NSFW: Cam Janssen interview

Mayday

Lament PC Society all you want. When you shoot your mouth, you are representing your employer weather you are on clock or not. They'd likely rather not have you on record trashing competitors, even if was just in fun.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Devils RW Cam Janssen issues statement apologizing for comments in a internet radio interview earlier this week:

Back when I was doing internet radio we had no filters...though I'm not an athlete.

Even so though Patrick Burke took this way too far. Janssen shouldn't have had to apologize at all.

I didn't see the interview, but I'm sure this was another typical overreaction by our over-pussified, crybaby society. Yaaaaay.

+ 1

That's the thing with all of this. He was talking about beating the sh!t out of players on the ice, Burke and co along with some other sensitive people on twitter took it the wrong way and Cam had to apologize to get the media sh!tstorm off his back. If he actually was attacking an orientation with malice intent that would be different...

But nope, even the littlest thing is hate speech nowadays.

+ 1

That's the thing with all of this. He was talking about beating the sh!t out of players on the ice, Burke and co along with some other sensitive people on twitter took it the wrong way and Cam had to apologize to get the media sh!tstorm off his back. If he actually was attacking an orientation with malice intent that would be different...

But nope, even the littlest thing is hate speech nowadays.

That's it eh? Unbelievable. Judging by the reaction, I would've thought Cam said "I hate f*gs".

Yep it will be a slow and incredibly long process. Tons of hockey players and pro athletes and regular members of society talk this way and act this way.

Blown way out of proportion, like many of you are saying. Interviews like this make their way to like 100 people that download it. And once you start making it a big deal, that number of interest turns into like 30,000 people who want to know wtf Cam Janssen said..

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637851

Statement from Cam Janssen. Sickening he even had to make a statement. Awful, the PC society that we live in now. This comment was taken completely out of context. As someone that is actually for gay rights I could even tell that Cam was talking about players on the ice...not homosexuals.

Disgusting.

i agree with all of these. all i see and read with the articles making such a big deal is :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: this world is way to sensative nowadays, coming from someone who can be a bit sensative. but like everyone said, so many people talk like that, especially in sports. when they are revved up and in the moment of the game, so those sorts of things comes out of their mouths. they cant help it. also, i feel like whatever he said was taken out of context a bit and the radio hosts basically set him up for what he walked in to.

what happened to freedom of speech? it wasnt directly toward someone. people are also making a big deal about the regret you feel after banging a fat chick...it happens people! get over it.

and why aren't people saying anything about him feeling depressed if he's not at the gym or playing?! :noclue: dont know whats coming to this world

Edited by enjoythesilence

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637851

Statement from Cam Janssen. Sickening he even had to make a statement. Awful, the PC society that we live in now. This comment was taken completely out of context. As someone that is actually for gay rights I could even tell that Cam was talking about players on the ice...not homosexuals.

Disgusting.

I agree. I'm sick of having this PC BS shoved down my throat at every turn. Cam's interview was crass and classless, but who gives a flying F? If anyone was "truly" offended by his comments, they have some serious issues.

I agree. I'm sick of having this PC BS shoved down my throat at every turn. Cam's interview was crass and classless, but who gives a flying F? If anyone was "truly" offended by his comments, they have some serious issues.

I'm sure that Devils management was offended, for one. I do agree that someone is not very perceptive if they expect an NHL enforcer to express anything but the most knuckle-dragging of sentiments.

Although Im sure he wouldve had to apologize just to make amends to Lou, I dont get the backlash from the non-hockey world. Its like people look for reasons to get upset and strip down any comment to find some malice in it. Cam didnt upset anyone. People dont even know who he is. Yet, its OMG hes an a-hole!

whole thing is bogus. Kind of how I hate that many aspects of players' private lives are affected just because they are on a pro team. God forbid they go and do an interview on an unrated show and drop the F bomb. OMG the NHL P.C. Police are all over that because it...promotes hockey players as obnoxious gutter mouths. So what? You can't ever be just a normal person and do things like this while you're part of a team? Look when you're on the clock, OK I get that you're a professional and all that, you represent the league and the team, but NOT when you go home after the game, and not in the offseason doing casual interviews.

On the GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) website, Aaron McQuade, Director of News and Field Media at GLAAD, wrote, “Unlike some of the apologies we see, this one seems genuine and heartfelt, and it shows that Janssen understands the harm that statements like this can cause, especially to young LGBT athletes who aren’t sure of their place on their team or in their sport. We hope Janssen will make good on his attempt to rid his own vocabulary of anti-LGBT language, and that he will become a champion in the movement to make the world of sports inclusive of all people.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_rw_cam_janssen_issues_statement_apologizing_for_insensitive_comments_in_radio_interview/

On the GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) website, Aaron McQuade, Director of News and Field Media at GLAAD, wrote, “Unlike some of the apologies we see, this one seems genuine and heartfelt, and it shows that Janssen understands the harm that statements like this can cause, especially to young LGBT athletes who aren’t sure of their place on their team or in their sport. We hope Janssen will make good on his attempt to rid his own vocabulary of anti-LGBT language, and that he will become a champion in the movement to make the world of sports inclusive of all people.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_rw_cam_janssen_issues_statement_apologizing_for_insensitive_comments_in_radio_interview/

This entire thing is a mess. People need to grow up. End of.