Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

To me, it was Lou's deft and sure handling of that near-mutiny that transitioned the Devils from minor league nonentity to a team that truly deserved respect, even moreso than the '88 playoff run, and a team that deserved to have superstar players as much as any other team. People who weren't fans of the team back then don't realize how much of a joke the Devils were close to becoming. The early-to-mid 80s Devils teams weren't very good, but they were trying and they knew it was going to take time, and then it sadly seemed like that oh-so-slow rise to competive respectability was about to blow up completely. Once the Stevens ruling came down, arrogant GMs basically started calling Lou almost immediately, with a "c'mon boy, you know he doesn't want play for you, so why don't you hand him over to a real hockey team like us, and we'll give you some stuff in return" attitude.

To Lou's credit, he basically told all of those GMs to stuff it, that Stevens was going to be New Jersey Devil come hell or high water, and that was that.

It really is amazing what he pulled off, especially as someone new to professional sports at the time. This is the reason I'm not quite worried about this Kovy thing yet. If anyone can bring him back, it'd be Lou. And if he doesn't come back, I'm sure Lou already has some sort of idea of where to go from there.

It really is amazing what he pulled off, especially as someone new to professional sports at the time. This is the reason I'm not quite worried about this Kovy thing yet. If anyone can bring him back, it'd be Lou. And if he doesn't come back, I'm sure Lou already has some sort of idea of where to go from there.

The reason the Devils have any credibility today really goes back to Lou...I can't think of too many GMs who would've emerged from that mess unscathed, with their franchises not only intact, but improved...that situation was really was that bad.

re: Kovy...I was a little worried initially, now just annoyed...I've grown to like Kovy, but between this situation and the whole signing mess, he can just be really annoying, whether it's his fault or not, and sometimes without really trying. But I think more and more that that's all this will be...just another annoyance, in a too-long offseason full of annoyances, courtesy of the lockout.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm sure he just wants to say thanks to his home country and league that would pay him when the NHL wouldn't. If he legally can, why wouldn't he. Maybe he's just trying to do right by the fans.

He's not walking away from his house and contract. 1 game away from the Stanley Cup...no way.

Do I have something wrong with the timing? The All Star Game is at 5 PM Moscow Standard Time on Sunday, which is 8 am here. I guess they're saying that he has 48 hours to report after the CBA is ratified, which won't happen until Saturday afternoon, meaning he'd have to report by Monday afternoon?

Do I have something wrong with the timing? The All Star Game is at 5 PM Moscow Standard Time on Sunday, which is 8 am here. I guess they're saying that he has 48 hours to report after the CBA is ratified, which won't happen until Saturday afternoon, meaning he'd have to report by Monday afternoon?

I think you have it right. It just doesn't play into the panic that everyone is trying to have. Now, back to the panicking...

This has nothing to do with the Olympics. If it was about the Olympics, they'd stay home en masse. That hissy fit is coming next year, I'm guessing if the NHL doesn't go, they'll just walk-out midseason like soccer players called up for national team. It's looking more except for a couple of old guys, (and in Visnovsky's case, the Isles might be okay with it, cheap as they are) the only person potentially waffling is Kovy.

This has everthing to do with what Kovy feels is the right thing to do, which is playing for his homeland. If he is making a stand now for an all star game, what do you think he is going to do for the Olympics?

This Olympic issue is a ticking time bomb.

It's not the timing, it's the person. I feel he's a merc so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that if someone throws even MORE money at him, he walks away from an agreement.

Why the fvck Kovy and his agent dont say the thing the same way datsyuk agent is...

Because Jay Grossman is probably two steps away from killing himself, I don't know what his rate is or how he was paid out, but if he's paid out year to year at 5%, and he walks out and the Devils get rid of the contract, that's around oh, $4M down the drain for him.

It's not the timing, it's the person. I feel he's a merc so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that if someone throws even MORE money at him, he walks away from an agreement.

Again, it doesn't make sense - he earned only $6M in each of the last two years. If it was just money, Russia probably had that beat originally.

Again, it doesn't make sense - he earned only $6M in each of the last two years. If it was just money, Russia probably had that beat originally.

It's still guaranteed money, what, $90M out to ten years in the first one, and $85M out to ten years in the second one? The Russian money probably comes a few years at a time, and if you get hurt...

Also, during that process, he kind of had to be in the States. Obviously when he spends time in Russia he gets worked over pretty hard. Same thing happened in 2010, he went home and suddenly he gets all Hamlet and is saying that he may stay, even if the second deal is upheld.

It also took him 17-18 days to decide between two suitors giving vastly different sums of money. Wasn't like he took the Devils money immediately. That's a long time to wait for something more.

It is what it is, we'll see, I'm not convinced he's coming back. I think he wants all of his NHL money so that may lead to him sitting, but at the same time, that kook Medvedev (man, isn't that a conflict of interest where the guy in charge of the league poaches guys to his own team) is in his ear. I'm to the point with it, if he comes, good for him, if he doesn't, fvck it.

It also took him 17-18 days to decide between two suitors giving vastly different sums of money. Wasn't like he took the Devils money immediately. That's a long time to wait for something more.

I would need more than 17-18 days to decide between two offers on the path of the next 15 years of my life and my family's life, man haha..

We're overreacting, everyone is. He's coming back and he's doing what's best for his family, his national pride, and only at the expense of maybe a VERY easy first couple hours of camp that won't influence his play or stamina all that much... His teammates are big boys, and professional, they understand. And he'd be coming within the "letter of the law", so to speak, within the 2 day window players are supposed to report.

Edited by DJ Eco

I would need more than 17-18 days to decide between two offers on the path of the next 15 years of my life, man haha..

We're overreacting, everyone is. He's coming back and he's doing what's best for his family, his national pride, and only at the expense of maybe a VERY easy first couple hours of camp that won't influence his play or stamina all that much... His teammates are big boys, and professional, they understand.

About 98% of NHL players do not. This wasn't about 'deciding' it was about trying to get the Kings to up their offer, or someone else to make one. Comparing the market for Kovy two years ago to the market for Parise and Suter this summer, or other big FA's is night and day.

Anyway it looks like Kovy'll be off the hook as far as playing in the ASG at least, since the PA won't ratify the CBA until Saturday (Sunday morning in Russia). He'd better be on the first plane back right after the game though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's amazing how quickly he can destroyed all the good will he created last year with the fans. It seems to me that this is all about money, and he's pissed that he will only get a prorated portion of his salary for this season because of the lockout. If he wants to send a message, he's dealing with the wrong GM for that as I highly doubt Lou will stand for his BS.

I love watching him play, and not having him will kill this team, but if he wants to stay there, let him...as long as he is banned from all future international competitions (including the Olympics) and the Devils have all penalties regarding his signing revoked when they void his contract. I don't want any player who doesn't want to be a NJ Devil on this team.

I can not agree more!

About 98% of NHL players do not. This wasn't about 'deciding' it was about trying to get the Kings to up their offer, or someone else to make one. Comparing the market for Kovy two years ago to the market for Parise and Suter this summer, or other big FA's is night and day.

Anyway it looks like Kovy'll be off the hook as far as playing in the ASG at least, since the PA won't ratify the CBA until Saturday (Sunday morning in Russia). He'd better be on the first plane back right after the game though.

98% of players sign lifetime contracts? Could've fooled me.

If he's not on the first plane back, I'll start feeling more concerned about the situation and I'd have a sour taste in my mouth.