If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer...

Jerzey

51 members have voted

1. 1. If Schneider will not sign an extension this summer Lou should...

• Trade him immediately
    • Continue to try to sign him until he's a UFA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think giving him an 8 year deal is the best decision. If I was he, I don't know that I would want that deal with this team anyway.  I think he waits to fa no matter what at this point.  He's going to get good money no matter where he plays.  He's going to decide where he wants to make his money.

I don't think giving him an 8 year deal is the best decision. If I was he, I don't know that I would want that deal with this team anyway.  I think he waits to fa no matter what at this point.  He's going to get good money no matter where he plays.  He's going to decide where he wants to make his money.

If he was willing to sign this summer I would give him something like 7 years/$45 mill

If I had to go to 8/$50 I would

The eighth year is literally the only advantage we'd have, why not use it? It's not as if Cory would be 40 at the end of the deal, it also makes it even more obvious if he won't sign that Lou has to cash out.

I wonder what kind of return we could get on him    A.  Over the summer   B.  Early Season next year   C. Trade Deadline

Preferably, I would give it until the trading deadline, but that can blow up too, especially when the other team knows anything they give you is kind of a bonus when it's pretty obvious they player they covet isn't staying with you.     

I agree with others, it's really going to be rough if he leaves UFA for nothing, especially if the Devils don't enjoy some kind if 2012 Cup run next season.    

I don't think teams should trade starting goalies mid-season because it's too big of a transition and it takes too long to get everyone on the same page. For that reason the optimal time to trade Cory if he were to say no to a contract extension would be during the offseason so that whoever gets him has the benefit of a full season with him and so that we can straighten out our own situation before training camp.

Unless he hates it here, this is my "weakest" worry. I think he will sign the extension. 

If the guy doesn't want to stay and declines the offer, I quietly shop him around right away, but he'd absolutely need to be traded. 

He's worth a 1st round pick and maybe a little something extra for someone drafting in the 20s range.  One year left and then he can go wherever?  

Yeah, I think you have to go 8/50.  He's the real thing, clearly.  And while he's lost a ton of heartbreaking games, he's got to be able to see that the team isn't half bad.

I think he waits to fa no matter what at this point.  He's going to get good money no matter where he plays.  He's going to decide where he wants to make his money.

I get that side of the argument. But you wonder, does he hurt his value if the Devils have another really bad season? Or he suffers an injury? We don't get to say this too often, but he might get the most money in New Jersey (when you consider many other teams' goaltending OR financial/cap situations)...

Other teams can't give him 8, they can only go to 7.

Wow, didn't know that! So yeah, I revise my statement: we need to give the 8. He'll only be 35/36 at the end of it. We're not talking about Lundqvist's 8 year that takes him to 39/his 40s here. Lou acquired a great goalie at the perfect time at the perfect age to set up a perfectly timed deal through his prime years.

I like Schneider and I hope he stays, but we have to WIN for him to encourage him to sign.

The problem is what if we miss the playoffs again/have another bad season? Then Cory will still walk and we will get nothing in return for him. With all of the top end players who have walked as UFAs recently we just can't afford to lose another for nothing. Can't keep gambling on our UFA's re-signing especially since we've been losing that bet lately.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

If allow another major asset to walk away without at least trying to get a good return then I am going to burst a blood vessel.  LL has been doing this for years.  When the cupboard was full this was an acceptable strategy since winning now was far more important that trying to get some small return here or there.  However, as it exists right now the Devils are only a so-so team, we are not flush with picks (we're luck to even have a 30th this year), and our org is among the most threadbare in the NHL.  We simply cannot continue to operate in the LL-business-as-usual approach.  We must begin to accumulate talent again!

Edited by AEWHistory

I don't see why "August" has to be the deadline. We have him, guaranteed, this coming season. Zajac signed his new contract in January, so there's no need to be so hurried. A trade offer in August is not going to differ much from the deadline and its possible a deadline offer could be even sweeter if from a team on the cusp that need a tender and overpay. If he's not extended by the start of this coming season I won't bat an eye. If we go into next offseason without him re-signed and have to deal with the Parise/Kovalchuk ridiculousness, then heads need to roll (Lou).

Anyone expecting a massive return for a guy with only 1 year remaining and no guarantee of signing at his new home is kidding themselves.

Edited by ghdi

Thing is if you do trade him(hopefully he signs on) we need a #1 and sorry but MB30 ain't gonna get it done.

If you trade him, you are trying to lose.  Therefore, you sign back MB30 in an instant.  

You can't wait until August to trade a goalie, who is going to want a goalie then?  You have to talk to his agent in June and if the agent says no we're not amenable to making a deal, you deal him at the draft (preferably for a 2015 1st), you sign Brodeur, you don't sign Jagr or Zidlicky or Fayne, and you let the team lose hard, because they will, and hopefully you end up with a top 5 pick out of it.

Edited by Triumph

I don't see why "August" has to be the deadline. We have him, guaranteed, this coming season. Zajac signed his new contract in January, so there's no need to be so hurried. A trade offer in August is not going to differ much from the deadline and its possible a deadline offer could be even sweeter if from a team on the cusp that need a tender and overpay. If he's not extended by the start of this coming season I won't bat an eye. If we go into next offseason without him re-signed and have to deal with the Parise/Kovalchuk ridiculousness, then heads need to roll (Lou).

Anyone expecting a massive return for a guy with only 1 year remaining and no guarantee of signing at his new home is kidding themselves.

Zajac's contract was pretty much finalized during the summer and was just waiting on the lockout to end to be announced. If it hadn't been for the lockout causing both sides to wait a minute, they'd have had it done mid-August. Lou doesn't generally do contracts mid-season with the only exceptions being guys who he's had such close dealings with for so long as to make the contract more or less academic.

As far as why August, it's because you need the time to do two things: get the best possible value (as you get closer to training camp you're looking at lousier pickings for trade returns because more partners have finalized their situations) and to take care of your own situation assuming that part of the return for him isn't the goalie you're needing. As far as getting a massive return, if we could get something even remotely similar to a deal similar to what Miller brought Buffalo I'd be positively thrilled and that was with him getting traded at the worst possible time (from my perspective given that I consider goalies entering new teams at that point in the year a dangerous proposition to a playoff bound team) without the benefit of his age, and without the benefit of a full season from him. Obviously I don't necessarily think we'd get that kind of return, but I also don't want to wait and see what the market's like for goalies in March of next season and be in the position of weighing two months of Schneider vs no return at all if he leaves.