Jim Rutherford New Pens GM

DH26

How could Pierre McGuire ever have been considered for a GM position of Pittsburgh. He was fired from Hartford in like 1994 and from ottawa as an assistant a year later. He's been broadcasting since 1997. This guy hasn't had any sort of meaningful managerial or coaching job in forever. How does he even get an interview? Other than a tryout with the Devils 30 years ago he's never seen NHL ice and never played in the AHL.

I think everyone is peeved off with that hiring. Why does Pitt have to be dumb. Wait that's right cuz they need pierre to talk up Crosby and the pens cuz nobody else has a love affair with him besides pierre. God I hate this move hahahahaha.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Our rivals Philly got just a little bit better with coach Berube.

Our rivals New York got pretty damn good for a temporary window of the next few years.

I'm glad to say I think Pittsburgh is finally on the decline.

The rags peak window is this year. They'll be a playoff team next year and are capable of winning rounds...but they're not winning any cups in the near future if they don't do it now. Lundqvist is turning 33 next year, St. Louis 39, Richards 35. They may lose Stralman and top to bottom they don't really have great goal scoring prowess.

How could Pierre McGuire ever have been considered for a GM position of Pittsburgh. He was fired from Hartford in like 1994 and from ottawa as an assistant a year later. He's been broadcasting since 1997. This guy hasn't had any sort of meaningful managerial or coaching job in forever. How does he even get an interview? Other than a tryout with the Devils 30 years ago he's never seen NHL ice and never played in the AHL.

this has been discussed, but i would argue that there is noone with more knowledge of players and prospects that mcGuire. he may not necessarily peg the winners from the losers, but he clearly knows what he's looking at and what he sees. i am obviously in the minority in that i like pierre a lot on tv. i've met him several times in person and had conversations with him. seems like a genuinely good guy who loves everything about hockey. the knock is that he also loves KNOWING that he knows everything about these players and can talk over plays with additional commentary that isn't necessary.

everyone loves to hate on him for felating crosby. news flash - crosby is really good and often does really impressive things on the ice. i've also seen pierre criticize him when he's dogged it or made a bad play.

i would have absolutely no problem with pierre being a part of the braintrust for my team.

Hmm...Pittsburgh making some very foolish moves here.  Just because the team has struggled in the playoffs, they look like they're ready to blow the team up.  The firing of Byslma is NOT confirmed though as that is only a report, I could see it happening though.  Most teams would kill to have the success that Pittsburgh has had in terms of being a contender on a yearly basis.

EDIT: Nevermind.  I'm watching the presser right now.  Byslma is done in Pittsburgh

Edited by RizzMB30

I'd kill to have PIerre working for the Devils scouting department.  The guy clearly knows what he's talking about.

As a GM though..not so much.  Can you imagine him during a contract negotiation?  It'd be hilariously awkward.

Has Paul Maurice signed to be the head coach in Winnipeg? Whether he would return there was based on family considerations for him I had heard. I'd have to think he'd be Rutherford's #1 choice if he's available.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/jets-sign-head-coach-paul-maurice-to-four-year-contract-extension/article18037987/

I'd kill to have PIerre working for the Devils scouting department.  The guy clearly knows what he's talking about.

As a GM though..not so much.  Can you imagine him during a contract negotiation?  It'd be hilariously awkward.

I like Pierre a lot as well, for many of the reasons Sundstrom mentioned.  I kind of agree with you though that what's probably holding him back from getting a GM job is that he's probably been unimpressive in interviews (he interviewed for the Canadians' job a few years ago) when it comes to contract negotiations and salary cap management.  Or at least that's my guess.

Shero has been good, minus this past season, making moves such as acquiring Goc and Stempniak. 

The Jordan Staal trade could prove to be a giant winner as also. 

Interesting to see if Rutherford poaches Carolina for a player the likes of Cam Ward to work a 1A - 1B combo with Fleury

I would actually be a great idea I think.  They would compliment each other perfectly.  Fleury can be the workhouse during the regular season and step in when Ward hurts himself, and then Wardo can come in when Fleury chokes in the playoffs.  I figured that picking up Vokoun would solve their 'tending problem for a few years at least because Vokoun is a amazing goalie, albeit old and now dealing with blood clots.

I would actually be a great idea I think.  They would compliment each other perfectly.  Fleury can be the workhouse during the regular season and step in when Ward hurts himself, and then Wardo can come in when Fleury chokes in the playoffs.  I figured that picking up Vokoun would solve their 'tending problem for a few years at least because Vokoun is a amazing goalie, albeit old and now dealing with blood clots.

they're not gonna pay upwards of 11million for two pretty ok goalies. If you get Ward, it's the end of MAF. And Ron Francis would probably drive him to the airport at 100mph to make sure Pittsburgh didn't change its mind 

they're not gonna pay upwards of 11million for two pretty ok goalies. If you get Ward, it's the end of MAF. And Ron Francis would probably drive him to the airport at 100mph to make sure Pittsburgh didn't change its mind 

The Canes could always flip Ward and other pieces FOR Fleury and whatever just to get the contract off the books and because they have two other goalies that can play, then just buy out Fleury or let him play out his option there.

Edited by NJDevs4978