2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

You have to assume that getting either of those two onto the ice and perform at a level warranting a full time spot, even assuming we'd draft Gauthier, is going to take a good 3-5 years, so who knows what would be going on then. Almost always the better bet to take the more skilled player. You can teach hockey, can't teach natural talent.

i wouldnt say that gauthier isnt a skilled forward though. He is getting picked mid to late first round. I mean, if the devils are picking late in the first how much better is it going to be. His size could be a huge asset if he develops right. And the whole "if he develops right" can be said for any player that gets drafted. You just dont know how a kid is going to turn out.

i wouldnt say that gauthier isnt a skilled forward though. He is getting picked mid to late first round. I mean, if the devils are picking late in the first how much better is it going to be. His size could be a huge asset if he develops right. And the whole "if he develops right" can be said for any player that gets drafted. You just dont know how a kid is going to turn out.

Very true, I was making the general point that it's the safer bet to always draft the most skilled player available. This obviously is easier said than done as it's not always a linear thing to project an athlete's potential, but when you're talking the first half of the draft, drafting best available is the way to go. If you can find some bottom 6 gems in rounds 4-7, then draft for need over skill, but in rounds 1-3, you'll see more return for your picks, on average, if you draft for skill over need.

What has happened about the tickets to this event? When and how will they be given?

I imagine we won't hear diddly squat about it until almost April. I also assume sth will get priority for tix, though demand will be low enough that it doesn't matter. I wouldn't worry much, I don't think you'd have an issue showing up on draft day and just walking in.

If you really want to know, you should just call the Pru center box office and see if they can give you an answer.

I actually like this a lot, no need for an insanely long 1st round:

@RenLavoieRDS

"NHL draft will be June 30th. All 7 rounds."

It'll still be an insanely long first round, they'll probably start it at like 11 or 12 and have three hours, then go to the rest of the draft. It'll probably be an all-day outing at the Prudential Center if you're going.

ISS Top 30 January Rankings

1. Seth Jones RD

2. Nathan MacKinnon C

3. Jonathan Drouin C

4. Aleksander Barkov C

5. Sean Monahan C

6. Elias Lindholm C

7. Valery Nichushkin LW

8. Rasmus Ristolainen RD

9. Nikita Zadorov LD

10. Darnell Nurse LD

Craig Button's Top 75 January Rankings

1. Seth Jones D

2. Nathan MacKinnon C

3. Alexander Barkov C

4. Jonathan Drouin C

5. Valeri Nichushkin LW

6. Sean Monahan C

7. Nikita Zadorov D

8. Elias Lindholm C

9. Darnell Nurse D

10. Josh Morrissey D

It'll still be an insanely long first round, they'll probably start it at like 11 or 12 and have three hours, then go to the rest of the draft. It'll probably be an all-day outing at the Prudential Center if you're going.

I kind of like that. I can stick around if I'm having fun or I can bail whenever I feel like it, since I know I won't be staying the whole 7 rounds anyway.

I kind of like that. I can stick around if I'm having fun or I can bail whenever I feel like it, since I know I won't be staying the whole 7 rounds anyway.

Yup! It's a deep draft so it'll be nice to go watch the first round and stick around till whenever you feel like bailing. I can't wait to find out when/how to get tix.

I just can't take Button seriously after 2011 when he said that Larsson would fall to the Senators at #6 when it was glaringly obvious that the Devils were praying he fell to them at 4.

That's understandable. I don't trust Button's list as much as other ones but I like how he isn't afraid to go off the wall a bit.

I forgot to post the Hockey Prospect list for January.

Future Considerations January Rankings

1). D Seth Jones, Portland, WHL, 6-4, 205

2). RW/C Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax, QMJHL, 6-0, 180

3). C Aleksander Barkov, Tappara, SM-liiga, 6-2, 205

4). C/LW Jonathan Drouin, Halifax, QMJHL, 5-11, 175

5). C Elias Lindholm, Brynas, Elitserien, 6-0, 185

6). C Sean Monahan, Ottawa, OHL, 6-2, 195

7). D Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL, 6-4, 185

8). D Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS, SM-Liiga, 6-3, 205

9). D Nikita Zadorov, London, OHL, 6-5, 225

10). LW Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat, WHL, 6-0, 175

I have a feeling that were gonna draft Domi, dont know why

Button's scouting report on Domi is encouraging and sounds just like a player that would fit well with the Devils. He is going to turn 18 on March 2nd and is just 5'9 though his weight seems fine at 193 lbs. Hopefully he grows at least another inch or two.

The two guys I'd really like to see the Devils try to draft are Curtis Lazar or Ryan Hartman. I think either of them would fit in perfectly here.

The two guys I'd really like to see the Devils try to draft are Curtis Lazar or Ryan Hartman. I think either of them would fit in perfectly here.

Yes, I'd be fine with either of those guys. Lazar stock has plummeted, he was top 10, now just outside of the top 20. Apparently he is an excellent two-way guy. As for Hartman, he reminds me to Matteau kind of, but you can't have enough players like them in your system. Fast, aggressive, and not afraid to use the body.

Craig Button's Top 75 for February

1. Seth Jones D Portland (WHL)

2. Nathan MacKinnon C Halifax (QMJHL)

3. Aleksander Barkov C Tappara (FIN)

4. Jonathan Drouin LW Halifax (QMJHL)

5. Valeri Nichushkin LW Chelijabinsk 2 (RUS)

6. Sean Monahan C Ottawa (OHL)

7. Elias Lindholm C Brynas (SWE)

8. Nikita Zadorov D London (OHL)

9. Darnell Nurse D Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

10. Zachary Fucale G Halifax (QMJHL)