POD: by Lou Lamoriello

msweet

Im not sure if it's possible in the new NHL, but would it be possible that maybe we.. don't have the money?

If we didn't before, we certainly won't any time soon. With Madden and Gio gone, and the disaster of what happened last season, and Marty already getting the wins record, the attendance is going to tank. We NEED that big name player, even if we have to somewhat overpay, just to fill the seats. The Islanders will be a more exciting product on the ice if they bring that draft pick up. Marty alone isn't going to fill the seats anymore, especially with 6-7 AHLers in front of him.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind bringing Pelly up. He's gotta be an upgrade on Holik. I think a tumbleweed would be an upgrade on Holik.

I think Lou would have been better off saying we need to make room for some youth. By singling out Pelly he's suggesting the Rod is going to replace Gionta, Madden, Rupp and Holik. We cut millions from our payroll and replaced it with a guy who is going to make $600,000. It's unfair to Pelly to make him, a, uh, lightning Rod for our ire today.

Edited by Don

^ i agree, i just think that they are waiting out the days and see who's price falls. I just think im blind because i want to stay postive in the long-term. Teams are built in one year, the past 2 years have been marty trying to get the wins record, and our "coach" complaing about his sh!tty red deer team and the farm. And of course his wife's cancer, but i just dont want to waste to much time. Will we get another 40 goal season from parise?

Im not sure if it's possible in the new NHL, but would it be possible that maybe we.. don't have the money?

It's very possible...because there is such a thing called a cap though it's hard to believe sometimes with the actions of certain teams. Our payroll will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $48-50 million this year assuming no big additions, and most of our players aren't coming off the books next year. Plus Martin is a UFA and Clarkson a RFA I think, with both of them likely to be kept and requiring a raise.

With the cap supposedly going down I can definitely understand being budget conscious.

Edited by Hasan4978

If we didn't before, we certainly won't any time soon. With Madden and Gio gone, and the disaster of what happened last season, and Marty already getting the wins record, the attendance is going to tank. We NEED that big name player, even if we have to somewhat overpay, just to fill the seats. The Islanders will be a more exciting product on the ice if they bring that draft pick up. Marty alone isn't going to fill the seats anymore, especially with 6-7 AHLers in front of him.

you sure about that? I mean, unless the bandwagon jumper contingent is out in force like it is on here.

...most of our players aren't coming off the books next year. Plus Martin is a UFA and Clarkson a RFA I think, with both of them likely to be kept and requiring a raise.

With the cap supposedly going down I can definitely understand being budget conscious.

And Clarkson wouldn't mind playing in Toronto. ...

Edited by 95Crash

It's hard to tell, but according to warren buffet things are going to get better soon. This may be a year were everything hits the floor. Now im dealing with stupid rag fans becuase i said why sign brashear, when you get a younger, colton orr for less money. Plus i laid the whole " overpayed for gaborik" line. I'm not sure if im jealious, becuase i have never seen him play enough haha

And Clarkson wouldn't mind playing in Toronto. ...

Burke is probally on the phone talking to lou, in front of TSN cameras saying, " Hey, uh lou yeah we're trying to get clarkson up here"

If anyone saw that during the draft, you'll know what i mean hahahaha

OMG We are doomed for this upcoming season!!!!!11! The Devils are going to be back with their entire first line intact plus their second line with the exception of Brian Rolston in place of Gionta. This team is screwed!!!!

Some people need to take a step back and look with some perspective. We'll be fine folks. There will be some changes to the bottom 6 but this team will probably be as good as last years team. Plus now they have some flexibility for next year when the cap goes down.

"It will be status quo to see where our budget is," Lamoriello revealed.

I fully blame CRASHER for not re-upping his season tickets early. If he did, then the Devils would know where their budget is and they'd be able to afford to pay Gaborik to watch half the season from a seat next to TG.

it's better than lou's 'people won't show up regardless, so there's no point in wasting money on a big name' mentality

If Lou were the kind of GM whose primary objective was to please fans, he'd be doing a lot of things differently. He'd be making big, overpaying signings. He'd have made a lot of different moves over the years. And I guarantee we wouldn't have three Cup banners in Pru Center if Lou had been a crowd-pleaser.

If Lou were the kind of GM whose primary objective was to please fans, he'd be doing a lot of things differently. He'd be making big, overpaying signings. He'd have made a lot of different moves over the years. And I guarantee we wouldn't have three Cup banners in Pru Center if Lou had been a crowd-pleaser.

He has made plenty of overpaying signings. I think the addition of one bigtime playmaker could be a huge difference for this team, and drawing some fans is a nice side effect.

This team has hardly changed since we last won the cup, except for subtractions. Things are getting stale and both the team and the fans need a fresh injection of excitement.

Edited by metallidevils

He has made plenty of overpaying signings. I think the addition of one bigtime playmaker could be a huge difference for this team, and drawing some fans is a nice side effect.

Who is the big-time playmaker that we could have signed today to a contract that wouldn't have kept us from being able to afford Martin next year or Parise the year after that?

Who is the big-time playmaker that we could have signed today to a contract that wouldn't have kept us from being able to afford Martin next year or Parise the year after that?

Stop with your logic and long term thinking. It's July 1 time for irrational short term ideas.

I dont care abotu who Devs lost - or what big name not signed by Jerz... it's Lou's stupid attitude. Pelley and LeBlond? BULLsh!t! Trade bait!! I dont' like Lou AT ALL when he mealey mouths and outright LIES.

Tell the truth. We're shedding dead weight and any free agent signing available is probably going to result in more long term dead weight.

His talk now is annoying -- like a high maintenance date who refuses to order anything at the restaurant, pick out a movie they want to see...make ANY decision at all but smiles vacntly saying ohhh... I can't decide. Oooh but I'll make a choice soon!

NO YOU WONT! SAY IT! SAY: THIS SUCKS! I HATE EVERYTHING OUT THERE!!! I DON:T EVEN WANT TO BE OUT HERE I WANT TO BE HOME CRYING INTO MY CATS FUR HOPING ONE DAY MY PRINCE WILL COME!!!!

that we could've fit under the cap? admittedly probably no one...and whose fault is that....

Edited by metallidevils

that we could've fit under the cap? admittedly probably no one...and whose fault is that....

OK, imagine that there is no salary cap. Who was the big-time playmaker that we missed out on today?

It's a crap free agent market this year.

Can we save and pin all these posts and threads so people can read them when the Devils are in first place next season and are making the playoffs.

Why draft players if you all want big money free agents? If Carpenter never left Madden wouldve NEVER gotten a chance like he did. Im not saying we will be great but lets give some of prospects and young players a chance. I guess most of you never watched a lowell game. SOme of those players are pretty good. they need a chance.