No Banner Raising?

CarpathianForest

Also, for my money, Elias is a better player than MacLean was, and it probably isn't even that close. That's both for the Devils and for overall career. Maclean played in an era where multiple players would score 50+ goals, Elias played in an era where players scored less and Elias still outdid MacLean by points, while being a better defensive player.

MacLean was a top Devil for a bunch of years, Elias was a top player in the league for a bunch of years. I'd rate Elias much higher when looking whose jersey might get retired, even if you counted MacLean's whole career.

You definitely can't compare them by the numbers...they played in different eras. For Elias, top offensive teams averaged 3.5 GPG. For MacLean, 3.5 GPG was the mark of an average team, with several teams averaging 4+, and teams like Gretzky's Oilers averaging over 5 GPG.

MacLean was really one of the first bona-fide Devils stars, and was a very good player for a while, though his torn ACL really derailed him...he still had some nice goal output seasons after that, but was never as good as he was when he scored 128 goals from '88-'89 to '90-'91. But he was a big reason the Devils slowly but surely were starting to get some respect...just like his Devils, MacLean had to fight for everything he got. Elias began his career with a team that was already established. MacLean was a big reason the Devils became established in the first place.

Anyway, no argument as to who was better. Clearly it's Elias, and MacLean remaining a Devil wouldn't have changed that fact. But like I said, it's too bad MacLean refused to give his new role with the Devils a chance...he could've still been a valuable, though less statiscally impressive, commodity.

• Like 1

I remember when it was just "Patrick Division Playoff Champs" for so long...the Devils really have come a long way...

You definitely can't compare them by the numbers...they played in different eras. For Elias, top offensive teams averaged 3.5 GPG. For MacLean, 3.5 GPG was the mark of an average team, with several teams averaging 4+, and teams like Gretzky's Oilers averaging over 5 GPG.

MacLean was really one of the first bona-fide Devils stars, and was a very good player for a while, though his torn ACL really derailed him...he still had some nice goal output seasons after that, but was never as good as he was when he scored 128 goals from '88-'89 to '90-'91. But he was a big reason the Devils slowly but surely were starting to get some respect...just like his Devils, MacLean had to fight for everything he got. Elias began his career with a team that was already established. MacLean was a big reason the Devils became established in the first place.

Anyway, no argument as to who was better. Clearly it's Elias, and MacLean remaining a Devil wouldn't have changed that fact. But like I said, it's too bad MacLean refused to give his new role with the Devils a chance...he could've still been a valuable, though less statiscally impressive, commodity.

Spot on!

There were sellouts across the league, but it was pretty much teams doing good to fans by giving away free tickets and advertising like crazy. In Ottawa, any ticket purchased for the home opener came with a free ticket for anyone 14 and under.

The fact that the Devils didn't even advertise tickets for the home opener against the Isles broadcast blows my mind even for this organization.

There were sellouts across the league, but it was pretty much teams doing good to fans by giving away free tickets and advertising like crazy. In Ottawa, any ticket purchased for the home opener came with a free ticket for anyone 14 and under.

The fact that the Devils didn't even advertise tickets for the home opener against the Isles broadcast blows my mind even for this organization.

So far, it seems like the Devils have only targeted their STHs and email list subsribers for special deals. They haven't reached out to the average fan at all, unlike lots of other teams.

Its up already

147amd.jpg

Thanks for posting that. They're running out of room on that side of the barn. Looks like they're about one banner away from having to start a second row. I was curious as to whether this banner put them over that threshold or not, so question answered ...

Just wondering...do teams hang banners for Presidents Trophies? I've never really noticed.

Glad the Devils don't do the Eastern Conference Regular Season Champs thing...that feels like an excuse to put another banner up. I'm on the fence about banners for Presidents Trophies. Presidents Trophies don't really mean much in the grand scheme.

Jeez, I didn't realize the Wings were such glory whores. I'm surprised they didn't raise a banner in honor of the Avs retiring Bourque's number. Kinda cheapens how full their rafters look.

Agree, the Devils could have some extra Eastern Conference Regular Season Champs banners if they wanted to. Bleech!

Jeez, I didn't realize the Wings were such glory whores. I'm surprised they didn't raise a banner in honor of the Avs retiring Bourque's number. Kinda cheapens how full their rafters look.

Philly has banners for guys inducted into the Flyers' HOF

But Philly's SCC banners are the worst.. Soooo ugly.. They look like they were designed by someone all the way back in the 70's.. Oh wait :P

Edited by Colin226

But Philly's SCC banners are the worst.. Soooo ugly.. They look like they were designed by someone all the way back in the 70's.. Oh wait :P

Devs should definitely have a "Ring of Fire" someday. No banners for those players though. Keep the banners only for players whose numbers are retired.

<br /><br />Philly has banners for guys inducted into the Flyers' HOF<br /><br />But Philly's SCC banners are the worst.. Soooo ugly.. They look like they were designed by someone all the way back in the 70's.. Oh wait :P

Holy crap, you're right. I always assumed those "HALL OF FAME" banners were for former Flyers inducted into the real deal Hall in Toronto, but the only way guys like Tim Kerr and Joe Watson get in there is if they pay admission like you or me.

flyers-banners-wells-fargo-center-philadelphia.jpg

Holy crap, you're right. I always assumed those "HALL OF FAME" banners were for former Flyers inducted into the real deal Hall in Toronto, but the only way guys like Tim Kerr and Joe Watson get in there is if they pay admission like you or me.

flyers-banners-wells-fargo-center-philadelphia.jpg

I was at Dave Schultz night back in 2009 when we lost 3-2 (with our 2nd goal coming a few seconds before the end of the game).. What jackass that guy was

I'm on the fence about banners for Presidents Trophies. Presidents Trophies don't really mean much in the grand scheme.

You could say that about the division championships, too,

But the division titles fans kind of care about simply because they mean you dominated the area. You had to beat your local rivals to get that. I like teams acknowledging that. The President's Trophy is much, much harder to win, you don't get that very often and finishing no. 1 after 82 games... no mean feat, if you ask me, so a banner is well deserved IMO. The no. 1 spot in the conference however (that is without the President's Trophy) I don't think people really care about that much and I find those banners ridiculous.

Wow, I didn't know it looked that bad until I saw it. The idea is pretty bad, too. I mean, if you want your player's name in the rafters, you put his jersey up. This... I mean, what are you even going to tell the fans when you put up a ceremony for those guys? Yeah, we're raising a banner for the guy. Yes, we're putting his name up there. No, we're not putting his number up there. We're not retiring his number either. No, we don't know why we're doing this, really.

The only special kind of banner I would like the Devils to raise is a mic banner for Doc. The guy is an icon.

I wouldn't mind the Devils raising a banner to acknowledge members of their team being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and the year. I also know that Detroit and Boston raise banners to college hockey champions that stay-up all year as well. Boston has the Hockey East and Beanpot banners. Detroit has the CCHA and Great Lakes Invitational banners.