Would you trade Adam Larsson...

Beetlebum

Well that's a bit of a false equivalency - if you get Subban for 8 years, you're going to have to do it very expensively to buy out those UFA years now. There's no reason why you can't have Larsson for 10 more years under that logic. And Lou's last long-term contracts to guys off ELCs either included a UFA year (zajac) or stopped before the guy was UFA (parise).

Expensively to a point, I can't go more than 50% above the low, it would keep the average down. If I started him at a $4M year (just an example), he can't have more than a $6M year in there.

Of course this may be the problem in signing him to a long-term deal.

I really don't get all the love for Ada, especially with his limited wwork in the league. Will the kid be great is a tough question. Anyone that knows anything about that position, knows it is a tough one that often don't find guys "getting it" until their mid to late 20's. If you look at Victor Hedman, you can see that is a decent defensemen and he is only 2, so it's hard to say how good he is even gonna be. The problem is once these guys start to bloom, it comes down to where they in their contracts, we know where loyalty ranks among today's players. A problem I see with Adam is that he isn't a strong natural skater. Time will tell in his overall development, but if they can move him for top 6 goal scorer I would have no problem doing so. In the hypothetical of a PK swap, any GM makes that move, hell you could move hime again for a nice return.

I can't believe people are sounding like they've already given up on Larsson.

He's freakin 19 years old. You wonder why he might look physically weaker than other guys out there? It's because he's still a damn kid, he's got so much freakin room to develop and grow.

I'm all for talking the hypotheticals, but come on. Larsson is going to be a fantastic top-4 or top-2 defenseman in this league.

60446819969557549_IQhfiwDG_c.jpg

whats worrying me and I KNOW Lidstrom wasnt like that either. But i just can't see Larsson being super aggressive, quick, relentless and hustling hard, battling and skating/backchecking like a madman like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Subban, Letang, Parise or wtv player who's always battling and you see their "fire". Larsson seems so calm, relax and slow. I know it's a good thing to be poised and relax at such a young age but i simply can't picture Larsson catching up to a guy on the breakaway with a crazy backcheck or something like doughty could do. Maybe he can but i never saw anything that suggests that he has the speed for it. Just seems to me he'd try and endup gliding by the end trying to reach for the guy lol

i hope im wrong but thats the thing i don't like in Adam, he seems numb with no emotions all the time. Maybe it's just the haircut?

whats worrying me and I KNOW Lidstrom wasnt like that either. But i just can't see Larsson being super aggressive, quick, relentless and hustling hard, battling and skating/backchecking like a madman like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Subban, Letang, Parise or wtv player who's always battling and you see their "fire". Larsson seems so calm, relax and slow. I know it's a good thing to be poised and relax at such a young age but i simply can't picture Larsson catching up to a guy on the breakaway with a crazy backcheck or something like doughty could do. Maybe he can but i never saw anything that suggests that he has the speed for it. Just seems to me he'd try and endup gliding by the end trying to reach for the guy lol

i hope im wrong but thats the thing i don't like in Adam, he seems numb with no emotions all the time. Maybe it's just the haircut?

It seems just about every post you make nowadays is negative speculation. You think he's slow and you give a worst-case speculative example. I mean, really?

It seems just about every post you make nowadays is negative speculation. You think he's slow and you give a worst-case speculative example. I mean, really?

i know right? geez i dont know whats up with me lately? haha i'm such a joyful person usually. i'm gonna have to work on that.

But at least i'm honest and trying to be realistic, bunch of guys here are clearly wearing Devils blinders and would deny anything negative even if it was right in there faces and are pumping tires for a few of our players.

Sorry, but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat now. Larrson has got to be a concern to the org right now. yeah maybe Im being negative but I can only go by what I see on the ice. and he looks a bit slow and soft. he's not going to become fast on skates at 20 years old

Suban may be a dick, but he's an elite skating defenseman, who MAY grow up

it has nothing to do with his colour, the fans LOVES him and all the media are all about him pumping his tires, most habs fans are wearing blinders or are just ignorant and deny all the bad stuff that i mentioned.

This is no joke. At the Devils-Habs game at the Rock 2 years ago, there was a group of MOntreal fans sitting in front of us. They actually call the guy "black Jesus." I still laugh my a$$ off thinking about that one.

No way I trade Larsson for any package involving this guy.

Everyone comparing Larsson to Nieds is lost. You have one of the best skaters of all time at least in my era versus a hesitant 20 year old with no natural skating ability to speak of.

I'm with you here. Larsson will NEVER be a Nieds caliber player. sh!t, we may never see another D-MAN like him again! My knock on Larsson is that he is extremely soft. I want to see him line people up and put them through the glass. I believe he will be a good defenseman for the team for quite some time, but I do not think he will ever be worth his high draft pick.....

I'm with you here. Larsson will NEVER be a Nieds caliber player. sh!t, we may never see another D-MAN like him again! My knock on Larsson is that he is extremely soft. I want to see him line people up and put them through the glass. I believe he will be a good defenseman for the team for quite some time, but I do not think he will ever be worth his high draft pick.....

again i feel negative but i feel the same way... im sure there will be plenty of dman with equal value as Larsson picked in later round or lower in a first round... a top 4 pick should have went for a really good and gifted offensive player like couturier IMO.

but i guess he was ranked there for a reason too, we'll see. Pietrangelo was good but not crazy good like now when he was 20

Edited by SterioDesign

again i feel negative but i feel the same way... im sure there will be plenty of dman with equal value as Larsson picked in later round or lower in a first round... a top 4 pick should have went for a really good and gifted offensive player like couturier IMO.

but i guess he was ranked there for a reason too, we'll see. Pietrangelo was good but not crazy good like now when he was 20

I agree. I would have rather seen an offensive talent be selected by Lou & Co. But it isn't like we reached for Larsson at that spot...he was a concensus top 5 pick by everyone and their mother....

I have never seen anyone who passes as well as Larsson out of the d zone. He's not perfect yet, but you can really see the ability. His skating will improve but I say this every time - Chara and Pronger were never great skaters either.

Also Couturier with his 3 shots on goal in 3 games is blowing everyone away with his offensive prowess.

PK Subban at the same time frame as Larsson was just wrapping up his final OHL season and was still 2 years away from playing more than 2 NHL games.

I think people forget how young Larsson is and how unusual it is for defenseman to make an impact at a young age.

This is also true, which is why I would not trade him. I think we have to wait another 3 years MINIMUM before we really have an idea of what he is capable of....

I have never seen anyone who passes as well as Larsson out of the d zone. He's not perfect yet, but you can really see the ability. His skating will improve but I say this every time - Chara and Pronger were never great skaters either.

Also Couturier with his 3 shots on goal in 3 games is blowing everyone away with his offensive prowess.

Is the statement referring to Devils players or any dman you have ever seen?

And to answer the OP, hell no. The guy could walk onto any d corps and not look out of place at all

To expand on this, what more do you want him to do? He made the team as an 18 year old. Led our defense in points and ES TOI and wasnt even protected. Scored a HUGE goal in the playoffs. Had a very productive AHL stint, while playing against top (AHL) competition. Does he have flaws? Yeah, but nothing he cant work out with some practice, time and experience.

Name me the last 18/19 year old to do that?

Edited by SMantzas

PK Subban at the same time frame as Larsson was just wrapping up his final OHL season and was still 2 years away from playing more than 2 NHL games.

I think people forget how young Larsson is and how unusual it is for defenseman to make an impact at a young age.

Exactly. I remember watching Nieds play in his rookie year thinking he got pushed off the puck too easily and he wasn't tough enough to clear the crease. He was always a great and fast skater, but he made some stupid plays that young players make back then. He learned, developed and grew into one the best d-men in his era, if not NHL history. Give Larsson some time. It's not like he's 25.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Oh so in THAT case you're putting the focus on what he's doing now and not what he will become like you're doing with Larsson, great way to make things look good i guess yeah. What did Larsson did at NHL level so far this year? Couturier is killing penalties and playing on the 2nd line in a stacked team, Adam is on the 4th pairing in NJ not playing. i mean come on, Couturier was matched to Malkin and shut him down during the playoff in his rookie season while putting up points. He's Adam's age too, i know offensive players have their peaks way sooner than Dman but cmon. Stop putting your arguments in a way that makes it looks good for us ignoring other details.

Oh so in THAT case you're putting the focus on what he's doing now and not what he will become like you're doing with Larsson, great way to make things look good i guess yeah. What did Larsson did at NHL level so far this year? Couturier is killing penalties and playing on the 2nd line in a stacked team, Adam is on the 4th pairing in NJ not playing. i mean come on, Couturier was matched to Malkin and shut him down during the playoff in his rookie season while putting up points. He's Adam's age too, i know offensive players have their peaks way sooner than Dman but cmon. Stop putting your arguments in a way that makes it looks good for us ignoring other details.

Couturier is going to be an elite defensive player but it's an open question if he will be a dominant offensive player too. I think his peak may look a lot like Travis Zajac.

And Larsson still led last year's team in even strength ice time per game. He's going to get in once someone gets hurt or falters or is traded, and I imagine once he does, he will be getting tons of ice time.

Oh so in THAT case you're putting the focus on what he's doing now and not what he will become like you're doing with Larsson, great way to make things look good i guess yeah.

So with Larsson we have to focus on him not playing in 2 NHL games this season but for Couturier we need to focus on what he may do in the future? I think it was more a sarcastic post pointing out you were doing what you then complained about, comparing with differing benchmarks.

Couturier is going to be an elite defensive player but it's an open question if he will be a dominant offensive player too. I think his peak may look a lot like Travis Zajac.

And Larsson still led last year's team in even strength ice time per game. He's going to get in once someone gets hurt or falters or is traded, and I imagine once he does, he will be getting tons of ice time.

i see Couturier offensive ceiling higher than Zajac for sure, buddy was ranked first overall until he got sick or injured wtv.

i mean seriously i fvcking hope Larsson is the real deal but other than his good passing i've never been impressed with his stick handling, speed, aggressiveness or shot. Some rookie dmen gets in the league and have all of that right away in their first few year. And just like Larsson they can only get better.

i think he's soft and not too fast and you can do what you want... if youre not aggresive or really fast at 19.. you won't get THAT MUCH thougher and faster no matter how hard you try, it's simply not in you. So i hope his vision will overcome all those things.