Ye Olde Goal Horn, CAA-style

Colorado Rockies 1976

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others.

I agree 100%, we are responsible for shaping our own; they are going to hear curses, see nudity, etc at various points... and it is on to us to explain why, why not to, etc.

My issue is more with civility; less so cursing in front children. To me, it diminishes the experience of enjoying a game when you have someone yelling obscenities, belittling refs/players/other fans (same or opposing), etc. or the tossing of food, containers, whatever else coupled with "Oh that's horsesh!t!!!", etc ... it ruins the experience that we all pay good money for just because someone feels they are entitled to throw a tantrum because the game didn't go the Devils way. I am far more vulgar in my own home, than I am ever in a public venue or space.

When you have a singular fan mouthing off... it just makes for a bad experience. So I usually will say something if it goes on for too long, and if they give me attitude back, just bring it to the attention to the staff and it normally just works itself out.

This is a bit different than the "You Suck!" chant; as most of the times the crowd is in good spirits for that... it's still unfortunate, and really, I don't understand why we do it (especially when we're trailing).

I agree 100%, we are responsible for shaping our own; they are going to hear curses, see nudity, etc at various points... and it is on to us to explain why, why not to, etc.

My issue is more with civility; less so cursing in front children. To me, it diminishes the experience of enjoying a game when you have someone yelling obscenities, belittling refs/players/other fans (same or opposing), etc. or the tossing of food, containers, whatever else coupled with "Oh that's horsesh!t!!!", etc ... it ruins the experience that we all pay good money for just because someone feels they are entitled to throw a tantrum because the game didn't go the Devils way. I am far more vulgar in my own home, than I am ever in a public venue or space.

When you have a singular fan mouthing off... it just makes for a bad experience. So I usually will say something if it goes on for too long, and if they give me attitude back, just bring it to the attention to the staff and it normally just works itself out.

This is a bit different than the "You Suck!" chant; as most of the times the crowd is in good spirits for that... it's still unfortunate, and really, I don't understand why we do it (especially when we're trailing).

Agreed on all counts.

During Saturday's game, after the goal that went off the Pen's player skate was ruled a goal, someone in my section, one row in front but on the other end (section 231), decided his form of showing his displeasure of that decision is to throw his entire cup of beer all over the people sitting in 131. Needless to say the people in 131 were very pissed as now adults and kids were now covered with beer on their clothes and you can tell it pretty much ruined their experience. When security came after the usher saw it, no one would admit to it until finally 10 minutes after security questioning a bunch of people, a couple of pens fans pointed out the guy who did it in the front row and kicked him out.

But I guess being at an arena those people in 131 should expect to be covered in beer by one of their own fans right? I mean it is part of the experience right? :rolleyes:

Edited by DevsMan84

Agreed on all counts.

During Saturday's game, after the goal that went off the Pen's player skate was ruled a goal, someone in my section, one row in front but on the other end (section 231), decided his form of showing his displeasure of that decision is to throw his entire cup of beer all over the people sitting in 131. Needless to say the people in 131 were very pissed as now adults and kids were now covered with beer on their clothes and you can tell it pretty much ruined their experience. When security came after the usher saw it, no one would admit to it until finally 10 minutes after security questioning a bunch of people, a couple of pens fans pointed out the guy who did it in the front row and kicked him out.

But I guess being at an arena those people in 131 should expect to be covered in beer by one of their own fans right? I mean it is part of the experience right? :rolleyes:

I was more referring to bad language as being a part of the experience that you can't really do too much about, though if it gets to be too much, one can always go to an usher or security.

The throwing of food and beer...clearly unacceptable. Sucks that some people think a ticket is license to do whatever they want.

I was more referring to bad language as being a part of the experience that you can't really do too much about, though if it gets to be too much, one can always go to an usher or security.

The throwing of food and beer...clearly unacceptable. Sucks that some people think a ticket is license to do whatever they want.

Yeah I mean I can take bad language. When it gets excessive or people get out of control then I text the PC Guest number. I have used it more than once this season.

Agreed on all counts.

You were in that section too? I called my Devils rep and said they are going to pay for my sisters autographed jersey (which was drenched) to be dry-cleaned and is giving us free tickets out of it. I wish I could be more happy about it but since I never bring my GF to Devils games I like every one of them to be a special experience for us. Completely ruined our day.

Edited by TheMazz

You were in that section too? I called my Devils rep and said they are going to pay for my sisters autographed jersey (which was drenched) to be dry-cleaned and is giving us free tickets out of it. I wish I could be more happy about it but since I never bring my GF to Devils games I like every one of them to be a special experience for us. Completely ruined our day.

Ah that sucks, I saw the commotion from a section behind the net and I was wondering what happened. On the positive side at least they are doing those things for you.

Oh well...since this thread that was supposed to be about bringing back the old goal horn has become a thread about "you suck" and proper fan conduct:

I don't parttake in the "you suck" chant. Not my thing. I stop at "HEY!" But "you suck" is not going anywhere. Admittedly I don't like hearing young children say it, but that's on their parents...which brings me to:

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others. I may not like other fans cursing and acting boorishly in front of her, but it's my responsibility to then explain to her why that repeating that behavior in public would reflect badly on her, and me as her father. No one else signed up for the job of raising my little girl, so I don't expect everyone else to magically start stifling themselves in her presence. The world is what it is. In reality, all I can do is try to be as positive an example for her as I can, and to point out why she shouldn't fall in with the negative ones.

Brilliance ^

(and on a side note, does it surprise you that another thread got derailed with the stupid "You Suck" debate? In the back of my head I considered jokingly asking for an over/under on when someone would mention it, but then I realized I didn't want to be the one to mention it first, of course, sure enough...)

Edited by ClarkyDano23

Brilliance ^

(and on a side note, does it surprise you that another thread got derailed with the stupid "You Suck" debate? In the back of my head I considered jokingly asking for an over/under on when someone would mention it, but then I realized I didn't want to be the one to mention it first, of course, sure enough...)

Yeah, thread got hijacked big time.

As far as "brilliance" goes...thanks, but to me it's just common sense. Sure, some people will see children near by and will edit themselves best they can. Others will be oblivious, others flat-out don't care. That's the cross-section of fans you can expect to get at any given game. For some reason, some people become parents and immediately expect the world around them to change in their child's presence...it actually comes off as a sense of entitlement more than anything else, that because they see their child as special, everyone else should too. Not at all realistic or fair. Is my little girl special to me? Of course she is. To my immediate family and closest friends? Definitely. But not far beyond that circle, she isn't, nor should she be, just because she's my kid. I don't expect the world to kowtow to my kid, but boy a lot of parents that I deal with sure do...because they think their offspring walks on water, everyone else should too. It's funny, I know a lot of people who aren't kid-lovers, and I understand that either having kids or dealing with kids isn't for everyone, but I find a lot of parents to be far more annoying than most kids I meet.

As far as "brilliance" goes...thanks, but to me it's just common sense. Sure, some people will see children near by and will edit themselves best they can. Others will be oblivious, others flat-out don't care. That's the cross-section of fans you can expect to get at any given game. For some reason, some people become parents and immediately expect the world around them to change in their child's presence...it actually comes off as a sense of entitlement more than anything else, that because they see their child as special, everyone else should too. Not at all realistic or fair. Is my little girl special to me? Of course she is. To my immediate family and closest friends? Definitely. But not far beyond that circle, she isn't, nor should she be, just because she's my kid. I don't expect the world to kowtow to my kid, but boy a lot of parents that I deal with sure do...because they think their offspring walks on water, everyone else should too. It's funny, I know a lot of people who aren't kid-lovers, and I understand that either having kids or dealing with kids isn't for everyone, but I find a lot of parents to be far more annoying than most kids I meet.

Totally agree with that statement.

As for the goal horn, I will prob be emailing the mgmt email alias either later today or tomorrow. I hope others will too and hopefully get this changed soon.

I agree with what you say, and in particular I'd agree that it's common sense, except it doesn't appear all that common, unfortunately(at least from my limited experience, nor your experience from what you wrote).

And in the interest of getting the thread back on track, I wish I could've heard the horn in person on Saturday. From what I understand they were gonna do the old horn last year too, but of course, we got shutout against the Caps that day

Edited by ClarkyDano23

And in the interest of getting the thread back on track, I wish I could've heard the horn in person on Saturday. From what I understand they were gonna do the old horn last year too, but of course, we got shutout against the Caps that day

It was pretty amazing. I just wish I could have heard it more than twice.