Scott Hartnell resigns with Flyers

Colin226

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-hartnell-6-deal-flyers-shrewd-pre-cba-213111553--nhl.html

Story broke several hours ago, but we all hate this guy so let's discuss...

My initial thought was: "The Flyers resigning a goon? Never!"

I posted my thoughts on HF:

Ah, the man everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team.. Yeah he's a dick on the ice but you can tell he's a good guy.. He was very fair to the Devils after our series, giving us credit and giving Marty respect

I'm undecided on this.. He did a fantastic job getting space on the PP so that the good Flyers passing (namely Giroux) could thread him the puck.. But he really can't skate and I really didn't think much of him (skill wise) before last season.. I'd say if he keeps up his play then this is a good deal, but if he can't keep his mojo then ouch that's a lotta cap imo

Edited by Colin226

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-hartnell-6-deal-flyers-shrewd-pre-cba-213111553--nhl.html

Story broke several hours ago, but we all hate this guy so let's discuss...

My initial thought was: "The Flyers resigning a goon? Never!"

I posted my thoughts on HF:

Ah, the man everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team.. Yeah he's a dick on the ice but you can tell he's a good guy.. He was very fair to the Devils after our series, giving us credit and giving Marty respect

I'm undecided on this.. He did a fantastic job getting space on the PP so that the good Flyers passing (namely Giroux) could thread him the puck.. But he really can't skate and I really didn't think much of him (skill wise) before last season.. I'd say if he keeps up his play then this is a good deal, but if he can't keep his mojo then ouch that's a lotta cap imo

IMO it's a good signing by them. He brings a little bit of everything to the table and just fits with that organization.

Not a smart contract, players like Hartnell typically don't age well and he gets on the wrong side of 30 awfully soon. As a principle, I wouldn't sign players coming off career years who aren't even a free agent for another year.

Exactly. It'd be like Lou signing Clarkson to a 4/17 deal tomorrow. Hartnells value will never be higher and I'm glad he cashed in right now

Good signing for them. Like everyone said, player who you hate to play but the type of guy you always love when he's on your team. He's not a scumbag like Avery, he'll back his yapper up so for that, I respect him. Also, seems like a nice guy off the ice.

Not that any of that matters. 6 more years of failure and frustration for him in the face of a much better Devils franchise, so I look forward to seeing his pissed-off mug for years to come.

Also, "Cut your mullet, Hartnell!" is one of my favorite things to scream throughout Devils-Flyers games... So I'm glad I can keep it up!

Edited by DJ Eco