9 replies to this topic

#1 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,174 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

It seems like more and more people keep creating threads with links to their own blogs. This is spam to me. I have no interest in reading blogs, something that anyone can create. Having a blog doesn't make you a legit writer.

I've avoided posting in any of those threads but I was curious to see what others think.

#2 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

I agree that there does need to be some type of filtration process through DM or the admins. I forsee an issue with folks advertising their own product lines in Marketplace as well.
I don't begrudge anybody practicing their journalism chops, but the door probably could use a bouncer for those w/no interest in this site beyond serving their own needs.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#3 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

I agree and actually delete quite a few of the blog spammers. I am lax on posters who do contribute here but it does seem like everyone is getting a blog lately.

#4 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

I agree that there does need to be some type of filtration process through DM or the admins. I forsee an issue with folks advertising their own product lines in Marketplace as well.
I don't begrudge anybody practicing their journalism chops, but the door probably could use a bouncer for those w/no interest in this site beyond serving their own needs.

I think this sort of touches on something else as well. How about an advertising fee or donation to the site for members in the marketplace section who post here to advertise services as a business? (auto/player appearances, store inventory, personal products or lines).

Reason i suggest this is, after seeing that 2/3evil post in the marketplace section pimping his personal product line, i'm certain he joined just to advertise his apparel, not to be part of the njdevs community.

Edited by SJP20, 01 March 2010 - 06:45 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#5 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

I guess it comes down to self promotion that is rubbing people the wrong way. Commercially the auto signings/jersey sales are an area that I don't really follow so I don't know if they are established people or not. I agree if you come here and make money off the site, you should at the very least donate or something.

The blogs are something that can be followed in the news area, as most of the major bloggers have submitted RSS feeds to me so I can have them auto update in there.

unknown poster I did get your PM regarding this but I am so busy in 40 different directions I haven't had a chance to really think it through.

#6 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

DM, thanks, no problem. No rush at all, get back at me when you can.

I agree that if the advertising comes from a business, there should be a donation thrown the site's way as a token of good faith and thanks.

Perhaps if those wishing to promote their blogs, they can put a link to this site in their blog as a small gesture?

Edited by SJP20, 01 March 2010 - 06:38 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#7 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

Nobody's naming names with regards to the blogs, but I'm pretty sure I know who and what everyone's talking about, and the reason that blog isn't already in the Blogs section is because the way it's set up now, we can't pull a RSS feed to automatically post items from there.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#8 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for double checking rowdy. I just checked before and that system they use is convoluted to say the least.

#9 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,693 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

How about letting said bloggers post their own stuff in the blog section?? Since we know who those people are anyway (I know mine go there automatically so it's all good for me)

(though I will say a hockey article in hell gets 150 times the look then one in the RSS/newsfeed ever will)

maybe we can move the RSS feed to a sub-folder in hell to lessen the temptation since it's right there?
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#10 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

How about letting said bloggers post their own stuff in the blog section?? Since we know who those people are anyway (I know mine go there automatically so it's all good for me)

(though I will say a hockey article in hell gets 150 times the look then one in the RSS/newsfeed ever will)

maybe we can move the RSS feed to a sub-folder in hell to lessen the temptation since it's right there?

Good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users