Bettman mentions returning to Winnipeg

Derek21

:cues annabelle reaction: :evil::doh1:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209177&hubname=

Canadian Press

5/28/2007 8:19:43 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. (CP) - NHL commissioner Gary Bettman gave his strongest indication yet Monday that having a team return to Winnipeg could happen one day.

Bettman, in his state-of-the union address to the media before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final, referred to an editorial in a Canadian newspaper he read this week which suggested that if the NHL did add another Canadian team it should go back to Winnipeg first because they have a new building and the NHL owes it to them.

"I'm not opining on whether or not that's an opinion that I agree with, but it is an interesting and intriguing thought," Bettman said in a comment that raised eyebrows.

While he stressed that there really hadn't been that much thought put into it at this point and that he had no plans for any current NHL teams to re-locate or for the league to expand, he does see the chance for Winnipeg to get a team back one day.

"When we had the chance to go back to Minnesota, we did. Because it made sense, the right ownership, the right building situation," said Bettman. "The market was strong and vibrant. We haven't studied Quebec City or Winnipeg or anywhere else in Canada, but the notion that if it could work to put a franchise back in a place where one was lost, feels good - provided we don't wind up in a situation where we've created a prescription for another failing franchise.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be cool to have a franchise back in Winnipeg. However I do not know as much about the area and how good they can support a team due to things like economics and general population aspects that would affect an NHL franchise as much as other posters around here. I just think it would be nice to restore a franchise that was lost.

Way to get the douches here in winnipegs hopes up..now for SURe all I will hear about is..OMG THE JETS ARE COMING BACK! doooo-shbagsss....

I was sure that Balsille couldn't move the Preds for seven years of becoming owner UNLESS he got the ok from the NHL. It's not that I don't want a franchise in Winnipeg, I just wish that these idiots would stop saying the "jets are coming back' and get it through their thick skulls that if a team came here, they wouldn't be the jets..These are the same morons that, at every hockey event, are wearing the jkets jerseys and holding up signs that read, "bring em back" "go jets" and other lame things, all the while screaming GO JETS GO GO JETS GO! Really it's embarassing

Besides IF a team came here the "fans" would only sell out the mts for 2 seasons tops and then the novelty would wear off, and people would be scared to go to the mts because of all the homeless people and aggressive beggers that congregate around the arena which is right downtown and around the side streets that lead to the parking lots which are both VERY dimly lit.

I'm all for teams moving further west. We need to get teams like Dallas and Minnesota out of their division, where they are going through two time zones 4-5 times a year.

I'm actually all for scrapping this Eastern, Northeast Division crap and putting the teams into 2 divisions...one in the WALES conference and one in the CAMPBELL conference, and based the alignment based on what is good for hockey.

Teams have private jets, travel IMO is a touch overrated. It is not like Mike Modano is in coach, has a crying baby sitting in front of him and is being served a cold ham sandwich while watching 'Sweet Home Alabama" on the tiny movie screen.

does the city of Winnipeg have a lot of potential to grow?

was the city of Winnipeg a huge hockey hotbed - was their attendance great?

Can the city of Winnipeg generate the $40 million in ticket sales and concessions to compete as a National Hockey League franchise?

They're not going back there.

Stop saying it like you really know. You act like it's fact. I hope they do get a team and sellout every game.

Kansas City will tempt the league though, a sweetheart arena deal, even better than the one in Nashville, and the NHL's highest local TV ratings for a non-NHL market? Plus a natural rivalry with the Blues and Hawks? In a blue collar town and a state where hockey is clearly flourishing, and will only get better when the Blues contend again?

That'll be a tough one to pass up.

does the city of Winnipeg have a lot of potential to grow?

was the city of Winnipeg a huge hockey hotbed - was their attendance great?

Can the city of Winnipeg generate the $40 million in ticket sales and concessions to compete as a National Hockey League franchise?

They're not going back there.

The city has major "potential" to grow, but it is not going to. The city planners created the "perimeter highway" that's purpose was the make all areas of the city accessible quickly. Instead the perimeter highway has miles of empty space between it and the closest civilization. So I guess I'm saying that geographically the city has potential but major economic growth. Winnipegs not getting a team..thank god...

I don't understand why people insist on calling Winnipeg a "hockey hotbed". Sure there are alot of hockey fans here but it is the same amount as any other Canadian city. The people here call themselves hockey crazy but cannot even get out and support the Moose, and every true hockey fan knows the AHl is the best way to catch a glimpse of the huge future talents, or any other minor team.

Edited by annabelle

The city has major "potential" to grow, but it is not going to. The city planners created the "perimeter highway" that's purpose was the make all areas of the city accessible quickly. Instead the perimeter highway has miles of empty space between it and the closest civilization. So I guess I'm saying that geographically the city has potential but major economic growth. Winnipegs not getting a team..thank god...

I don't understand why people insist on calling Winnipeg a "hockey hotbed". Sure there are alot of hockey fans here but it is the same amount as any other Canadian city. The people here call themselves hockey crazy but cannot even get out and support the Moose, and every true hockey fan knows the AHl is the best way to catch a glimpse of the huge future talents, or any other minor team.

Again. Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team? I'll never understand why you wouldn't want one. It would be a chance to see your Canucks.

Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team?

You can't prove a negative. I have no definitive proof that Sydney Australia isn't getting a team.

The economy of Winnipeg has been stagnant for years. They don't have the population base to generate enough revenues to cover the costs of an NHL team. Using all reason, there is no way that any businessman would put a team there. There was an independent study to check the feasibility of generating a profit in Winnipeg and the conclusion was that if they sold out every single game and they operated at the NHL floor, then they could get a slim profit. But what is the likelihood of selling out every game if you are always operating at the floor?

Again. Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team? I'll never understand why you wouldn't want one. It would be a chance to see your Canucks.

It's not that I don't want a franchise here..I guess I am just sick of hearing people get all fired up about "the jets coming back" every time someone even mentions anything about possible relocation of a franchise. I don't really care if this city gets one or not..I'm outta here by this time next year..Who wants to play in Winnipeg anyway?

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.