Devils sign C Joseph Blandisi to Entry Level Contract

Triumph

I know there's been some talk in the Prospect Thread about this, but I imagine not everyone goes there, and it's been a pretty slow week anyway.

Blandisi is 20 years old and is tearing up the OHL as an overage player - he has 30 goals and 39 assists in 39 games.  He was a 6th round draft pick of the Avalanche in 2012, but for one reason or another he wasn't signed there.  I never have high hopes for overage players but he may have turned a corner so who knows.

Overage kid tearing up the OHL who was a 6th-rounder.  Sure, it'd be great he surprised everyone, but he probably won't.

Seems like a situation close to Charles Sarault who went on a tear playing with Reid Boucher in Sarnia, although Sarault was undrafted.  Sarault got signed by Anaheim and has put up about .25 to .3 points per game in the AHL in what covers about two seasons. 

So I wouldn't count on this guy being a diamond in the rough. 

Seems like a situation close to Charles Sarault who went on a tear playing with Reid Boucher in Sarnia, although Sarault was undrafted. Sarault got signed by Anaheim and has put up about .25 to .3 points per game in the AHL in what covers about two seasons.

So I wouldn't count on this guy being a diamond in the rough.

Sarault played between Yakupov and Boucher. I doubt Blandisi has wingers like that

this reminds me of Charles Sarault from the Sarnia Sting, I remember we were a few guys wondering if we should sign him cause he was doing really well in the OHL and the ducks signed him.

just went back and look how he did since and it's pretty average. Of course we dont know the conditions and everything so it's hard to say just by looking at numbers.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=31563

That's the 2nd facile comparison to Charles Sarault - I guess you didn't read the thread since someone already mentioned him - but Sarault is being outgoaled by Blandisi already and it's only January.

CHLStats has a cool feature where they age adjust everyone's numbers - although I'm not sure of how they do it, so it may be flawed (there seem to be all kinds of survivorship bias issues potentially) - either way, Blandisi ranks about 30th in points per game age adjusted.  Not great, but not terrible either. 

Edited by Triumph

That's the 2nd facile comparison to Charles Sarault - I guess you didn't read the thread since someone already mentioned him - but Sarault is being outgoaled by Blandisi already and it's only January.

CHLStats has a cool feature where they age adjust everyone's numbers - although I'm not sure of how they do it, so it may be flawed (there seem to be all kinds of survivorship bias issues potentially) - either way, Blandisi ranks about 30th in points per game age adjusted.  Not great, but not terrible either. 

Either way I see no reason to not sign the guy.