GDT: ECF Game 2 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

Aww that's cute, Triumph. See, now because I am sooooo Tech-savy, I was able to change the game number to look at game 1 and low and behold, the Devils numbers were better in that game as well. Well, the numbers were better in all but one major category. I know, I know, it is a long-term study blah, blah, blah. I also think it is cute that you bother including the goaltenders, their fenwick and corsi rating really is a true measure of how well they play. Brodeur wasn't good last night because of all the saves he made, he was good because he was on ice for more "shots towards the opponent's net than towards his own". BTW, how many shots attempted, on goal, wide,and blocked, did Brodeur and Lundqvist have last night?

Have to agree here. Corse and Fenwick are bogus figures in the playoffs.

The only figure that matters is the score.

Have to agree here. Corse and Fenwick are bogus figures in the playoffs.

The only figure that matters is the score.

They're bogus in that you can SEE it happening. You don't need numbers and metrics to see the Rangers sit in their own zone and take physical abuse night after night. Does it mean the Devils are going to win? Not necessarily, there were a bunch of things the Devils did wrong overagressively around their offensive blueline that could have burnt them. But the more pounding the Rangers take and the more they sit back and park the bus, the less likely they're going to have anything left to counter with on those screwups. It's like the Philly series, it got to a point that it didn't even MATTER the Devils were screwing up.

The Devils also did a much better job of stalling last night to open up lanes, Rangers were flailing everywhere!!

They must have watched more tape of what the Caps did to have the Rags sliding all over the ice like fish out of water! I expected them to do more of that in Game 1...guess it took playing a game against it for them to get it together. Hopefully we can take these 2 at THE ROCK!!!

They're bogus in that you can SEE it happening. You don't need numbers and metrics to see the Rangers sit in their own zone and take physical abuse night after night. Does it mean the Devils are going to win? Not necessarily, there were a bunch of things the Devils did wrong overagressively around their offensive blueline that could have burnt them. But the more pounding the Rangers take and the more they sit back and park the bus, the less likely they're going to have anything left to counter with on those screwups. It's like the Philly series, it got to a point that it didn't even MATTER the Devils were screwing up.

This is said much better than I could've put it. If the Rangers want to play counter-attack, as they seem pretty eager to do in this series, they might be able to get opportunities - the Devils aren't great on transition defense and they are often too aggressive. But the longer they get hemmed in their own zone on shifts, the harder it is for them to muster a counter-attack - it just makes shifts dump the puck out/get a Lundqvist freeze/rinse/repeat.

In bold: this is what will worry me right up until the moment the Devils finish off the Rangers (not implying that this is an automatic by any stretch...not even close). The problem is, when Lundqvist is on his game (especially against the Devils, for whatever the reasons), the Rangers don't need much counterpunching to win...they're going to have their share of nights where two goals for will be enough to win, and they can even make just one goal stand up. Last night was terrific, I couldn't be more happy that the Devils scored three times, but it would be nice to see Lundqvist give up a friggin' so-so goal once in a while...it took a perfect shot from Kovy and two terrific deflections to beat the guy.

In bold: this is what will worry me right up until the moment the Devils finish off the Rangers (not implying that this is an automatic by any stretch...not even close). The problem is, when Lundqvist is on his game (especially against the Devils, for whatever the reasons), the Rangers don't need much counterpunching to win...they're going to have their share of nights where two goals for will be enough to win, and they can even make just one goal stand up. Last night was terrific, I couldn't be more happy that the Devils scored three times, but it would be nice to see Lundqvist give up a friggin' so-so goal once in a while...it took a perfect shot from Kovy and two terrific deflections to beat the guy.

Well at least we proved the great shot-blocking defense was human last night, if nothing else. It'll be nice to actually have real NHL ice for a change, and hopefully start getting a few more calls (I'm not holding my breath on that one though). There is going to be at least one game where they beat us 1-0, or 2-1 with a 30-save performance in all likelihood. We need to match that (and win a similar game), then dominate in the other games.

Hopefully Saturday and Monday are real home-ice advantages...all indications are so far it may be our best Devil-Ranger fan ratio yet. That'd be a big boost emotionally to the team I think.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Aww that's cute, Triumph. See, now because I am sooooo Tech-savy, I was able to change the game number to look at game 1 and low and behold, the Devils numbers were better in that game as well. Well, the numbers were better in all but one major category. I know, I know, it is a long-term study blah, blah, blah. I also think it is cute that you bother including the goaltenders, their fenwick and corsi rating really is a true measure of how well they play. Brodeur wasn't good last night because of all the saves he made, he was good because he was on ice for more "shots towards the opponent's net than towards his own". BTW, how many shots attempted, on goal, wide,and blocked, did Brodeur and Lundqvist have last night?

Staal's goal, does that count as a shot wide and a shot on goal, or do you give Staal a shot wide and the shot on goal is given to the end boards?

Oh, I didn't even bother to read how stupid this is. Including the goalies is a great way to show what the totals are for each team, otherwise it'd be difficult to figure out.

Staal's goal, does that count as a shot wide and a shot on goal, or do you give Staal a shot wide and the shot on goal is given to the end boards?

Matteau as as someone who defends your right to be on here and as a plebeian poster, I can honestly say you are making pretty feeble attempts to pretend you can play the numbers game with Triumph and JMI.

Edit: I mean, I guess you're doin your best to keep up in a debate that's not your area...so kudos there I guess.

Edited by ben00rs

Matteau as as someone who defends your right to be on here and as a plebeian poster, I can honestly say you are making pretty feeble attempts to pretend you can play the numbers game with Triumph and JMI.

Edit: I mean, I guess you're doin your best to keep up in a debate that's not your area...so kudos there I guess.

I appreciate you defending me, however I am a hell of a lot stronger when it comes to numbers than most of the population and know exactly what I am talking about. I even took some time to look at his blog and watch one of his podcasts. Laughed my butt off as he thinks he is some real sports journalist/analyst.

Oh, I didn't even bother to read how stupid this is. Including the goalies is a great way to show what the totals are for each team, otherwise it'd be difficult to figure out.

not really. All you need is to add the total shots on goal, shots missed, shots blocked, then compare. Yeah, you are right, that would be VERY difficult.

not really. All you need is to add the total shots on goal, shots missed, shots blocked, then compare. Yeah, you are right, that would be VERY difficult.

imagine you are programming that site. is it easier to total those numbers, or just use the goalie's numbers, which are available anyway?