A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Reminds me of Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. :cheers:

I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden, baby
Come with me Friday, don't say maybe
I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby, like you
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#42 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

I guess I'll give this a try.

Review
Pearl Jam 5/18 Prudential Center

Since I've never been there for a concert, I'll start with the venue:
This is not what I had planned to be seeing at the PruCenter in mid-May, but it was a rocking good time nonetheless. As far as atmosphere, the place was empty during the opening act, but packed for PJ, save some of the 200-level sections. The crowd was mostly male, mostly high-energy. When Eddie Vedder joked about how the weather in Newark was making him and his Seattle-based bandmates feel right at home, he drew a good laugh, so some people were still sharp and listening closely. There were some people smoking pot, but I guess that's as surprising as saying that Even Flow was part of Pearl Jam's set-list. The arena sets up nicely for a concert. I was in the last row of 108, so the band's faces were fuzzy from that distance, but the sound is very good. They have spotlights that illuminate the stairways without putting light in the patrons' faces, that's a great feature.

Opening act, Band of Horses:
They were surprisingly good (though I am a bit of a sucker for good harmonized vocals, and that seemed to be the real strength of this band). The lead singer brought his daughter onstage for her second birthday (with earmuffs on of course), and Vedder came out to join them on their last song. A good job, despite many unoccupied seats.

Main Act:
Pearl Jam really stormed the stage, playing their harder rockers during the first set. They played the uptempo version of "Even Flow," and the crowd went crazy. After a five minute break, they came back out to play some slower songs, like "Daughter", gradually picking up the pace again. This, to me, indicated lots of thought went into preparation of the set-list for the show. After one more break, they started the final set with rendition of "Jersey Girl" (the crowd yelled "Bruuuuce" :whistling: at the end, but Vedder corrected them). It was tribute to us, the fans, who came out for a concert that almost didn't happen, according to Vedder. What a nice touch. They played more crowd-pleasing hits, like "Alive," and wrapped up the show with a cover of "All Along the Watchtower," once again showing off the band's versatility.

Overall it was a great night, and the perfect way for me to kick off 3.5 months of concerts. :thumbsup:
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#43 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

I guess I'll give this a try.

Review
Pearl Jam 5/18 Prudential Center

Since I've never been there for a concert, I'll start with the venue:
This is not what I had planned to be seeing at the PruCenter in mid-May, but it was a rocking good time nonetheless. As far as atmosphere, the place was empty during the opening act, but packed for PJ, save some of the 200-level sections. The crowd was mostly male, mostly high-energy. When Eddie Vedder joked about how the weather in Newark was making him and his Seattle-based bandmates feel right at home, he drew a good laugh, so some people were still sharp and listening closely. There were some people smoking pot, but I guess that's as surprising as saying that Even Flow was part of Pearl Jam's set-list. The arena sets up nicely for a concert. I was in the last row of 108, so the band's faces were fuzzy from that distance, but the sound is very good. They have spotlights that illuminate the stairways without putting light in the patrons' faces, that's a great feature.

Opening act, Band of Horses:
They were surprisingly good (though I am a bit of a sucker for good harmonized vocals, and that seemed to be the real strength of this band). The lead singer brought his daughter onstage for her second birthday (with earmuffs on of course), and Vedder came out to join them on their last song. A good job, despite many unoccupied seats.

Main Act:
Pearl Jam really stormed the stage, playing their harder rockers during the first set. They played the uptempo version of "Even Flow," and the crowd went crazy. After a five minute break, they came back out to play some slower songs, like "Daughter", gradually picking up the pace again. This, to me, indicated lots of thought went into preparation of the set-list for the show. After one more break, they started the final set with rendition of "Jersey Girl" (the crowd yelled "Bruuuuce" Posted Image at the end, but Vedder corrected them). It was tribute to us, the fans, who came out for a concert that almost didn't happen, according to Vedder. What a nice touch. They played more crowd-pleasing hits, like "Alive," and wrapped up the show with a cover of "All Along the Watchtower," once again showing off the band's versatility.

Overall it was a great night, and the perfect way for me to kick off 3.5 months of concerts. Posted Image

Seeing as how I happen to like Pearl Jam but was not able to go to their show at The Rock (I'm not a diehard fan or anything like that), I was curious to read some online fan reviews of what they thought of the concert, The Rock, New Jersey, etc.

Judging by the following thread I came across on one of the Pearl Jam fan sites, it seems that it is not only New York and Philly hockey fans that like to dump on Jersey and its fans -- N.Y. and Philly music fans are just as good at it:

http://forums.pearlj...hp?f=5&t=132631

#44 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

Seeing as how I happen to like Pearl Jam but was not able to go to their show at The Rock (I'm not a diehard fan or anything like that), I was curious to read some online fan reviews of what they thought of the concert, The Rock, New Jersey, etc.

Judging by the following thread I came across on one of the Pearl Jam fan sites, it seems that it is not only New York and Philly hockey fans that like to dump on Jersey and its fans -- N.Y. and Philly music fans are just as good at it:

Ya know, it's weird. When I went to see Metallica at the Rock last year, I actually had people sitting behind me yelling at me because I was standing and blocking their view. It was a METALLICA show. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what it is, but maybe the Rock really does draw lame crowds. It definitely isn't a Jersey thing, though. Some of the craziest crowds I've ever been a part of were during shows at Starland. Hell, the biggest, wildest mosh pit I've ever seen was during a friggin blues song at the end of a Clutch set there.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#45 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

That's interesting, that so many people came to that conclusion. Many of the concerts that I've been to before have been older bands than PJ, so perhaps I'm a bit more used to seeing people sitting and enjoying, but if you think about it, a lot of the people who got into Pearl Jam when they and grunge were in their heyday, they're in their 30s now, some of them closer to 40. So I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting, for the crowd to be jumping up and down the whole time? Even so, some fans might consider that to be a bad crowd, so this is a charge that probably gets made often, and as you said, common Jersey-hate probably just emboldened people to rag on this one.

In any event, the music is paramount to me. An idiosyncratic crowd might be able to add to a great experience, but I don't go to show expecting to receive that (I didn't pay the fans to do anything for me). Just as long as people don't disturb me, like sitting right behind me and trying to have a conversation over the performance (what are you even doing there?!), then I'm fine with other people listening in whatever fashion pleases them.

Maybe the high ticket prices had something to do with it? This show was close to $100 a pop at the box office (fortunately I stole my tickets off StubHub). People were standing in front of me the whole time. I sat down for part of the show, but I didn't say anything to them. You can still hear the music, whereas if people are standing in front of you at a Devils game, the whole purpose is defeated).

Edited by Devils Dose, 20 May 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#46 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Got tickets to Modest Mouse in Williamsburg 7/23! Can't wait!

Don't think I'll end up making it to 6/24 Silversun Pickups much as I want to...

#47 steveo28584

steveo28584

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Ya know, it's weird. When I went to see Metallica at the Rock last year, I actually had people sitting behind me yelling at me because I was standing and blocking their view. It was a METALLICA show. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what it is, but maybe the Rock really does draw lame crowds. It definitely isn't a Jersey thing, though. Some of the craziest crowds I've ever been a part of were during shows at Starland. Hell, the biggest, wildest mosh pit I've ever seen was during a friggin blues song at the end of a Clutch set there.

I had the same issue last summer at AC/DC at Giants Stadium and then again seeing Nickelback at PNC (I was on the lawn and people still complained). I couldn't believe people expected to be able to sit through either of those concerts. It's quite annoying.

Gotta agree Starland gets nuts. Seen many mosh pits. Sold out seether show is probably the best I can remember.

#48 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

I had the same issue last summer at AC/DC at Giants Stadium and then again seeing Nickelback at PNC (I was on the lawn and people still complained). I couldn't believe people expected to be able to sit through either of those concerts. It's quite annoying.

Gotta agree Starland gets nuts. Seen many mosh pits. Sold out seether show is probably the best I can remember.

I was at that AC/DC show at Giants Stadium too, but luckily had nothing but people standing and rocking out near me. That said, I hate stadium shows. You're too far away. I've seen them at MSG, the Spectrum, CAA and once against after it switched to IZOD. Every one of those shows killed their Giants Stadium show. They're always awesome though.

As for Starland, I'm never going back there. Each time I go, it's more packed than the last time. The last show I saw, I swear, it was so packed that there were 10 people (10!) standing on the tiny set of steps on the side of the floor leading to the side bar area. There wasn't even breathing room against the side walls. If there's a safe capacity for that place, they don't abide by it. Now I just hope the bands I like choose House of Blues in A.C. instead of Starland. That's a nice venue.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#49 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

I wonder if the concert crowds at the Rock might be a little quiet because people are not used to going to shows there yet.

Think about it -- people have been going to the Izod, PNC, Tweeter Center, MSG, Wachovia Center, etc. for years. They know exactly where they are going to park; they know where they are going to hang before the show; they know the ins and outs of those buildings; they feel comfortable at those places.

Aside from Devils fans and maybe some Seton Hall Pirates fans, most people still have never been to the Rock, or maybe they've been there once. They probably don't know where to park, so they end up paying jacked-up prices at the closest ripoff parking lot; they don't know where to hang or drink before the show, so they end up going inside earlier and more sober than expected; then they get into the building and realize they have no idea where everyone else at the show is from because they didn't hang with anyone else or talk to anyone else before the show. So they end up being a little more quiet than usual, and as a result the concert crowd doesn't have that homey, this-is-our-house feel to it.

I don't know, just a theory.

Edited by 95Crash, 21 May 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#50 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

I don't know if this has gotten mentioned yet, but I saw some crap-tastic band, Baroness, Between the Buried and Me (BTBAM), and Mastodon at Starland earlier this year... pretty good show.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#51 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

I was originally going to take a pass on seeing any concerts this summer due to money constraints, but I am tempted to go see Ringo at Westbury and, god help me, I'll probably wind up seeing Kiss at Jones Beach. I say God help me cause I saw them at the Garden and thought the show was subpar for what I am used to seeing from Kiss and I wasn't too crazy about Tommy Thayer's guitar work and the fact that he was doing Ace's bit with the rocket. It's bad enough that they have Gene's roadie painted up as the spaceman, do they have to have him perform his stunts as well?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 steveo28584

steveo28584

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

I was at that AC/DC show at Giants Stadium too, but luckily had nothing but people standing and rocking out near me. That said, I hate stadium shows. You're too far away. I've seen them at MSG, the Spectrum, CAA and once against after it switched to IZOD. Every one of those shows killed their Giants Stadium show. They're always awesome though.

As for Starland, I'm never going back there. Each time I go, it's more packed than the last time. The last show I saw, I swear, it was so packed that there were 10 people (10!) standing on the tiny set of steps on the side of the floor leading to the side bar area. There wasn't even breathing room against the side walls. If there's a safe capacity for that place, they don't abide by it. Now I just hope the bands I like choose House of Blues in A.C. instead of Starland. That's a nice venue.

The stadium show really disappointed me. That was my first time seeing them and it just seemed like there was no energy there. I agree it was mostly due to the stadium atmosphere. I'm not a big fan of stadium shows either but if it's the only choice you gotta go.

Starland is a fire trap waiting to happen with the way they cram people in there. Velvet Revolver on new years eve a few years back was so packed it was impossible to move 2 inches in either direction. Awesome show though. That place is great if it's just under capacity. Sold out shows are not good at all. Haven't been to the House of Blues yet, hoping to go see Cinderella down there soon though.

#53 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Starland is a fire trap waiting to happen with the way they cram people in there. Velvet Revolver on new years eve a few years back was so packed it was impossible to move 2 inches in either direction. Awesome show though. That place is great if it's just under capacity. Sold out shows are not good at all. Haven't been to the House of Blues yet, hoping to go see Cinderella down there soon though.

I'm with ya here, my favorite shows at Starland are the ones that don't sell out. I saw Eve 6 there a few years back and it didn't sell well apparently, as they had two of the three bar areas closed off. Even still, there was plenty of room to move around and hang out. The older I get, the more I cherish the spots in the back or to the sides of the stage, nearest to the bars. :cheers:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#54 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Some others I want to see:
U2
Ringo Starr
Weezer
Santana
Roger Waters
REO Speedwagon

U2's tour has been postponed for 1 year (Bono's surgery).
Apparently they're telling people who bought tickets (not me thankfully) to hold onto them for next year instead of seeking a refund.

Edited by Devils Dose, 26 May 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#55 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

I may be going to the free RXP thing at Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Saturday. A bunch of bands are playing there, they claim, though I don't know that they've listed any. Still, its free music from 12 PM until 12 AM it seems, so it sounds like a good deal.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#56 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

I may be going to the free RXP thing at Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Saturday. A bunch of bands are playing there, they claim, though I don't know that they've listed any. Still, its free music from 12 PM until 12 AM it seems, so it sounds like a good deal.

Free RXP thing? I haven't heard anything about this...I'm intrigued.

Edit: After doing some research:

Afternoon:
LAST PERFECT THING
THE SUNDAY BLUES
JON CASPI
COLIE BRICE AND THE NEW AGE BLUES EXPERIENCE
MIKE ROCKET

Evening:
Outside the Box at 8
Jesse Malin at 9:30
John Eddie at 11:15

Last Perfect Thing and Jesse Malin make it totally worth it. Don't know any of the others. Might have to see about heading down there for this...

Edited by thelastonealive, 26 May 2010 - 09:45 PM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#57 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

Saw the Bon Jovi concert last night at the New Giants stadium! He put on a awesome show ! 2 hours and 45 minute set. The Stadium is HUGE Wide concourses..... Made with HEAVY Duty Steal and concrete. Its anly about 80% finished........ lots of inside construction still needed to be done... and lots of the concessions were not open! small part of the old giants stadium is still up. and the strange part of that is they left gate A standing even though they tore down that part of the building first, so its just the escalator and spirals standing in the middle of nothing.

anyways great stadium and great show!
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#58 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

I'll see Green Day and 30 Seconds To Mars in June. I think that's about it for the summer. I'm too lazy to go anywhere.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#59 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Free RXP thing? I haven't heard anything about this...I'm intrigued.

Edit: After doing some research:

Afternoon:
LAST PERFECT THING
THE SUNDAY BLUES
JON CASPI
COLIE BRICE AND THE NEW AGE BLUES EXPERIENCE
MIKE ROCKET

Evening:
Outside the Box at 8
Jesse Malin at 9:30
John Eddie at 11:15

Last Perfect Thing and Jesse Malin make it totally worth it. Don't know any of the others. Might have to see about heading down there for this...

I saw Jesse Malin open up for Gaslight in October. The guy was a total dick and everyone cheered once he got off the stage, he was in some sort of land of disillusion the entire time.

#60 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just a note to anyone going to see Iron Maiden on the current Final Frontier World Tour, it looks like they are playing songs mostly from their last four albums. So unless you are a diehard Maiden fan, you might want to think twice before making the committment to this one. Here are the setlists from the first three shows so far:

Dallas (6-9):

01. The Wicker Man
02. The Ghost Of The Navigator
03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
04. El Dorado
05. Paschendale
06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07. These Colours Don't Run
08. Blood Brothers
09. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

Houston (6-11):

The Wicker Man
Ghost Of The Navigator
Wrathchild
El Dorado
Dance Of Death
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin
These Colours Don't Run
Blood Brothers
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
Brave New World
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Running Free

San Antonio (6-12):

The Wicker Man
Ghost Of The Navigator
Wrathchild
El Dorado
Paschendale
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin
These Colours Don't Run
Blood Brothers
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
Brave New World
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Running Free

These shows were nothing like the ones from the Somewhere Back in Time Tour of 2008, which contained many of the classics. Still though, even though I'm not familar with most of these newer tunes, it's still Maiden, so I'll be at the PNC show on July 11.

Edited by 95Crash, 13 June 2010 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users