Cory Schneider Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

• 2 weeks later...

He's at .931 since 11/11.  Sadly the Devils are 12-15-6 overall since that date (even great goaltending can't buoy this group much). 

Marty was awesome for much of his Devils career in an entirely different way, but having a guy following him who should be anywhere from .920-.930 for at least the next 4-5 seasons (barring health issues or sudden loss of skill)...we really are pretty blessed.  Almost like going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck. 

Cory is not the problem. The 5 guys standing in front of him are, especially the 3 up front. As I have said in previous threads, we aren't going to contend scoring on average 2 goals per game.

Doesn't matter how good Cory is, our record is proof of that. 

Looking at other goalies night in and night out Im very pleased with schnieder. and glad we have him locked up long term. I think his technical style will hold up long term. he's shown the ability to correct flaws on the fly and to bounce back from bad outings, two key traits.  a top american made butterfly goalie.

our back checking has been way better as of late and cory's stats have drifted upward!

Looking at other goalies night in and night out Im very pleased with schnieder. and glad we have him locked up long term. I think his technical style will hold up long term. he's shown the ability to correct flaws on the fly and to bounce back from bad outings, two key traits.  a top american made butterfly goalie.

our back checking has been way better as of late and cory's stats have drifted upward!

Yup, his technique doesn't seem to put the wear and tear on his body the way, say, Jonathan Quick does. I've loved his technique ever since his first start, it's very safe and structured, very poised.

There is only so much a man can do. Cory did everything that could possibly be asked of him tonight. There's a bad team in front of him.

Can't remember the last time Marty had a performance like that. I mean I'm sure he had as many saves on as many shots or thereabouts every so often, but can't remember getting outshot so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't remember the last time Marty had a performance like that. I mean I'm sure he had as many saves on as many shots or thereabouts every so often, but can't remember getting outshot so badly.

Well, for most of Marty's career we were a very competitive team. The only years where we even missed the playoffs was 95-96, 10-11, 2013 and 13-14. Outside of those years, we always had pretty good teams that would rarely, if ever, get outplayed so badly that we were outshot nearly 4-1.

It has been a long time for sure. This was kind of the shock we had as fans of getting used to Marty's decline. At one point, he just never stole games anymore. Sure he had some throwback performances, but none were juggernaut-ish. 

Schneids almost stole that one last night. 12 sog for us? I love this guy, he's going to give us a chance to win every night.

This is a very valid point. Imagine if we had one verified offensive stud and one or two other 20 goal type guys, it'd be a totally different season because of Cory's ability to keep us in games.

I don't know if he was rusty the first 15-20 games when he was giving up some questionable goals and scaring us all, but he has definitely settled in.

6th in save% at .924, somehow 10th in GAA. He should be a Vezina finalist if he finishes the season with a save% approaching .930 and keeps helping the Devils win games that they have no business winning, but the fact that he's playing on a crappy team will probably be unfairly held against him.

6th in save% at .924, somehow 10th in GAA. He should be a Vezina finalist if he finishes the season with a save% approaching .930 and keeps helping the Devils win games that they have no business winning, but the fact that he's playing on a crappy team will probably be unfairly held against him.

Losses will definitely be held against him. Especially when there are goaltenders putting up better numbers on winning teams. The race at the moment is Price-Rinne-Holtby. Craig Anderson and Steve Mason are toe to toe stat-wise with Cory, but I think Cory is above them on the Vezina list because he has played so many more games than both of them. Elliot at .924 has much better numbers than Cory as far as W-L and GAA goes but I think he also is below Cory because he has only played 26 games. As of now, MA Fleury might be above Cory in the voters' heads because of his 8 shutouts. If Fleury Can put up 12 shutouts, maintain his 2.25 GAA/.922 save percentage, and get the 42 or so wins he is on pace for, then you can bet he'll be a favorite for the Vezina despite not being very good.

Edited by Neb00rs

Well this game makes you appreciate Cory more, cause as well as Keith's been playing even he couldn't keep the rotting fish above water tonight the way Cory has.

To be fair, Montreal is a much better team than than the last three we beat. Hopefully this team can give Cory something to work with when we play Chicago on Friday.