Team ---- GR --- MAXPTS - (Difference)

Sabres -- 16 --- 104 ---- (4 Losses)

Canes --- 15 --- 102 ---- (3 Losses)

Rangers - 13 --- 100 ---- (2 Losses)

Leafs --- 15 ---- 98 ---- (1 Losses)

Thrash -- 15 ---- 97 ---- (.5 Losses)

Devils -- 16 ---- 96

Isles --- 14 ---- 90 ---- (3 Wins)

Got a lot of help, lost a game in the process, but cant complain. Maybe the Devs losing caused teams to get complacent.

For tomorrow: Lets go Bruins and Flyers (blah ... not getting hopes up on the Flyers)

Though this second half has been a blast overall to watch, and Kovy's ascendance has been a joy to behold, I look at the standings and, though I never really bought in that much to the whole playoff chase (I just wanted to see how strong of a turnaround the Devils could pull off in the second half...20-3-2 is insane), I simply can't give the Devils any real chance to get in anymore, no matter how much I like to dream. They now find themselves down by 8 points to TWO teams...and with all of these damned three-point games, they just can't seem to gain ground...seems like they've been stuck around 9 points back or thereabouts for several days now. I give them all the credit in the world for trying and not mailing it in, and I'm sure they'll continue to give it their best.

I hope Kovalchuk just has it in his mind to play solid hockey just for practice. I dont want the guys to be too disappointed -- I had no idea this would be as Bad News Bears as it's become! It's great. But you know -- the bears still lose in the end :P that's what makes the movie great.

Though this second half has been a blast overall to watch, and Kovy's ascendance has been a joy to behold, I look at the standings and, though I never really bought in that much to the whole playoff chase (I just wanted to see how strong of a turnaround the Devils could pull off in the second half...20-3-2 is insane), I simply can't give the Devils any real chance to get in anymore, no matter how much I like to dream. They now find themselves down by 8 points to TWO teams...and with all of these damned three-point games, they just can't seem to gain ground...seems like they've been stuck around 9 points back or thereabouts for several days now. I give them all the credit in the world for trying and not mailing it in, and I'm sure they'll continue to give it their best.

Well I certainly donot see things the same way...

I look at the teams we need to catch. Buffalo this team will move up to 7 at least.

That leaves the Canes and Rags... I know Toronto is there as well, but if Philly can do what they are supposed to tonight and beat them, then we will stay 4 points behind them with now 2 games in hand. (I understand that games in hand can not be taken for granted, but they at least give you hope that you can gain points! We also have 1 more win than the Leafs already)

Now back to the Canes and Rags, We are 8 behind the Canes with a game in hand and 10 behind the rags with 3 that is 3 games in hand. Start with them. If we beat Atlanta on Friday night (HUGE HUGE game) and the Rags lose to San Jose (very possible) on Saturday night at San Jose, then we will be 8 back with still 3 games in hand and 1 game against them! That is a huge oppurtunity to gain several points there.

Carolina we are 8 points back, and they have 15 games left. If they go 8 - 7 which is possible looking over their last 10 they are a .500 team... Then that would give them 88 points... We would need 24 points in our last 16 games to catch them... 12 - 4. (And I think honestly they can do this and maybe even 1 better..) Agreed it isnt going to be easy and 3 point games are killers here but 12 - 4 is possible, I am not ready to give up on this miracle run yet!

It continues with a win Friday night, but first Boston and Philly need to show up in their respective games tonight!!

P.S. Just a quick add on here for those that think I am being too optimistic thinking Carolina will go only 8 - 7...

They have 2 games at Washington, they play tampa 3 times, Detroit, Buffalo 2 times Toronto, and The Isles (who are playing tough, they could easily lose 8 of these 10 games) Not saying they will but I dont think 8 - 7 is unreasonable to expect from them...

Edited by PaDevsFan

The top teams tanking and low level teams pullings wins out of their butts just sucks. The Devils can only count on themselves. and with THAT mindset it's just too much pressure. This team doesn't deserve to feel bummed out. I hate to say it -- but they're still just learning how to play here. They are far from back on their feet. Everyone can play hockey in fits and starts. These guys have to learn to sustain. I'm not sure push push pushing for a playoff berth is beneficial. It's a fun goal. I dont want the team to lose that feeling. if they're looking at the "race" then they can't be focus ing on hockey in the right way. I think that's mostly what I'm saying.

it can be done --- but not if that's what you're shooting for. It's too short-sighted a goal for this team right now. It's kind of a more of the same place -- it will FEEL like a first round loss and the team is beyond that - better that and deserving of feeling better than that.

Let's just try and enjoy it, whatever the outcome. If they don't make it, it's OK - this roster deserves a standing ovation on fan appreciation day.

Totally agree and have said that since the beginning. This "improbable run" has been some of the most fun considering the 10 - 29 start. I mean who would have imagined at Christmas that we would even be looking at what has to happen for us to make it to the dance. Now at least we have had fun during this and if it ends with some additional magic all the better, but the ride has been totally enjoyable!

Edited by PaDevsFan