of they'll pipe up again!

:whistling: Of course the above post is meant as a joke.... When I strangle someone they never seem to cooperate! ;)

I don't think we've broken them by any means though they were clearly frustrated tonight...but let's face it, everyone including them knows this series comes down at this point solely to whether Lundqvist can frustrate us long enough in two games for a critical mistake (either by Marty - who does seem to let up a softie a game - or the skaters) to happen and change the game. The first four games have all started the same, with Devil dominance in the first 30-40 minutes, and the games we've won were the ones we were getting goals, while the games we lost eventually we cracked.

I don't think we've broken them by any means though they were clearly frustrated tonight...but let's face it, everyone including them knows this series comes down at this point solely to whether Lundqvist can frustrate us long enough in two games for a critical mistake (either by Marty - who does seem to let up a softie a game - or the skaters) to happen and change the game. The first four games have all started the same, with Devil dominance in the first 30-40 minutes, and the games we've won were the ones we were getting goals, while the games we lost eventually we cracked.

I only partially agree, although I take your meaning as I only meant the above partially (part seriously part tongue-in-cheek). Anyway, why I only partially agree is this: in game one we played a great first period, a mediocre to bad second period, and came back with passion in the third but still failed to score. In the third game we played exactly like you said--we dominated the first 30-40 minutes and then mostly fell apart in the third. The other two game we dominated, but even there we have difference. Tonight we completely bitched them. Game 2 otoh, we were up, we were down, we were tied, and then we won. Whereas we won comfortably tonight, game 2 was a nail biter and the boys could easily have gotten frustrated and lost that game as well.

So my feeling is that there has really only been one game where we played well thru the start only to fall apart in the end and that was game three. The first two games were more typical of the Devs not playing the damn 2nd period and then coming back out for the end of the game. This is why I don't feel like the Rags have cracked us at all. Of the 12 periods of hockey played so far, the Rags have dominated 2. Of the remaining 10 almost all have been dominated by the Devs, with a couple probably being a wash.

However, the crux of your point is hard to argue. If it wasn't for lundquiche this series would already be over and we'd be prepping for the kings. Still, despite our dominance, I feel like we haven't generated a lot of QUALITY considering the amount of time we spend in their zone. Maybe I am just spoiled.

I think the Devils did a lot of things right this game, best part was when Rupp started acting up, it was clear Rangers were showing their frustration. Devils, I feel could've done better playing between the whistles and stay out of the battles after. Poni and Kovy were two instances where Devils let themselves get carried away and need to avoid it at all costs.

Lundqvist, the toll of the playoffs is taking its place on him and he doesn't have anymore 2 day rests. I don't know how he will respond on Wednesday but I feel the Devils can now win the next two games with a tired Lundqvist, btw, he does have a huge workload, even with the blocked shots, its almost the same as a goalie save because it requires the same amount of concentration and effort which takes it toll mentally and physically.

Rangers were frustrated tonight, in a similar manner like Philly. If Devils keep this up, Rangers may actually lash out the next game and try to get Devils off their game and slow the pace down. Devils have to be patient and play whistle to whistle. Devils are clearly the stronger (to the puck), better and faster team and have been all four games, even though the score doesn't show it.

I predicted earlier, if the Devils win tonight, they win this series and I think they will do it in 6 games. This team knows how to close off a series and they did it to the Flyers. Lets Go Devils!!!

I think the Devils did a lot of things right this game, best part was when Rupp started acting up, it was clear Rangers were showing their frustration. Devils, I feel could've done better playing between the whistles and stay out of the battles after. Poni and Kovy were two instances where Devils let themselves get carried away and need to avoid it at all costs.

Lundqvist, the toll of the playoffs is taking its place on him and he doesn't have anymore 2 day rests. I don't know how he will respond on Wednesday but I feel the Devils can now win the next two games with a tired Lundqvist, btw, he does have a huge workload, even with the blocked shots, its almost the same as a goalie save because it requires the same amount of concentration and effort which takes it toll mentally and physically.

Rangers were frustrated tonight, in a similar manner like Philly. If Devils keep this up, Rangers may actually lash out the next game and try to get Devils off their game and slow the pace down. Devils have to be patient and play whistle to whistle. Devils are clearly the stronger (to the puck), better and faster team and have been all four games, even though the score doesn't show it.

I predicted earlier, if the Devils win tonight, they win this series and I think they will do it in 6 games. This team knows how to close off a series and they did it to the Flyers. Lets Go Devils!!!

I agree. Despite my colorful Language above, this is what I was trying to say. The Rags style of play is just bound to catch up with them. They've caught virtually every bounce and avoided every injury and it still isn't enough. I feel like this series is heading in the direction of the Flyers series. Started out hard, got heated, and then went out with a whimper. We will see if the last part turns out that way.

As an aside, I am really disappointed in Rupp. Despite being a Rag, Rupp is an ex-Devil and a former scorer of a cup winning goal. He just doesn't seem like the same player we once had. Tough, passionate, yes.... But dirty? No thanks!

Fetisov and Brylin in the house!

After the game I'm walking with my friends on Mulberry towards the PATH train when a guy in a suit passes us-it's Slava, then another guy right behind him-it's Brylin, I yell out "Sergei" and he actually stops.

I walk over and shake hands with him. Devils win and I meet my all time fave Devil-perfect ending to a fantastic day! :boogie:

Anyone mind if I do the GDT again for game 5? Try to keep the streak goin? I'm undefeated in the playoffs 2-0 :P

My last win was game 5 of the Flyers series ;)

I dunno, man...I was kinda hoping I could do it and try to end my 374-game winless streak with GDTs...

Oh well. A goal that doesn't get through 95% of the time, a terrible play by Del Zotto and then the Rangers D letting Parise whack away at rebounds. As if they were just waiting for their turn to get the puck. Like I said on Wednesday, I expected a split in NJ (although did want last night's game). Rangers win the next 2 and move onto the finals. Queue Triumph with some Fenwick and Corsi numbers and an explanation about why the Rangers won't win 2 in a row.

Oh well. A goal that doesn't get through 95% of the time, a terrible play by Del Zotto and then the Rangers D letting Parise whack away at rebounds. As if they were just waiting for their turn to get the puck. Like I said on Wednesday, I expected a split in NJ (although did want last night's game). Rangers win the next 2 and move onto the finals. Queue Triumph with some Fenwick and Corsi numbers and an explanation about why the Rangers won't win 2 in a row.

Uh huh.

love the fact that petey had the balls to bench a vet like sykora instead of a 4th liner. and it paid off nicely. also. its nice to see the refs "anticipating" the rangers dirty tactics (even though they missed a few)

zubrus is in beast mode and is skating very well too, zach is wi8nning everything too. thank God for fayne and greene. totally enjoying this series. although I hold my breath every time kovy is in our end, and actually glad when he leaves the ice now

is there a way to guarantee him and clarkson only get O-zone starts???? lol

JJ and henrique are bailing those two out defensively!

good game marty :koolaid: