2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

Being that the Devils will likely need some serious scoring talent in the future, I'm becoming interested in Artturi Lehkonen. Does anybody know much about him? It seems that his stock is falling just a bit, but it could be a potentially good late first round pick.

Being that the Devils will likely need some serious scoring talent in the future, I'm becoming interested in Artturi Lehkonen. Does anybody know much about him? It seems that his stock is falling just a bit, but it could be a potentially good late first round pick.

I didn't know much about him but I did some quick searching around. Interesting to see that the Bob McKenzie/TSN list that is essentially a survey of scouts has him ranked 40th while Craig Button ranks him 16th. Future Considerations ranked him 20th in their January ranking and Hockey Prospect ranked him 23rd in their January rankings.

According to EliteProspects he is 2nd in scoring on his team (40 GP 13-16-29) in the SM-Liiga and he is also 2nd in undrafted prospect scoring for the league (11 points behind Barkov). He ended up being tied for 5th in draft eligible scoring in the WJC (6 GP 3-1-4) and he impressed a few scouts at Future Considerations, getting some votes towards their WJC All-Star team.

He'll turn 18 a few days after the draft and EliteProspects list him at 5'10 152 so he'll definitely need to bulk up more. Listed as a left handed shot that can play either wing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some new rankings...

Future Considerations February Rankings (Top 30)

1. Seth Jones D
2. Nathan MacKinnon RW/C
3. Aleksander Barkov C
4. Jonathan Drouin C/LW
5. Elias Lindholm C
6. Sean Monahan C
7. Darnell Nurse D
8. Rasmus Ristolainen D
9. Hunter Shinkaruk LW
10. Nikita Zadorov D

Hockey Prospect February Rankings (Top 30)

1. Nathan MacKinnon C
2. Seth Jones D
3. Jonathan Drouin LW
4. Valeri Nichushkin RW
5. Alexander Barkov C
6. Elias Lindholm C
7. Sean Monahan C
8. Joshua Morrissey D
9. Hunter Shinkaruk C
10. Rasmus Ristolainen D

The NHL.com guys put up their mock drafts (obviously early but still fun). All 3 have Jones and MacKinnon going 1-2 but then differ a lot after that.

Steven Hoffner has the Devils selecting 6'3 183 RC Justin Bailey from Kitchener (OHL) who won't turn 18 till a few days after the draft. Season: 49 GP 17-18-35 +24 24 PIM Recent rankings for Bailey are 48 (Craig Button), not in top 30 (Future Considerations and Hockey Prospect).

Adam Kimelman has the Devils taking 6'2 176 LC Jason Dickinson from Guelph (OHL) who also won't turn 18 until a few days after the draft. Season: 58 GP 17-24-41 +16 27 PIM Recent rankings for Dickinson are 25 (Craig Button), not in top 30 (Future Considerations), and 22 (Hockey Prospect). The 2012 NHL Draft Black Book from Hockey Prospect talked a bit about Dickinson after his first season in the OHL.

He protects the puck well and skates smoothly up ice. Dickinson will battle for the puck and appeared to win more battles as the year went on. He will be a real force after a couple more years of building strength in the off season. He has ideal positioning and can make quick decisions with the puck.

Mike G. Morreale has my favorite scenario where the Devils select 6'0 198 RC Curtis Lazar from Edmonton (WHL). Season: 64 GP 33-17-50 +21 31 PIM - If this guy is available in the mid/late 1st round where the Devils will likely pick, I hope they grab him. Solid 2 way forward. He was just mentioned in Future Considerations Draft Risers:

Edmonton Oil Kings forward Curtis Lazar has always taken pride in his two-way game but as pressure to produce more on the score sheet this season crept in, he has answered the bell. After producing just 15 goals in almost 40 games, Lazar has jumped out of the gate in 2013 putting up the same totals in half the games played all the while continuing his impressive defensive play.

Those who were asking, ‘How can you have a kid who is not producing like a first rounder rated so high’ do not see the value a prospect like Lazar has to the overall outcome of his teams game but now have no choice but to see his positive impact.

Recent rankings for Lazar are 24 (Craig Button), 23 (Future Considerations), and 25 (Hockey Prospect). The 2012 NHL Draft Black Book from Hockey Prospect had this to say on Lazar after his first WHL season last year:

Offensively, Lazar has a good set of skills. He is not great in any particular area, but he is solid in all parts of his game. He has very good vision and makes the right reads. He can make those difficult passes and not turn them over, but needs to pick his spots better to try to thread it into tight spaces. He has a very good release to his shots, but must improve on accuracy.

Defensively, Lazar is solid in his own zone. He is very strong along the boards, and puts in a high level of effort at all times. He is not afraid to block shots and take hits to make plays for his team. He is smart without the puck, and is always in the right spot and positions himself to be a factor in the defensive zone.

Last night I was browsing through the 2012 Hockey Prospect Black Book at the 2013 eligibles because I am an insomniac and I came across of a couple of USNTDP guys that intrigued me as mid-round picks.

Hudson Fasching is a right handed RW in the USNTDP listed at 6'2 214. Will be just 17 when the draft comes around. Craig Button ranked him 74 on his list at TSN. I love power forward projects and he could be a solid 3rd round pick for the Devils. Season: 48 GP 10-12-22 +5 54 PIM this year for the USNTDP U-18. Committed to Minnesota next year but Kelowna holds his junior rights

Another USNTDP player that is interesting is 6'1 208 RD Steven Santini. 2-way, physical, skates well, and is comfortable with the puck. Craig Button recently ranked Santini 39. He's committed to Boston College (NCAA) but his junior rights are held by Peterborough (OHL). He's doesn't project to put up points but does a lot well to help the team.

If the Devils draft late in the first and miss out on guys like Mantha, Gauthier, or even Lazar, I'm really interested in Andre Burakovsky. I know the Devils haven't been so lucky with highly skilled prospects lately, especially those from Sweden. But like it or not, it is an area that the team with lack in the coming years. If I recall correctly, he was a mid first round guy earlier on, but has since slipped to 29-30 at best, and in some cases he's nearing the middle of the second round.

Kerby Rychel seems like a decent choice, too.

If the Devils draft late in the first and miss out on guys like Mantha, Gauthier, or even Lazar, I'm really interested in Andre Burakovsky. I know the Devils haven't been so lucky with highly skilled prospects lately, especially those from Sweden. But like it or not, it is an area that the team with lack in the coming years. If I recall correctly, he was a mid first round guy earlier on, but has since slipped to 29-30 at best, and in some cases he's nearing the middle of the second round.

Kerby Rychel seems like a decent choice, too.

I wasn't that familiar with these guys so I looked up some info on them. Andre Burakowsky was ranked as high as 8th in Hockey Prospect's November rankings then fell to 23rd in December and has kept falling.

Latest Rankings: Craig Button/Future Considerations/Hockey Prospect

Anthony Mantha 17/19/18

Frederik Gauthier 19/13/17

Andre Burakovsky 44/29/29

Kerby Rychel 23/24/26

Basic Info:

6'3 200 LW Anthony Mantha (Val-d'Or QMJHL): 60 GP 45-37-82 +19 67 PIM* 9th in Scoring, 1st in Goals, 1st in Shots (285)

6'4 215 LC Frederik Gauthier (Rimouski QMJHL): 54 GP 19-37-56 +23 26 PIM* 3rd in Rookie Scoring

6'1 176 LW Andre Burakovsky (Malmo Allsvenskan): 40 GP 4-6-10 -1 8 PIM

6'1 200 LW Kerby Rychel (Windsor OHL): 60 GP 35-42-77 -16 68 PIM* 9th in Scoring, Tied 6th in Goals, Tied 13th in Assists

There have been a lot of rumblings from scouts/reporters about Drouin passing MacKinnon and the new Red Line Report rankings have just that:

1. Seth Jones D
2. Jonathan Drouin LW
3. Nathan MacKinnon C
4. Aleksander Barkov C
5. Sean Monahan C
6. Valeri Nichushkin RW
7. Elias Lindholm C
8. Darnell Nurse D
9. Rasmus Ristolainen D
10. Adam Erne RW

Also has risers and fallers and talks about a trio of Kelowna d-men who are teammates of Devils prospect, Damon Severson.

Edited by thefiestygoat

The Scouting Report just released their March Top 60 which includes blurbs on all the prospects. It's an interesting read.

As of this early stage, I'd be interested in RC Curtis Lazar, LC Jason Dickinson, RW Valentin Zykov, RW Ryan Hartman, and RD Madison Bowey as possible 1st round picks assuming the Devils draft late. RW Justin Bailey is interesting but he seems more like a 2nd rounder given his project status.

I haven't followed the goalies much in this draft but their description of Edmonton Oil King's G Tristan Jarry is intriguing:

Has had a big season as the understudy to Laurent Brossoit...Plays a throwback hybrid style of goaltending...Likes to challenge shooters and come out to the white ice...Hasn't had the workload of some of his peers but that shouldn't hurt his stock come draft day

His current stats: 25 GP 16-7-0-0 6 SO 1.66 GAA .933 SV%

Edited by thefiestygoat

Craig Button's March Top 75 is up now. He also now has Drouin ahead of MacKinnon. Top 10:

1. Seth Jones D (Portland WHL)
2. Jonathan Drouin LW (Halifax QMJHL)
3. Nate MacKinnon C (Halifax QMJHL)
4. Aleksander Barkov C (Tappara FIN)
5. Valeri Nichushkin LW (Chelijabinsk 2 RUS)
6. Darnell Nurse D (Sault Ste. Marie OHL)
7. Sean Monahan C (Ottawa OHL)
8. Elias Lindholm C (Brynas SWE)
9. Nikita Zadorov D (London OHL)
10. Zachary Fucale G (Halifax QMJHL)

D Jordan Subban up to 36 from 54.  
RW Zach Nastasiuk up to 47 from 59.
RW Jimmy Lodge up to 49 from unranked.

LW Andre Burakowsky continues to fall, this time from 44 to 46.
RW Juuso Ikonen falls from 40 to 60.

Future Considerations Top 30 for March

1. Seth Jones D (Portland - WHL)
2. Nathan MacKinnon RW/C (Halifax - QMJHL)
3. Jonathan Drouin C/LW (Halifax - QMJHL)
4. Aleksander Barkov C (Tappara - SM-Liiga)
5. Darnell Nurse D (Sault Ste. Marie - OHL)
6. Elias Lindholm C (Brynas - Elitserien)
7. Sean Monahan C (Ottawa - OHL)
8. Valeri Nichushkin LW/C (Chelyabinsk - KHL)
9. Hunter Shinkaruk LW (Medicine Hat - WHL)
10. Rasmus Ristolainen D (TPS - SM-Liiga)

Nurse continues to rise, Burakovsky continues to fall.

Future Considerations: Speedy (Creek) Development for Heatherington. Article is about Swift Current D prospect, Dillon Heatherington, who is partnered with the Devils own prospect Reece Scarlett. Maybe he'll be on the Devils draft radar. He should be around the 3rd round range at this point.

Playing for the Swift Current Broncos has afforded defenseman Dillon Heatherington many of luxuries.

The one he’s most thankful for? Reece Scarlett.

The 2013 NHL Draft eligible rearguard has been paired almost exclusively with the New Jersey Devils prospect, helping accelerate the development of the six-foot-four tower with not only a veteran partner, but all the action he can handle as part of Speedy Creek’s top pairing.

“It just gives me more confidence,” Heatherington said. “Scarlett, my d-partner, has been helping me out with that. He’s always been playing those minutes and I’ve just been slowly matching him. It’s been going really good. I’m learning lots.”

“Our leadership group here is really strong with Scarlett, (Adam) Lowry and Coda (Gordon) and (Graham) Black,” Heatherington said. “We definitely have quite a few guys that have been in the position that I’ve been in. They’ve helped me out a lot with my confidence and what not.”

The Scouting Report: March Top 60

11 page .pdf that has blurbs on each of their top 60. It's a nice read.

As good as Nichushkin is, I don't seem as 2nd best in the Draft, I see Drouin and Mackinnon both ahead of him. I see Nichushkin in the 7th-10th area, if he played in NA I think he would be Top 5, but a lot of teams get scared off by the Russian/KHL risk.

I'm really interested in seeing where he goes since all the lists have him all over the place. Should be fun to track on draft day.

Re; your mock draft: I'd be very happy with Gauthier going to the Devils - big (6'4 215) center who just had a monster rookie season in the Q (62 GP 22-38-60 +22) which was 4th in rookie scoring as a 17 year old. Out of curiousity, where did you have Curtis Lazar ranked/going?

I had him 26th to Vancouver, I think he would be a great pick though if the Devils took him, very smart hockey player. I could see him going higher than that easily honestly.

I think a lot of people don't want Lazar because he's too much like JJ

Edit- if we do miss the playoffs and pick 10th, I would love to have Shinkaruk

Edited by SMantzas

• 2 weeks later...