30 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

None, look around the league....the offenses are MILES ahead of the defenses this year, it's almost painful to watch, you step on the field now and damn near throw for 300 yards in the NFL...it's like that season in the NHL where it was illegal to play defense in the slot and Gionta and Cheechoo became 45 goal scorers :P

Not to mention sCam turned it over 4 times, is 0-2 and when he had to make a play on the AWFUL Arizona defense in Week 1....he DIDN'T!

Funny, that same comparison (2011 NFL/2005 NHL) popped into my mind. Numbers are bloated right now, no question. Will they come back down once defenses settle in?

When you look at passer ratings and overall numbers from the 70s, they almost seem like a joke compared to the numbers put up now. Of course, the big rule change of 1978 was the first big one to help out QB numbers. For those who aren't familiar with it: prior to 78, CBs could check receivers all the way down the field, rather than the first 5 yards. There must have been some ugly football back then...hell, it was extremely common for good QBs to retire with more INTs and TDs, and completion %s not much better than 50. This is why I don't like cross-era comparisons...Brady may be the best of his generation, but I wouldn't know how to compare him to guys like Johnny Unitas, who pretty much played an entirely different game.

Even though the QB numbers immediately improved with that rule change, what's going on now is off-the-charts.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

CR, I don't see a way FOR the defenses to catch up this year....yeah they will have practices and ways to work on timing and film but the biggest thing is in the new CBA, they all but removed PRACTICING IN PADS, and you can't play football in pads without PRACTICING football in pads, and that's a big reason I think this offensive orgy is gonna go on all year long and a lot of records are gonna be smashed by this......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

CR, I don't see a way FOR the defenses to catch up this year....yeah they will have practices and ways to work on timing and film but the biggest thing is in the new CBA, they all but removed PRACTICING IN PADS, and you can't play football in pads without PRACTICING football in pads, and that's a big reason I think this offensive orgy is gonna go on all year long and a lot of records are gonna be smashed by this......

I can't say I like that. I don't want to overreact to two weeks of football, but if the number-bloating continues, it will be sad for those who didn't get to see guys like Joe Montana look at his stats and say, "Was he really that good?"
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,955 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

If offense is crazy this year, maybe we should give some praise to the teams who have been excellent defensively.... like Crasher's favorite... the Houston TEXANS!! :D
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#25 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Cam Newton has done what no rookie has ever done.. I dont know who, in their right mind, wouldn't give him a little respect. The guy hasnt played in an NFL game and stepped right up and led his team. The only problem is that he's 0-2- which is a flaw sure, but the guy is young and you have to at least see something with a rookie throwing as many yards as he has in his first two games

This. I'm not fully on the Newton hypewagon, but he's been impressive thus far. I mean, yes he is 0-2, but he's playing on a team that was the WORST in the league last year and not many additions were made. The defense has been giving up a ton of points so the fault him for not leading them to even more points is unfair. No rookie has ever passed for that many yards and now he's done it twice. Only 7 guys have ever had back-to-back 400+ yard passing games and Cam Newton is one of them. He may fall off (likely), but he still deserves credit for what he has done so far. I think the most impressive part of it has been that he's doing all this after an offseason where he didn't really get to workout and play with the team until way late. Look how many rookies have the whole offseason to learn the offense and whatnot and DON'T do this and now he's come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. I have a lot of respect for what he's done and I think it'll be interesting what the Panthers can do in a few years once they start building the team around him.

believe-devs.jpg

#26 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

I can't say I like that. I don't want to overreact to two weeks of football, but if the number-bloating continues, it will be sad for those who didn't get to see guys like Joe Montana look at his stats and say, "Was he really that good?"

I don't either, but the old staples....3000 yards and 30 TDs that were "good years".....right out the window anyway, and they were before this season...now you're an average QB if you throw 3000 and have mid 20-s in TDs, people that go back and look at stats alone gotta factor in not only the era, but the style of rules back then and also, a guy who was 6'2'' and 275 was an OT then...now he's barely a fullback, or holy hell an OLB :blink:

If offense is crazy this year, maybe we should give some praise to the teams who have been excellent defensively.... like Crasher's favorite... the Houston TEXANS!! :D

Give the Houston Texans 17 weeks and they will FIND a way to wrinkle, fold and FAIL.....Jacksonville changed QBs...maybe they will be my light to cash in on the annual Texcian collapse :P

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Where is week three's predictions??
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,955 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Where is week three's predictions??

Probably too much NHL 12 for CRASHER once again.... :P
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#29 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Half way done, dude had to work and get his exercise in :P

(Most likely not till I get home from the Devils game)

It's still 18 hours sooner then last week :lol:

#30 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

I got about 2/3rds the way through and I feel I'm rushing it....and I won't put out crap when I can write it out PROPERLY tonight....so sorry...it's gotta wait till AFTER the Devils game with a bit of a re-write to it......

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

I would just be wasting my time going into detail, but Crasher is so out to lunch on his Newton opinion, it's pretty sad.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users