Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Yeah! The nerve of them! Who the hell are they to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue the franchise from debt and (possible) league takeover. To provide the financial security the organization has never enjoyed before and are willing to provide that to win. To leave a HOF executive to do his thing and not interfere. To commit to the state of NJ and finally have the resources to keep the team here long term. To have a plan to market them the way they should have been for 30 years. THE shame on these new owners!!! Who do they think they are? 

I'll believe the commitment of the new owners to financing and marketing this team when I actually see it.  All owners come in saying great things, no matter how rich they are.  They're like politicians promising the moon to their constituents.  Plus, it's no secret that they wanted the arena and basically had no choice but to buy the team with it.  For me, their actions will speak louder than words and, thus far, their actions have pissed off a large part of the fanbase (monitoring ticket resales, changing the goal song) which is not a great way to start things out. 

The lack of ticket deals thus far is more concerning from my point of view.  Not because I need them for myself.  But because we couldn't even sell out on opening night, a Friday no less, against the Islanders.  That's not a good sign for things to come, like a Wed. game vs. Columbus or Carolina.  I personally would rather have a full building (like most of last season) than worry about my ticket resale value as a STH.

In bold:  I don't think anyone did, but the Devils unwittingly let loose with the first stream. 

The funny thing is, if the Devils had made an official statement similar to the one in quotes, I think a lot of fans actually would've understood that reasoning for getting rid of R&R Part 2.  Not all would've agreed with it, and you'd get your share of "What, are the Devils trying to turn the games into church now?" and other crap, but at least the fans would've been given the all-important WHY, straight from the horse's mouth, and I think, at the very least, the fans would've respected the Devils' stance.   

I agree with this. It would have been so easy to say that due to pressure from sponsors, networks, etc, we've agreed to change the goal song. We'll work with fans to pick a new one. All they had to do was be slightly open. But the opening night ambush was sad. Watching 17,000 people trying to figure out what the hell was playing instead of the goal song we'd all grown used to was more uncomfortable than any 'you suck' chant.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Out of curiosity, was there ever a R&R Part 1?

The Islanders used to use it.  I think they were the only ones who ever did, while everyone else went with R&R Part 2.

from about :46 to 1:06...that's what the Islanders played.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is funny, but here's what really ticks me off about this whole thing, and then I'm done with it until I see what Step 2 brings:

Some little smug corporate nudge(s) probably made this decision after several meetings with a bunch of other little smug corporate nudges, all of whom likely have multiple pieces of paper hanging behind their desks, and all of whom think those pieces of paper make them brilliant in all respects, though it's been proven that there are several types of intelligence, and that there's no correlation to being a book-smart geek and having any clue as to what paying customers actually want.  

I'm not surprised people on here are agreeing with my posts.  There's nothing profound in any of them.  They're all based on simple common sense, and based from a fan view standpoint (which I'm almost positive none of the smug little corporate nudges bothered to get when they came up with their brilliant idea).

I don't have a degree or degrees in the fields that these zilches do, but to me (and many others) it's pretty obvious what should have been done here to avoid the sh!tstorm that has resulted:

1) Let the fans know via website exactly what your plans are, prior to the preseason.  (We're killing R&R Part 2, permanently, we're doing so for the following reasons, we're open to fan suggestions on possible replacements, but we will not bring back R&R Part 2 under any circumstances).  Word should get around to the point that not too many fans are going to be surprised when they don't hear R&R Part 2 at the home opener.

2) Test-drive some new songs during preseason.  If one of them gets an overwhelming positive response, it's the new goal song.  If none get anything great, but one is deemed tolerable, announce that this will be the temporary song until a better replacement is found, but that the search remains ongoing. 

But I can almost hear the drivel that these out-of-touch little dweebs said during one of their meetings (when they weren't meeting about when to have the next meeting):

"You know, this 'you...um...stink' thing is really getting out of hand.  I don't like it.  We need to do something about it."

"Maybe we should have the fans write in some suggestions, put up a poll, the one with the most votes wins."

"C'mon, we don't need to do that...waste of time and resources.  Hell, we don't even need to tell anyone what we're doing.  Think about...the fans are from New Jersey.  They love all things Jersey, even the toxic waste, every last one of 'em...just a bunch of sheep.  As long as it's something by that Bon Govi guy or that Brad Springfield..." 

"You mean Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen?"

"You knew what I meant, Devils from Jersey, those guys from Jersey, fans from Jersey...see where I'm going with this?  LIGHTBULB!"

"Yeah, but, I think that other song's kind of a staple...a tradition, if you will...I think the fans once got so ticked that that song was taken away, they actually fought to get it back."

"Meh, I'm telling you, Jersey team, Jersey fans, Jersey artists...wearing jerseys no less"  (sucks in gut as he looks at himself in mirror)  "DAMN YOU'RE GOOD!"

"Well, maybe we should let them know what we're doing, at least warn them that..."

"No no NO!  Bubb-ie!  We'll just surprise 'em with it!  Jersey people LOVE surprises, I'm telling ya!  They won't know what hit 'em!  They'll be blown away by how ahead of the curve we are!  I'm telling you, we've got this thing licked!"  (winks at self in mirror)  "Wait till you see how this goes over.  I can't wait to hear what they'll be saying about us!" 

If they were intent on changing the song, whether or not because of "you suck", they were really in a no win situation.  Announce it ahead of time, you'll get the same backlash, which is arguably worse in that management is consciously not listening to the fans.

In hindsight, the best course of action would have been to go with the new song during preseason and let the "you suck" people vent while no one is really watching.  By the time the season started, perhaps the outrage would have died down, and maybe they could have settled on something optimal when the regular season started. 

If they were intent on changing the song, whether or not because of "you suck", they were really in a no win situation.  Announce it ahead of time, you'll get the same backlash, which is arguably worse in that management is consciously not listening to the fans.

In hindsight, the best course of action would have been to go with the new song during preseason and let the "you suck" people vent while no one is really watching.  By the time the season started, perhaps the outrage would have died down, and maybe they could have settled on something optimal when the regular season started. 

I mentioned in previous posts that backlash was inevitable, but being upfront with the fans (and then involving them) would've been a hell of a lot better than blindsiding them at the home opener, when most of the fans in attendance had no idea they were in for a little surprise.  Playing R&R Part 2 during the preseason didn't exactly help their cause either. 

I mentioned in previous posts that backlash was inevitable, but being upfront with the fans (and then involving them) would've been a hell of a lot better than blindsiding them at the home opener, when most of the fans in attendance had no idea they were in for a little surprise.  Playing R&R Part 2 during the preseason didn't exactly help their cause either.

I agree if they knew they were going to change the song they shouldve done it for the first game of the pre season. . I think the fans were annoyed that they were expecting one thing and as soon as it came on they were blindsided

I agree if they knew they were going to change the song they shouldve done it for the first game of the pre season. . I think the fans were annoyed that they were expecting one thing and as soon as it came on they were blindsided

Yeah...we're so against R&R Part 2, we need to change it, but we'll continue to play it during the preseason like it's not an issue, and not let the fans have any involvement in the replacement, or even let them know that a replacement is even in the works?!  WTF?!? 

I'll believe the commitment of the new owners to financing and marketing this team when I actually see it.  All owners come in saying great things, no matter how rich they are.  They're like politicians promising the moon to their constituents.  Plus, it's no secret that they wanted the arena and basically had no choice but to buy the team with it.  For me, their actions will speak louder than words and, thus far, their actions have pissed off a large part of the fanbase (monitoring ticket resales, changing the goal song) which is not a great way to start things out. 

The lack of ticket deals thus far is more concerning from my point of view.  Not because I need them for myself.  But because we couldn't even sell out on opening night, a Friday no less, against the Islanders.  That's not a good sign for things to come, like a Wed. game vs. Columbus or Carolina.  I personally would rather have a full building (like most of last season) than worry about my ticket resale value as a STH.

Having a jaded or a "show me the money" attitude is not uncommon given how sports owners and politicians treat the public. We're all guilty of that to an extent. What's scary is how people are acting over a goal song and a grade school mentality chant. It's like Harris and Blitzer changed the uniforms. Or the Cup banners. Fired Lou. Slashed payroll to line their pockets back from the team sale. Or made players do a fashion show with clothes designed by Sean Avery  :angry:

It's beyond foolish and immature and unfortunately it's coming from a certain age group and man-children who haven;t matured one bit since.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Having a jaded or a "show me the money" attitude is not uncommon given how sports owners and politicians treat the public. We're all guilty of that to an extent. What's scary is how people are acting over a goal song and a grade school mentality chant. It's like Harris and Blitzer changed the uniforms. Or the Cup banners. Fired Lou. Slashed payroll to line their pockets back from the team sale. Or made players do a fashion show with clothes designed by Sean Avery  :angry:

It's beyond foolish and immature and unfortunately it's coming from a certain age group and man-children who haven;t matured one bit since.

its not about maturity it was just a fun chant that has been around forever... it was a tradition. They came in and just decided to get rid of a tradition which is why this entire thing is going on.

The chant hasn't been around forever.  I don't remember it happening before they took R&R Part 2 away the first time, but some people do - I've listened to some videos of 2006 goals and I don't really hear it.  It's been around for 5 years tops.  

Yeah! The nerve of them! Who the hell are they to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue the franchise from debt and (possible) league takeover. To provide the financial security the organization has never enjoyed before and are willing to provide that to win. To leave a HOF executive to do his thing and not interfere. To commit to the state of NJ and finally have the resources to keep the team here long term. To have a plan to market them the way they should have been for 30 years. THE shame on these new owners!!! Who do they think they are? 

I know I'm late getting to this but I agree 100%. As long as these owners pump $ into the on ice product and allow Lou to do his thing then I'll be happy.

The Rangers suck, flyers swallow fans better watch out. There will be roving Politically correct police in the stands with batons soon.

Funny you mention this because I could see a New Yankee Stadium situation playing out. NYS is heavily PC policed nowadays. I stopped sitting in the bleachers because I actually enjoy sitting somewhere where I can see the whole field, but from last I checked, the bleacher creatures can't even chant "box seats suck" anymore at the end of roll call. I've heard horror stories of people getting reprimanded or tossed out for heckling the opposition or walking around during GBA. Not to mention the NYS staff has a horrible reputation, especially with the whole have's/have nots country club mentality of the new stadium - look no further than the Rivera bobblehead fiasco.

The chant hasn't been around forever.  I don't remember it happening before they took R&R Part 2 away the first time, but some people do - I've listened to some videos of 2006 goals and I don't really hear it.  It's been around for 5 years tops.  

I remember hearing it for the first time around 2003 (and being kind of surprised by it), for whatever that's worth, but it was a much smaller group of people doing it.  It took a while (several seasons), but eventually it was an audible majority taking part.

Happy medium...go old school and play "Whoomp There It Is" like they did for a few seasons in the 90's.

I remember that and it only happened for 1 season or less in the mid 90's.

Back then when it happened people were confused and a little upset, but the crowd got a little bit into in the brief time it was played.  Back then you didn't have the crowd boo the song and had a bunch of whiny fans complaining that the Devils took their song away.

I remember that and it only happened for 1 season or less in the mid 90's.

Back then when it happened people were confused and a little upset, but the crowd got a little bit into in the brief time it was played.  Back then you didn't have the crowd boo the song and had a bunch of whiny fans complaining that the Devils took their song away.

I remember that. And sometimes they alternated if there were multiple goals in a game every one would be either R&R2 or Whoomp