307 replies to this topic

#161 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Honestly, I fully expect him to be back and I think the fact that he hasn't adderssed the American media has dragged this out. I can see him trying to be respectful to his homeland and his fans by not clearing saying I'm ditching you but it also sends a poor message to fans back here in NJ that were looking for him to be our Captain.

This all being said I think the real timer starts upon ratification of the agreement and the listed start to training camp and games. I couldn't believe when Barry Melrose T-ed off on ESPN radio last night as I think the whole hockey community here in North American would be furious if he didn't stay. I also was happy he picked the Rags to finish first in the east and as favorites for the Stanely cup as I prefer not being the favorite.

#162 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

You guys are totally over-reacting, in my opinion. In all likelihood, Kovalchuk isn't trying to make a statement about money or the Olympics, he isn't pissed about the terms of the new CBA, and he is not mad about his NHL salary being smaller because of the lockout....he just wants to play some more hockey.

Chances are that he simply wants to do all he can for his KHL team (he's the captain, after all) and put on a show for the fans at the All-Star Game before he leaves. The CBA isn't ratified, so why bother coming back to the US until he needs to? Kovy is a hero in Russia and it's because he cares about his country, his teammates, and his fans. He's not the type of guy to bail on a team, which is why he hasn't bailed on SKA yet, and which is also why he will be back in New Jersey after the KHL All-Star Game to play for the Devils.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#163 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Would you say the same about Stevens even after he refused to report to the Devils training camp after he was awarded to the Devils?

Stevens like all players built his good will over time by winning cups and beign the heart and soul of the team for almost a decade. Just as niedermayer destryed some good will by leaving but built it back up over time, wounds can heal when handled properly.

Kovy hasn't directly addressed the issue for whatever his reason, so that is why its dragging on and why there are angry fans. Kovy doesn't show or comes into camp late and you will see more anger and if he shows late and then struggles to start you will see even more. On the other hand Kovy comes back right around the start of camp and we start out hot and all will be forgotten.

#164 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Would you say the same about Stevens even after he refused to report to the Devils training camp after he was awarded to the Devils?

This is a pretty good point, too. Then he signed with another team, while he was captain.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#165 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

You guys are totally over-reacting, in my opinion. In all likelihood, Kovalchuk isn't trying to make a statement about money or the Olympics, he isn't pissed about the terms of the new CBA, and he is not mad about his NHL salary being smaller because of the lockout....he just wants to play some more hockey.

Chances are that he simply wants to do all he can for his KHL team (he's the captain, after all) and put on a show for the fans at the All-Star Game before he leaves. The CBA isn't ratified, so why bother coming back to the US until he needs to? Kovy is a hero in Russia and it's because he cares about his country, his teammates, and his fans. He's not the type of guy to bail on a team, which is why he hasn't bailed on SKA yet, and which is also why he will be back in New Jersey after the KHL All-Star Game to play for the Devils.

I think you are right on with this but like all controversies, when you don't address them directly they fester. Kovy is back here and playing well in a week and none of us remember this until he struggles or gets hurt.

#166 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

This is a pretty good point, too. Then he signed with another team, while he was captain.

Lets be honest though, what a bizzare ruling for the NHL in our favor. Who ever heard or rewarding a player as compensation, it sounds like indentured servitude

#167 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Lets be honest though, what a bizzare ruling for the NHL in our favor. Who ever heard or rewarding a player as compensation, it sounds like indentured servitude

It happened all the time back then. That was the system, which was eventually collectively bargained away to the current FA system by the NHL and NHLPA. The question really was whether we were going to get Stevens or a package of Rod Brindamore, Curtis Joseph, etc. Lou pled his case and won, basically establishing his reputation and legacy in that one hearing. Stevens had no choice but to report to the Devils or quit playing the game of hockey. For Kovy, the situation is different. He has a very viable alternative in the KHL, which I wouldn't trust to uphold any of its agreements regardless of the circumstance.
Posted Image

#168 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

That's how Group 1 free agency worked back then...when Team A lost a player to Group 1 free agency to Team B, Team A was entitled to compensation. Team A and Team B would each submit a compensation package, then an arbitrator would pick one package or the other, as each team presented its case.

A lot of people thought Lou wouldn't win when he initially asked for Stevens (St. Louis was offering Rod Brind'Amour, Curtis Joseph, and some other parts) for the Blues' signing of Brendan Shanahan, but he was very smart, because he knew the NHL didn't like the fact that the maverick Blues were driving up salaries with their big-money signings; nevertheless, Lou also knew that he would have to present a flawless case to give the NHL an excuse to award the Devils Scott Stevens. Rich Chere wrote a great article on how thorough Lou was, and how he dotted every last i and crossed every single t...because St. Louis thought the NHL would never award Stevens to the Devils, they didn't work nearly as hard in presenting THEIR case. It was a stunner to everyone involved when the Devils were awarded Stevens.

BTW, the Devils were awarded Randy McKay (and Dave Barr) in a Group 1 signing, when Troy Crowder signed with Detroit. The Devils actually "lost" that one...Lou asked for Bob Probert.

And re: Stevens, the Devils winning that case nearly ripped the team apart initially. Stevens was furious with the ruling and didn't want to report, and several Devils threatened to walk out on the team (Ken Daneyko and John MacLean among them) if their salaries weren't increased, in light of what Stevens would be making. It's amazing (almost miraculous) Lou navigated those treacherous waters as smoothly as he did.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#169 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

http://www.inlouwetr..._medium=twitter

this is an interesting article about Kovy plus some good stats about how the Devils really relies on him

www.SterioDesign.com

#170 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Honestly, I fully expect him to be back and I think the fact that he hasn't adderssed the American media has dragged this out.

You indirectly bring up a good point. As long as he's in Russia, the only media that is engaging him is the Russian media. He doesn't have ESPN or NBC or MSG microphones in his face, which is why his answers are more geared toward the Russian fans and media. Unless the TSN crew flies to Russia on Sunday and asks him explicitly "Are you leaving the Devils for good?", he really doesn't have any reason to address that specific answer to any Russian media. It's a question that isn't being asked, which is why we don't have an explicit answer. In other words, Russian media are asking questions that Russian people want to hear answers for.

#171 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Kovy will be back....this is just bad PR

#172 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

That's how Group 1 free agency worked back then...when Team A lost a player to Group 1 free agency to Team B, Team A was entitled to compensation. Team A and Team B would each submit a compensation package, then an arbitrator would pick one package or the other, as each team presented its case.

A lot of people thought Lou wouldn't win when he initially asked for Stevens (St. Louis was offering Rod Brind'Amour, Curtis Joseph, and some other parts) for the Blues' signing of Brendan Shanahan, but he was very smart, because he knew the NHL didn't like the fact that the maverick Blues were driving up salaries with their big-money signings; nevertheless, Lou also knew that he would have to present a flawless case to give the NHL an excuse to award the Devils Scott Stevens. Rich Chere wrote a great article on how thorough Lou was, and how he dotted every last i and crossed every single t...because St. Louis thought the NHL would never award Stevens to the Devils, they didn't work nearly as hard in presenting THEIR case. It was a stunner to everyone involved when the Devils were awarded Stevens.

BTW, the Devils were awarded Randy McKay (and Dave Barr) in a Group 1 signing, when Troy Crowder signed with Detroit. The Devils actually "lost" that one...Lou asked for Bob Probert.

And re: Stevens, the Devils winning that case nearly ripped the team apart initially. Stevens was furious with the ruling and didn't want to report, and several Devils threatened to walk out on the team (Ken Daneyko and John MacLean among them) if their salaries weren't increased, in light of what Stevens would be making. It's amazing (almost miraculous)Lou navigated those treacherous waters as smoothly as he did.

All of this really shows why older fans appreciate Lou so much. He really did some amazing things for this team. He didn't hit the ball every single at bat, but he sure knocked it out of the park often enough.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#173 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I just heard on XMRadio from Potvin that he thinks the Devils will sign him.
It's the whiskey talking.

#174 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

All of this really shows why older fans appreciate Lou so much. He really did some amazing things for this team. He didn't hit the ball every single at bat, but he sure knocked it out of the park often enough.

To me, it was Lou's deft and sure handling of that near-mutiny that transitioned the Devils from minor league nonentity to a team that truly deserved respect, even moreso than the '88 playoff run, and a team that deserved to have superstar players as much as any other team. People who weren't fans of the team back then don't realize how much of a joke the Devils were close to becoming. The early-to-mid 80s Devils teams weren't very good, but they were trying and they knew it was going to take time, and then it sadly seemed like that oh-so-slow rise to competive respectability was about to blow up completely. Once the Stevens ruling came down, arrogant GMs basically started calling Lou almost immediately, with a "c'mon boy, you know he doesn't want play for you, so why don't you hand him over to a real hockey team like us, and we'll give you some stuff in return" attitude.

To Lou's credit, he basically told all of those GMs to stuff it, that Stevens was going to be a New Jersey Devil come hell or high water, and that was that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#175 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

http://www.inlouwetr..._medium=twitter

this is an interesting article about Kovy plus some good stats about how the Devils really relies on him

This was a terrific article and really puts both the Kovy in Russia thing as well as Kovy's importance to us in perspective.

#176 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

The balls on this Russian.
Posted Image

#177 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

To me, it was Lou's deft and sure handling of that near-mutiny that transitioned the Devils from minor league nonentity to a team that truly deserved respect, even moreso than the '88 playoff run, and a team that deserved to have superstar players as much as any other team. People who weren't fans of the team back then don't realize how much of a joke the Devils were close to becoming. The early-to-mid 80s Devils teams weren't very good, but they were trying and they knew it was going to take time, and then it sadly seemed like that oh-so-slow rise to competive respectability was about to blow up completely. Once the Stevens ruling came down, arrogant GMs basically started calling Lou almost immediately, with a "c'mon boy, you know he doesn't want play for you, so why don't you hand him over to a real hockey team like us, and we'll give you some stuff in return" attitude.

To Lou's credit, he basically told all of those GMs to stuff it, that Stevens was going to be New Jersey Devil come hell or high water, and that was that.

It really is amazing what he pulled off, especially as someone new to professional sports at the time. This is the reason I'm not quite worried about this Kovy thing yet. If anyone can bring him back, it'd be Lou. And if he doesn't come back, I'm sure Lou already has some sort of idea of where to go from there.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#178 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

It really is amazing what he pulled off, especially as someone new to professional sports at the time. This is the reason I'm not quite worried about this Kovy thing yet. If anyone can bring him back, it'd be Lou. And if he doesn't come back, I'm sure Lou already has some sort of idea of where to go from there.

The reason the Devils have any credibility today really goes back to Lou...I can't think of too many GMs who would've emerged from that mess unscathed, with their franchises not only intact, but improved...that situation was really was that bad.

re: Kovy...I was a little worried initially, now just annoyed...I've grown to like Kovy, but between this situation and the whole signing mess, he can just be really annoying, whether it's his fault or not, and sometimes without really trying. But I think more and more that that's all this will be...just another annoyance, in a too-long offseason full of annoyances, courtesy of the lockout.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 09 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#179 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think with Kovy his relationship with the Russian media just becomes annoying. Thank God I don't have Kovy's grandmother telling me wether he will or wil not return to the NHL

#180 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Datsyuk apparently also playing in the KHL allstar game.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users