Jay Bouwmeester pleads guilty to drunk driving

thefiestygoat

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news...6ac&k=21071

Professional hockey player Jay Bouwmeester pleaded guilty this morning to impaired driving.

The Edmonton-born defenceman, who plays for the Florida Panthers, was fined $1,000, plus a $150 victims' services surcharge. His driver's licence was suspended in Canada for 12 months, but the judge said he didn't know what that would mean for driving in Florida.

An off-duty officer saw Bouwmeester driving erratically in Old Strathcona at about 4 a.m. on Aug. 12, 2006. He had to swerve to avoid a collision with Bouwmeester's truck and watched him make an illegal right turn over two lanes.

Once he was pulled over, Bouwmeester apologized to the officer. When asked why he was apologizing, he said, "because I was driving and I had too much too drink."

He faced one charge of impaired driving and one of driving with a blood-alcohol level over .08. He said nothing in court today other than "Guilty."

------------

Hopefully he learned his lesson. I wonder if there is any action taken against him by the NHL?

Kick him from the league. This sh!t disgusts me, especially considering he is a young kid. What if he hit some family? This can never be tolerated and is a total joke that people are given a slap on the wrist for it.

Be responsible when you drink, or dont drink at all. period.

Yea, thats exactly what you do....kick him from the league along with the other huge portion who drink and drive but never got caught.

Kicking him out of the leauge wont help and is not a good idea.

There seems to be a lot of this in the NHL at the moment, and it needs to be adressed.

I dont know if this goes on in the NHL , but all youth football players in England have to go through education sessions on alcohol abuse, and i know in some clubs such as united that the implimented a policy that if you get caught doing in the most servere action is they can terminate your contract.

After all this came in the number of players involved in incidents came right down.

There will be an absolutely huge discrepancy between that treatment that Bouwmeester gets from the league and what Bell got. The league will make an example of the lessers of the league and discretions by the stars will get swept under the carpet.

Yea, thats exactly what you do....kick him from the league along with the other huge portion who drink and drive but never got caught.

Start somewhere. He doesn't deserve to play if he is that socially irresponsible.

Kicking him out of the leauge wont help and is not a good idea.

I dont think its going to help. I think its punishment for doing something really stupid. Its not about learning a lesson or setting a standard, its about holding people accountable.

Edited by squishyx

Start somewhere. He doesn't deserve to play if he is that socially irresponsible.

I dont think its going to help. I think its punishment for doing something really stupid. Its not about learning a lesson or setting a standard, its about holding people accountable.

The problem with that is a lot of athletes are irresponsible. We just don't hear about them and that probably includes your team. I guess they should just kick out everyone.

I really don't care if an athlete goes our and gets drunk and sleeps with Paris Hilton. I'd care if he drove while intoxicated and put other peoples lives in danger because of his or her own stupidity.

Drunk driving is never excusable and no one should be above it.