2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

..yeah, this kid has all the tools to make it. I hope he picks it all up quickly.

Dustin Keller -- Kellen Winslow
Tim Tebow -- Geno Smith
Darrelle Revis -- Dee Milliner
LaRon Landry -- Dawan Landry
Sione Pouha -- Sheldon Richardson
Bart Scott -- Antwan Barnes
Shonn Greene -- Chris Ivory
Chaz Schilens -- Braylon Edwards
Mike DeVito -- Ricky Sapp
Tony Sparano -- Marty Mornhinweg

Beezer the Jets clearly upgraded this off season. Curious how long the NY media makes Rex genuflect and pull Sanchez for a rookie.

I'm not saying you're wrong.. some positions absolutely jump out at me. My concern is chemistry\transition. If everything goes right, I think the Jets can definitely surprise people this season.

..yeah, this kid has all the tools to make it. I hope he picks it all up quickly.

I'm not saying you're wrong.. some positions absolutely jump out at me. My concern is chemistry\transition. If everything goes right, I think the Jets can definitely surprise people this season.

I don't think there's a chance that they finish lower than top 5 or 6 in run defense, and while that's not half the battle it is a good 30% of it or so.

Geno has looked good in camp thus far. So has Stephen Hill

Clyde Gates has also been an early surprise

Edited by '7'

Looks like the; Wildcat\Read’Option\Pistol\Change-of-Pace QB.. is coming back for 2013..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/731-Rex-Wildcat-is-Here-to-Stay/257e6379-2735-4d75-a2bc-61b30c688ab5 

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/07/rex-ryan-says-jets-will-run-more-wildcat-this-year

We probably are going to use a lot of it this season. [the wildcat] I would say that’s part of what we do. Teams are getting these QB's now. These mobile quarterbacks with size, speed, all that type of stuff, so I would say the read-option is here to stay. It’s a great equalizer. It does give you the numbers back. Sometimes on defense you’re playing with plus one. We got Dave [David Lee] who brought the package to the NFL on our staff as Quarterback Coach. He’s been a big contributor, and that’s what you love about Marty [Mornhinweg] also. He takes the knowledge he has, and he’s very knowledgeable about it, but then he takes his staff and he collects information from everybody. We’ve done it with Brad Smith and Jeremy Kerley in the past, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be the quarterback. But the fact that it is the quarterback I think sometimes is even better than having a running back type guy do it. This is the reason why I think the Tebow package didn’t work last season. If you’re going to have a quarterback that has those skills, like a Kaepernick or somebody like that, then obviously it becomes more of a weapon, because you’re defending the pass. You’re not just knowing that Tebow’s going in and he’s just going to run the ball. That’s kind of where we were last year it seemed like.” --Rex Ryan

Ryan was throwing offensive coordinator Tony Sparano under the bus with that statement, criticizing the fact that Tebow predictably ran between the tackles almost every play he was in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..absolutely LOVE the dig @ TT & TS.

I've always thought that Tebow could've been deployed much better than how he was. It's a shame the whole thing didn't work out better.

Edited by Beezer34

Looks like the; Wildcat\Read’Option\Pistol\Change-of-Pace QB.. is coming back for 2013..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/731-Rex-Wildcat-is-Here-to-Stay/257e6379-2735-4d75-a2bc-61b30c688ab5 

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2013/07/rex-ryan-says-jets-will-run-more-wildcat-this-year

We probably are going to use a lot of it this season. [the wildcat] I would say that’s part of what we do. Teams are getting these QB's now. These mobile quarterbacks with size, speed, all that type of stuff, so I would say the read-option is here to stay. It’s a great equalizer. It does give you the numbers back. Sometimes on defense you’re playing with plus one. We got Dave [David Lee] who brought the package to the NFL on our staff as Quarterback Coach. He’s been a big contributor, and that’s what you love about Marty [Mornhinweg] also. He takes the knowledge he has, and he’s very knowledgeable about it, but then he takes his staff and he collects information from everybody. We’ve done it with Brad Smith and Jeremy Kerley in the past, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be the quarterback. But the fact that it is the quarterback I think sometimes is even better than having a running back type guy do it. This is the reason why I think the Tebow package didn’t work last season. If you’re going to have a quarterback that has those skills, like a Kaepernick or somebody like that, then obviously it becomes more of a weapon, because you’re defending the pass. You’re not just knowing that Tebow’s going in and he’s just going to run the ball. That’s kind of where we were last year it seemed like.” --Rex Ryan

Ryan was throwing offensive coordinator Tony Sparano under the bus with that statement, criticizing the fact that Tebow predictably ran between the tackles almost every play he was in.

..absolutely LOVE the dig @ TT & TS.

I've always thought that Tebow could've been deployed much better than how he was. It's a shame the whole thing didn't work out better.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. They used it brilliantly with Brad Smith, he was perfect in that role...a 4/5 receiver who was a great special teamer and a gadget player.

Kerley can do it, but I feel he's probably better served in the slot. Especially now that we don't have a healthy Holmes

If Geno was brought in to be a potential franchise QB, then why expose him to the hits he's going to take from the D by running this package? I'd much rather develop him as a straight drop back passer

I'm not sure how I feel about this. They used it brilliantly with Brad Smith, he was perfect in that role...a 4/5 receiver who was a great special teamer and a gadget player.

Kerley can do it, but I feel he's probably better served in the slot. Especially now that we don't have a healthy Holmes

If Geno was brought in to be a potential franchise QB, then why expose him to the hits he's going to take from the D by running this package? I'd much rather develop him as a straight drop back passer

Play to your strengths. Geno is a lethal weapon in that system

..still, you gotta believe that the combination of Geno & Mornhinweg is a hell of alot closer to Brad Smith & Schotty, than Tebow & Sparano.

I continue to tame my expectations for the offense this year.. however, when I look at the team on paper, I do feel cautiously optimistic. Stephen Hill, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes. --We never had them all playing at once on the team at the same time last season. Edwards had 150 yards in only 3 games. Holmes was on pace for having a career year, and he only played in 4 games. And despite the fact that I think Keller is better than Winslow, he missed 9 games due to injury last year! I know I may be beating a dead horse when I say this, but an offense consisting of; Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner and Derrick Epps, isn’t going to move the ball on any team. And yet STILL notwithstanding, this team was 6-10 last year, with 4 losses coming by 1 touchdown or less.

Maybe the Jets aren't as bad as everyone's saying.. we'll see.

aahhhhh i see. so last years jets shoulda been 10 & 6 huh?? ur level of optimisim is boundless. u guys deserved 2 be what u were last season. and wo any real qb, or a good secondary with bell revis landry leaving, i doubt anything chanegs this season

aahhhhh i see. so last years jets shoulda been 10 & 6 huh?? ur level of optimisim is boundless. u guys deserved 2 be what u were last season. and wo any real qb, or a good secondary with bell revis landry leaving, i doubt anything chanegs this season

nobody said they could be 10-6, but with decent QB play 8-8 would've been likely. Smith Is an upgrade over Sanchez, and they DID draft the best CB available and have a pro bowler in Cromartie lining up on the other side. Corners won't be a problem. Safety might be. The WR corps will also be improved

..still, you gotta believe that the combination of Geno & Mornhinweg is a hell of alot closer to Brad Smith & Schotty, than Tebow & Sparano.

I continue to tame my expectations for the offense this year.. however, when I look at the team on paper, I do feel cautiously optimistic. Stephen Hill, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes. --We never had them all playing at once on the team at the same time last season. Edwards had 150 yards in only 3 games. Holmes was on pace for having a career year, and he only played in 4 games. And despite the fact that I think Keller is better than Winslow, he missed 9 games due to injury last year! I know I may be beating a dead horse when I say this, but an offense consisting of; Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner and Derrick Epps, isn’t going to move the ball on any team. And yet STILL notwithstanding, this team was 6-10 last year, with 4 losses coming by 1 touchdown or less.

Maybe the Jets aren't as bad as everyone's saying.. we'll see.

Yes, Geno and Mornhinweg have me excited. I think we'll see creative play calling this season...a fast paced up tempo offense, and just all around more effective use of talent in the roles that they are best suited for. Marty will be the best pure play caller and offensive organizer we've had since maybe Charlie Weis (though Dan Henning had his moments)

Hill has taken some strides this year in camp. He is really emerging as one of those dominant "freak" physical specimen types. He was a little raw last year.

Corners won't be a problem. Safety might be.

I actually don't think the Jets are done signing guys yet. When other teams begin training camp cuts, I feel the Jets will add players at depth positions.. and I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Leonhard isn't one of those guys.

There's been two pretty big bright spots at FS & SS coming out of NO, and neither are starters. Both Rafael Bush & Abdul-Quddus are having exceptional camps for the Saints, and they're both considerably younger than Leonhard. I can't see them cutting either of those two, as they're perfect depth players. Meanwhile Kenny Vaccaro was their 1st round pick this year, 15th overall.. and then obviously Malcom Jenkins & Roman Harper are their starters and aren't going anywhere. It seems unlikely that New Orleans will keep 7 safeties when trying to get down to the final 53.. and if they go by age and training camp performance, Leonhard may be the odd-man out.

..there's nothing you can say that will change how I feel about this team heading into the season. I think these Jets are going to surprise people.

Beez is just being his usual stir-the-pot self. Everything I've seen about Gronkowski states that doctors are optimistic that he may be able to play by Week 1. I'll believe it when I see it, that he won't be on the field until Week 4. 

..per rotoworld; http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski

Edited by Beezer34

Interesting thing about Leonhard is that he's a bit younger than I thought...I figured he was 33-34, just looked him up and he's 30. And safeties tend to have slightly longer careers. Would love to have him back. He's not a big ball-hawk, and you don't have to be as a safety, but he's a defensive leader and fundamentally sound in all areas of the game. Would love to have him back.

My actual post Beez, which wasn't even made in this thread...slicing and dicing my post up to make yourself look better is pretty weak, even for you:

Beez is just being his usual stir-the-pot self, just doing it earlier this year. Brady cemented his legacy a long time ago.

Everything I've seen about Gronkowski states that doctors are optimistic that he may be able to play by Week 1 (though I'm not kidding myself that he'll be Gronk as we know him early on). I'll believe it when I see it, that he won't be on the field until Week 4.

Re: Hernandez, it's impossible to tell how something like this affects a team until they take the field; that being said, I think Beez (not surprisingly) already has NE penciled in for losses against the Bills and the Jets. LIke I said, I have no idea how Hernandez's situation (I don't know what else to call it yet) will affect the on-field product, but I can't say that I'm going to pick against Brady w/regards to two teams that each went 6-10 last season, and are loaded with question marks this season.

I was responding to your implication that Brady needed to go 10-6 with this Patriot team to cement his legacy more than what you were saying about Gronk.  At the time I posted that, there was a lot of optimism that Gronk might be able to make Week 1, though probably not 100% or anywhere near it.  Clearly it's not looking good for him. 

I can't bet against Brady and Belichick just yet, but that's mostly because they have such an incredible track record together...even with the recent playoff follies, they've found a way to continue putting up gaudy regular-season records.  I expect everyone from fans to experts to predict that this might be the beginning of the end, but I've seen them win without big names.  If I were to through a prediction out there, I'm guessing 10-6, with some of the losses being ugly.  Probably gets them a 4 or 5 seed.  We'll find out soon enough. 

What difference does it make not acknowledging the entire post?? The point was regarding Gronk's injury.. nothing to do with your opinion(s) on TB. I don't care what the original topic was that segued into it.. nor is it relevant "what thread" I obtained it.

Last month I had said that I was hearing RG's injury would keep him off the field for the Jets game for Week 2. You had said that you heard; "doctors are optimistic that he'd play Week 1", and that you'll; "believe it when you see it, that he won't be on the field until Week 4."

..take it like a champ, and stop grasping at straws from what\where\when\who\how my post came off.

Quoting only parts of posts out of context has a way of changing the meaning Beez, and you know that, and you also know that's why you chose to delete key parts of my post(kind of like the way a lot of your football posts only tell part of the story).  You know what you were trying to do with the selective deleting (you wouldn't have done it otherwise), and I know you won't admit it.  A douche move, but from you it's to be expected.   

Kind of like the way you play both sides of the coin.  If someone actually calls you out on your bullsh!t, then it's "Duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, you're obsessed with me".  If you don't get a response or get ignored, then it's "Duuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, I win, he had nut-un."...the key word in both sentences being "Duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh"

Anyway, this is a Jet thread, not a Pat thread anyway, so I'm out until Week 2.

I did NOT take your post out of context. I broke down your EXACT QUOTE on the Gronkowski injury, and removed your sentence on Brady.. which had nothing to do with either my link, or the topic at hand. Had I left the sentence on Brady, it would've changed anything regarding your feeling(s) on Gronkowski. That is NOT taking something out of context, it is paraphrasing a point of view. Paraphrase [par-uh-freyz] verb; "To extract certain texts from a passage, and restate it's meaning." -- example; **The train was not allowed to pass because the signal was red.** paraphrased **The signal was red.**

Furthermore.. you said I "took out key points" on your post. Please illustrate to me what key points these are?? If your attempt to educate me on this was half-wittingly showcasing your post in it's entirety, you sadly failed again.. because any\all that was said regarding Gronkowski's injury was left. Thus, why your sentence on Brady was removed. My post was a response to another user originally. Yet you felt the need to address every single one of my point(s) --Brady, Gronk injury, loss of Hernandez, etc.. And you crying foul because I didn't leave in a sentence with Brady doesn't prove you're grasping at straws?? -lol.

But why would you want to acknowledge it in a grown up way? It's so much more fun pretending someone is saying "duuh" and name calling; weak, douche, etc. Just try to adhere to your prognostications going forward, without 11 year old back-peddling.

See you again come Week 2, where (insert random Brady sentence here) Gronkowski will not be playing!

Edited by Beezer34

I don't see what the point of this whole tete-a-tete is, to trumpet you were right about Gronkowski?  If so then you should have c/p'ed your own post, and not tried to tweak CR - probably the least homeristic fan out there - by c/ping one of his posts from another thread into a Jets thread.  

What he posted wasn't exactly off the wall or incendiary anyway, he was just going by what he'd heard on Gronkowski at the time (though the Pats are never exactly truthful with injury reports anyway so everything's gotta be taken with a grain of salt both ways since they're just as capable of overselling an injury as underselling one :P).  You are correct that posting the entire post doesn't change the point you were trying to make - that he was wrong on Gronk - but who flipping cares that he thought Gronk wasn't going to miss time a few weeks ago anyway?  I don't think a lot of us thought a few weeks ago that Santonio Holmes was going to miss multiple weeks in this season too...to attempt to bring this discussion back to the thread topic at hand.

Edited by NJDevs4978

i dont think beezer was tryin 2 trumpet anything at all. he just threw it out there. dude posts his opion & gets call out as stirring the pot & then aint allowed 2 get a shot in on his own with a link? i rarely agree w/beezer on things but that aint cool

I don't see what the point of this whole tete-a-tete is, to trumpet you were right about Gronkowski?  If so then you should have c/p'ed your own post, and not tried to tweak CR

It was not what he said.. it was how it was said. An opinion on Brady that carries ZERO negativity, is hardly "stirring the pot".. nor is saying how a microscopic lumbar discectomy removing part of the spine, typically carries a recovery time of 12-14 weeks. Reread the exchange, and tell me who's trying to engage who? 99.9% I usually never respond when CR reply's to one of my posts. It gets tiring constantly being the bigger person.

And damn right my post was a tweak! I'm not allowed to in retaliation? If you're going to put yourself out there and accuse someone of essentially trying to start an argument, ending it with; "I'll believe it when I see it", turnabout should be fair play. --and posting a link with no other verbiage, doesn't justify; weak.. douche.. duhhh responses Has.. sorry.

Interesting thing about Leonhard is that he's a bit younger than I thought...I figured he was 33-34, just looked him up and he's 30. And safeties tend to have slightly longer careers. Would love to have him back. He's not a big ball-hawk, and you don't have to be as a safety, but he's a defensive leader and fundamentally sound in all areas of the game. Would love to have him back.

..back on-topic, I would feel VERY comfortable with a secondary of: Landry, Cro, Milliner, Wilson, and Leonhard. As it is now, we should be alright, but we'll just have to see I guess. Will the losses of Bell & Revis hurt? -of course. How much? -that remains to be seen.

Okay who is this guy in the Sanchez jersey?  This guy actually looks like a semi-competent QB since bottoming out on the first three throws (other than potentially ANOTHER pick-six Winslow saved his *** on).  Of course Detroit's a bad defense too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Dirty horse collar tackle likely breaks the ankle of backup RB John Griffin. Best we can hope is a high ankle sprain. But it looked ugly

Also Geno Smith now limping. Looked like a sprain

Edited by '7'

i been critical on samchez but that was a solid 80yrd td drive

Okay who is this guy in the Sanchez jersey? This guy actually looks like a semi-competent QB.

Listen, I don't expect Sanchez to go through the entire 16 game season throwing only 5 picks. Interceptions are going to happen.. that's football. The important thing is to rebound from them, which is something Mark wasn't doing last season. He did it with that 80 yard drive however, and he did it spreading the ball around with an even distribution, completing 10 passes to 8 different players. I'm not going to go nuts over an interception in the first quarter of a preseason game. What you're seeing now, is what we all saw in 2009 & 2010.. and that's; what Sanchez can do with a halfway decent o-line, a LEGIT OC, and some weapons at his disposal. --and like Has said, he looks like a different quarterback out there.

I also liked how MM altered the gameplan to more of the screen passes when he saw the Lions sending pressure. Opposing teams are going to recognize that Sanchez is a fragile QB mentally, and try to throw the house at him with blitzes. That's exactly what Detroit was doing, and credit Mornhinweg for identifying it early, and adjusting accordingly. Now the message has been sent to any team that watched tonight's game. You want to send everyone? -fine. But we'll adjust and beat you with the underneath. Sparano just didn't know how to adjust last season.

..some other observations..

•The LB experiment with QC. Couples had a sack and 4 tackles barely playing half the 1st quarter. I'm salivating.

•I know it's only 1 game, but Kyle Wilson looks like a different player. This secondary may not be as bad as some think.

•Stephen Hill.. he better start playing like he's a visible WR, because right now he doesn't do much of anything.

•The Old Guys. Over 50 yards on only 4 combined catches between Winslow & Braylon.

•Zach Rogers.. good luck in the IFL.

•Geno Smith. My God.. if you're a Sanchez basher, you must've wanted to hide under your bed after tonight's game. The guy did nothing. For all the hype, he looked so far in over his head, it may take him an entire year just to sit and absorb everything. His one chance in space to actually showcase his ability, ended with him tripping over his own two feet and injuring himself. Then if that isn't enough, the 3rd string QB comes in and makes a case why he should be a backup. His shape\conditioning has been questioned along with his attitude. He better get them both in check, or the 7Smith jerseys'll be on the bargain racks.

Geno Smith now limping. Looks like a sprain.

..tough luck for the kid, no question. We'll see about the severity. Sprains can be worse than breaks.

I said it before and it bears repeating.. say what you want about Sanchez, but for 5 years now, he's been one of the most durable quarterbacks for the Jets over the last 25 years.

Edited by Beezer34

Yeah that's one thing you gotta give him, durability.  He missed one game due to injury in his career iirc and that was kind of a lame 'coaching staff held the guy out against a bad team' type deal in his rookie year.  They protected him fairly well his first couple years, but at times the last couple years you thought the guy would have to be carried out on a bodybag like McElroy was.

I wasn't impressed with Geno from what I saw.  I can barely watch the second half of most of these preseason games though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Geno gets an incomplete for the night. He throws a pretty ball, but was sort of tentative. Not enough to go off of.

Aboushay looked horrible. Wasn't a fan of that pick to begin with.

Greg McElroy looked much improved. Looks like he's gained some arm strength.

We really need Goodson and Ivory in the lineup

Braylon and Winslow...eh these veterans don't go full speed in pre season games anyway. They know to save themselves

I thought Gates looked really good when he was in there

Hill was targeted twice and made too catches. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't drop anything, I think they got him out of there pretty early.

Edited by '7'