101 replies to this topic

#21 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Dolphins meeting with Philbin a second time...and have scheduled re-interviews with Bowles and Mike McCoy

It also appears that Toub is out of the process, as Toub took a new deal with the Bears.

Zimmer I'm not sure about...he's not scheduled for a second interview yet, but sources claim his first interview was strong.

Zimmer's out of the running, apparently he was "too blunt and honest" at his interview, according to the Miami Herald (I guess that means he probably told Ross and Ireland how much they both suck). Its down to Philbin, McCoy, or Bowles. Out of those guys, I'd want Philbin. But whoever we choose will probably suck. I'm to the point with this franchise that I just expect every decision to be the wrong one.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'd rather have Bowles at this point. I see Philbin as a rehash of Cam Cameron. The flavor of the month offensive coordinators rarely become quality head coaches.

At least Bowles has shown he can win a few games as a head coach.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'd rather have Bowles at this point. I see Philbin as a rehash of Cam Cameron. The flavor of the month offensive coordinators rarely become quality head coaches.

At least Bowles has shown he can win a few games as a head coach.

I've thought about that... But Aaron Rodgers has praised Philbin up and down and credited him a great deal with his development. That's important, seeing as how we're gonna bring in a young QB. I think the Fins want Philbin so he can bring in Matt Flynn, along with Tom Clements as the offensive coordinator. Keep Bowles as the defensive coordinator. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what Ireland and Ross have in mind.

#24 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

I don't know if I see Flynn as that much of an upgrade over Moore. Yes, I know he had an awesome start. But that was 1 start and he was playing with GB's receivers. Put him on the Browns and I don't think he'd be quite as impressive. That being said, I think Philbin is the best out of the 3 supposed "finalists". Although I'm still not sold on any of them. What happened to Ross' dedication to bring in a "big name" coach?

We definitely need a new young QB, but call me crazy, I don't think we're getting one this year. I have a feeling this team is going to regress next season. We might still end up with Barkley or Jones.

I think whoever is the coach is gonna go the route of J-Mac. Come in over his head...and end up getting fired after not being able to do anything.

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Looks like it's Philbin. I predict he gets fired in mid 2013-14 season.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,813 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

As I was telling Brian this afternoon, I think that taking Flynn AND his OC might be a good combo....not like Miami doesn't have weapons to take advantage of as well, this could work out actually......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#27 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,813 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

Well it's official.....likely means Flynn is coming too...like I said...I'm in favor of this:

http://sports.yahoo....ns-philbinhired
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#28 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

This is actually a good hire I think. I truly thought they'd hire McCoy which I would've hated. But I can get on board with Philbin because of the Flynn factor, and the fact that Philbin can build a much stronger staff than McCoy could. His offenses have been in the top 10 in scoring for 5 straight years. Rodgers credited Philbin with a great deal of his development too, and that carries weight. Let's hope for the best.

#29 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think this is another reach. Another inexperienced HEAD COACH. I guess we wait and see.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think this is another reach. Another inexperienced HEAD COACH. I guess we wait and see.

Your coach was inexperienced too- a specials teams coach when Baltimore hired him. And he's coaching in the AFC Championship game tomorrow. So exactly- we wait and see.

#31 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Your coach was inexperienced too- a specials teams coach when Baltimore hired him. And he's coaching in the AFC Championship game tomorrow. So exactly- we wait and see.

Fair enough, but Harbaugh has a strong coaching pedigree and the league's best GM.

WIthout a strong front office with an actual scouting team, he may have the standard three and out kind of career in Miami.

You could have had Fisher, if you had a better GM.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#32 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Fair enough, but Harbaugh has a strong coaching pedigree and the league's best GM.

WIthout a strong front office with an actual scouting team, he may have the standard three and out kind of career in Miami.

You could have had Fisher, if you had a better GM.

Meh, Ireland is a douchebag, but he's not a terrible GM. He's not a bad evaluator of talent. I don't blame Ross for not giving Fisher final say, its never worked out for us in the past with coaches who also run personnel. Everyone in Green Bay- from players, to coaches, to fans- speak highly of Philbin. I'm excited to see what we do at QB and in free agency and the draft. I'm usually a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Fins, but I think this has the potential to be a very solid hire. We'll see.

Edited by MadDog2020, 21 January 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Meh, Ireland is a douchebag, but he's not a terrible GM. He's not a bad evaluator of talent. I don't blame Ross for not giving Fisher final say, its never worked out for us in the past with coaches who also run personnel. Everyone in Green Bay- from players, to coaches, to fans- speak highly of Philbin. I'm excited to see what we do at QB and in free agency and the draft. I'm usually a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Fins, but I think this has the potential to be a very solid hire. We'll see.

Philbin is very respected, but is a coach upstairs, not involved in the play calling at all. If you really wanted to hire someone, Oakland took him as GM.

Ireland???? He has sucked in terms of evaluator of talent, at least in the early rounds of the draft.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Philbin is very respected, but is a coach upstairs, not involved in the play calling at all. If you really wanted to hire someone, Oakland took him as GM.

Ireland???? He has sucked in terms of evaluator of talent, at least in the early rounds of the draft.

Right. Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, Vontae Davis, Jared Odrick, Charles Clay, Brandon Marshall Cameron Wake, Davone Bess, Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush... All guys Ireland brought in, or had a hand in bringing in. There are some pretty good players there. And 2011 was the first draft where he got to run the show and make the final decision sans Parcells (Parcells had the final say until he left before the 2010 season), and it was the best draft top-to-bottom since the Parcells regime arrived in 2008. I'm not saying Jeff Ireland is Ozzie Newsome or Ron Wolf- but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. And Philbin constructed the gameplans, ran the meetings, was in charge of the halftime adjustments, and Rodgers himself credited him with a large part of his development into an elite QB. I don't give a sh!t that he didn't call plays. Cam Cameron called plays.

#35 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Right. Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, Vontae Davis, Jared Odrick, Charles Clay, Brandon Marshall Cameron Wake, Davone Bess, Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush... All guys Ireland brought in, or had a hand in bringing in. There are some pretty good players there. And 2011 was the first draft where he got to run the show and make the final decision sans Parcells (Parcells had the final say until he left before the 2010 season), and it was the best draft top-to-bottom since the Parcells regime arrived in 2008. I'm not saying Jeff Ireland is Ozzie Newsome or Ron Wolf- but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. And Philbin constructed the gameplans, ran the meetings, was in charge of the halftime adjustments, and Rodgers himself credited him with a large part of his development into an elite QB. I don't give a sh!t that he didn't call plays. Cam Cameron called plays.

Which round did Ireland draft Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush??? Chad Henne?? Ted Ginn?? etc.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Which round did Ireland draft Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush??? Chad Henne?? Ted Ginn?? etc.

You're missing the point- the point is Ireland is not a bad GM. I'm not gonna get into a pissing match when I already know I'm right. Maybe your GM can find a new kicker this offseason.

#37 estreetcrew3

estreetcrew3

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Looks like Peyton is on the top of our list if he's healthy and available. Would be the best business decision ross could make paying him to come here.
Posted Image Section 209 at the Rock
Estreet crew Blog ------> http://estreetskate.blogspot.com/

#38 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

You're missing the point- the point is Ireland is not a bad GM. I'm not gonna get into a pissing match when I already know I'm right. Maybe your GM can find a new kicker this offseason.

No, you are missing the point. I said he was not a very good evaluator of talent in the early rounds of the NFL draft. Wasted high end potentially franchise players.

Our kicker has been hurt for the past month, otherwise he is an all-pro. He still should have made that kick,
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#39 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

No, you are missing the point. I said he was not a very good evaluator of talent in the early rounds of the NFL draft. Wasted high end potentially franchise players.

Our kicker has been hurt for the past month, otherwise he is an all-pro. He still should have made that kick,

Considering last year was the first draft where he got to run the show himself- with the final say on who to pick- I'll wait before I say he can't draft. Parcells gets the blame from most of Fins Nation for the drafts of 2008-2010. And re: yesterday: Harbaugh should've called timeout. I'd be killing him for that if I was a Ravens fan. Why keep that timeout in your pocket? Horrible decision. But Cundiff should've been ready too, so that's on him.

Edited by MadDog2020, 23 January 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#40 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Considering last year was the first draft where he got to run the show himself- with the final say on who to pick- I'll wait before I say he can't draft. Parcells gets the blame from most of Fins Nation for the drafts of 2008-2010. And re: yesterday: Harbaugh should've called timeout. I'd be killing him for that if I was a Ravens fan. Why keep that timeout in your pocket? Horrible decision. But Cundiff should've been ready too, so that's on him.

I thought Ireland was the GM and Parcells allowed him to make the selections and evalutate? I could be wrong.

I am not going to question Harbaugh, he can't make Evans catch the ball or Flacco to make the right decision and run for the first. He will work on these next year. But Harbaugh just keeps winning and has nothing to be ashamed about for yesterday.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users