Jagr Won't Ask For Trade At Deadline

TheMazz

That is semantical nonsense.  We're "caliber" this and "caliber" that.  Blah blah blah blah. We are what our record says we are.  NOT a playoff team.

If you keep losing 1 goal games, you are not worthy of being a playoff team.  

We've also played a ton of road games and a touch schedule. We're far from a lock, but we're in a cluster of 4 or 5 teams that could make it or not, and we're more likely to finish strong than most of them.

This one is a very though one if we look at it "business wize".

Fair to say we wont win the cup this year. So Whats better? Gambling:

A) keeping him and hope were not giving up a high pick ( trading jagr would probably sink us honestly, sad to say but hes that important) i also think the time hes spending around our young players is beneficial for the team.

B) trying to get at least a pick/prospect for him since we already dont have a first round pick and that we dont have much to trade

Knowing lou its safe to say we'll keep him

Makes sense, if he were to change his mind if the Devils fall apart.  I think the Devils are what they are though...an NHL .500 team.  Since getting to 9-8-5, they haven't been over NHL .500 since.  And clearly not being able to score in shootouts is hurting them...if they had gone 3-3 in shootout instead of 0-6, they'd be 18-15-5, which is a bit easier on the eyes.  I don't see them tanking, but I don't see the Devils going on an extended hot streak either...not unless Schneider gets hot for a while.  Marty isn't consistent enough at this point in his career to ask that of him. 

If Jagr keeps producing, I wonder what kind of trade value he'd have to a team that really thinks Jagr could get them over the hump?  A 2nd-rounder?  Maybe a 3rd-rounder and a low-rounder? 

At any rate, it remains scary to think where the Devils would be without him.  They've needed every bit of his production. 

Bad 1 with conditions, or a 2

No we most certainly are not a playoff team.

Only way I'd move Jagr is if 

1. He wants a shot at another Cup and we are out of it (as we will be).

2. The return is substantial, ie a conditional 1st or a 2nd and decent prospect or young player at forward (moving him for a couple 3rd rd picks or marginal prospects is not worth it)

there is no question we are a playoff team. lower seed, but most definitely are.

Fair to say we wont win the cup this year. 

I don't know that. I don't think we have any business expecting a cup, but once you get in the playoffs, weird sh!t can happen. You certainly don't trade away a shot at the playoffs, and the randomness that can happen there.

were a fringe playoff team, with a snowballs chance in hell to beat a top western team. it would be the second miracle on ice

still, making the playoffs is more important than a low second round pick, and whos giving up a scorer for a scorer?

lets just enjoy the jags for as long as we can

If things go in the toilet, the Devs may be asking him to accept a trade (if he has a NTC). The question would indeed be, what could they get back for him?

But, we are still in the hunt and he is a huge part of that. I'd rather give him the season, pass or fail, and see what happens.

I'd have no hesitation over giving him another year at what they supposedly paid him this year.

LOL.  Please just stop.  We are NOT a playoff team.  

We haven't played like one either so far this year except for a seven or eight game stretch.  Only way we sneak in at the 8th spot is if the craptastic division we play in continues to flounder and it becomes a race to the bottom.

We are not an awful team, but we are nowhere near to being anything more than a mediocre team.

If the 16 best teams in the league went to the playoffs, then, no, quite possibly not, but that's not how things are.  However, the Devils have gotten no shootout luck at all and continue to play good defense even without an offense.  As it stands I think NJ is clearly better than both Washington and the Flyers.

That is semantical nonsense.  We're "caliber" this and "caliber" that.  Blah blah blah blah. We are what our record says we are.  NOT a playoff team.

If you keep losing 1 goal games, you are not worthy of being a playoff team.  

Totally disagree. To just say flat out that we're not a playoff team because of our record is to throw out a lot of variables. For one, we're straddling 3rd place on a daily basis. And that's not even taking into account our level of play, which has been pretty high for a few months now, save 3 or 4 games (Detroit home, Chicago away, Philadelphia home).

Like ThreeCups is saying, outside of those 3 or so games, I can't think of one game that we were really shut down or completely out of as we ended the third period. So many tight ones over the past few months, so many games we dominated and probably deserved the win (like our Montreal games, best example), but hit posts or crossbars. Sure, you can argue that inability to push to the next level and win some of those makes us a "bad team", but I think that's bullsh!t, and oversimplifying.

One little run, like the Flyers are on right now, will be enough to land us in the playoffs. I don't see one team in the pack of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th place that's played as consistently "well" game-in and game-out as the Devils. When the dust settles, I think the Flyers will even out. And as far as the Rangers are concerned, they have a lot to worry about; it's like the flip of a coin whether they win 2-1SO or lose 5-1 each night. I think the Blue Jackets will be the ones to worry about, they have the depth in my opinion to keep up a decent record down the stretch and fight for a playoff spot. Devils are only a few small moments away, tight lucky (currently unlucky) instances from getting some ROWs and not losing in SOs...

Edited by DJ Eco

were a fringe playoff team, with a snowballs chance in hell to beat a top western team. it would be the second miracle on ice

still, making the playoffs is more important than a low second round pick, and whos giving up a scorer for a scorer?

lets just enjoy the jags for as long as we can

Sounds like what everyone was saying about the LA Kings two seasons ago when they sneaked into the playoffs during the last week of the season, while the East (and Atlantic Division, specifically) was considered the way more superior Conference.

Edited by DJ Eco

I didn't think the Devils could make the playoffs after the Kovalchuk announcement. But, after seeing Lamoriello's response and the players added, I changed my mind and thought maybe a 7 or 8 seed. 

And if you get in, you never know what can happen. See DJ Eco's post above. 

Sounds like what everyone was saying about the LA Kings two seasons ago when they sneaked into the playoffs during the last week of the season, while the East (and Atlantic Division, specifically) was considered the way more superior Conference.

The Kings were also a talented, underachieving team in the regular season. People keep referring to them like they were a quick exit 8th seed, but they were a top 4 team in disguise.

This Devils team, should they make the playoffs, is not the 2012 Kings unless Lamoriello goes out and acquires some skill and a little more speed up front.

Not agreeing here, the kings were a 100 pt teams years before that playing in the tougher/stronger western Conf. they had talent but underachieved . its not like the metro now, you don't sneak into the western playoffs. the devils have to play near playoff hockey now to win consistently , love their effort and I think they can get in, but the thought of them beating a top western team late in the playoffs, in a 7 games series is close to a fairytale.

The Kings were also a talented, underachieving team in the regular season. People keep referring to them like they were a quick exit 8th seed, but they were a top 4 team in disguise.

That's debatable. People were down on the Kings for most of the season, right up until March; their own fans, bloggers and writers included. The addition of Mike Richards and eventually Jeff Carter was not something that everyone in the league was thinking was a success right away. They were straddling the .500 mark for most of the season until March of that year when they suddenly heated up. Throughout January or February, they could barely score goals, and that's fact.

It's easy in hindsight to call them a powerhouse team, because we know now that they'd go on to sweep two rounds and win the other two rounds handily, but they were not on anyone's radar before round 1.

Edited by DJ Eco

That's debatable. People were down on the Kings for most of the season, right up until March; their own fans, bloggers and writers included. The addition of Mike Richards and eventually Jeff Carter was not something that everyone in the league was thinking was a success right away. They were straddling the .500 mark for most of the season until March of that year when they suddenly heated up. Throughout January or February, they could barely score goals, and that's fact.

It's easy in hindsight to call them a powerhouse team, because we know now that they'd go on to sweep two rounds and win the other two rounds handily, but they were not on anyone's radar before round 1.

This is not true - stat people were yelling about the Kings once they clinched the playoffs, saying they were an excellent team getting some bad shooting luck, and that they were among the best teams in the West, if not the best.  It is funny that with hindsight that some people can say the Kings were a great team.

This Devils team, should they make the playoffs, is not the 2012 Kings unless Lamoriello goes out and acquires some skill and a little more speed up front.

See Carter addition for the Kings. Hence LL should be a buyer, not a seller.

This is not true - stat people were yelling about the Kings once they clinched the playoffs, saying they were an excellent team getting some bad shooting luck, and that they were among the best teams in the West, if not the best.  It is funny that with hindsight that some people can say the Kings were a great team.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with, seems like we're saying similar things? Kings weren't this chemistry-filled magical powerhouse team getting consistent wins until the trade deadline, March/April, etc. right up to heading into the playoffs.

Edit: Yeah, I just reread my last comment that you replied to, it was a bit conflicting; I didn't mean to say they weren't on anyone's radar until round 1, but they weren't on the radar until March.

We're agreeing then, because the right trade at the right time was what the Kings needed to do to galvanize their roster for a playoff run. I'm not saying Carter's the absolute highest end talent, but it was a smart trade that worked for them at the right time. I don't think we're too far off as a team from needing one or two more offensive pieces to be a good team. I've liked the way our team is playing for a while now, and we've had a ton of close games decided by a shootout or a crossbar or three.

Edited by DJ Eco

Not agreeing here, the kings were a 100 pt teams years before that playing in the tougher/stronger western Conf. they had talent but underachieved . its not like the metro now, you don't sneak into the western playoffs. 

On a long enough timeline, so too were the Devils, point totals during regular season are really irrelevant (as we saw firsthand getting 100+ points every year and getting knocked out first round). And let's not kid ourselves, the "Metro" anomaly is new territory for us this year. Atlantic Division was one of the toughest Divisions in the league for at least a few years. THIS season is the exception, not the rule. You're giving the Kings way too much credit, they were not some mega powerhouse until their run from March until June in 2012. It's easy to say now in hindsight that "we're not the 2012 Kings"... But in reality, the comparison is more than relevant.

Edited by DJ Eco