Who would take back Clarkson (at a discounted rate)?

Neb00rs

I've been interested, seeing as how Clarkson is nonexistent on Toronto, in gauging the amount of people here who would be interested in taking back Clarkson in a trade (sometime in the future) if the Maple Leafs were willing to burden a share of the contract, and if yes, how much you would want them to retain?

Hell fvcking no. It's all down hill for him at this point.

I wouldn't want him at even half of his current contract. I'd take freaking Gionta over him - hopefully that emphasizes just how glad I am the Devils aren't stuck with Clarkson long term.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If they took on at least half of that horrifically high contract, sure I would. Hard worker, 30 goal scorer. Sounds good. This season he's been a disaster, but he did protect the goalie's water bottle.

Not to mention, who else do we have?

Edited by mfitz804

If they took on at least half of that horrifically high contract, sure I would. Hard worker, 30 goal scorer. Sounds good. This season he's been a disaster, but he did protect the goalie's water bottle.

Not to mention, who else do we have?

You mean, 15 goal scorer.

That 30 goal season was the definition of a fluke, to expect him to do it again is just wishful thinking.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of taking someone for the sake of taking someone and, to me, that's what Clarkson is. This team has its share of hard working grinders. It needs better skaters, and more creative players who can make their linemates better and create their own shots. Good as Clarkson can be at those nasty deflections around the net, he doesn't actually generate offense, and his skating is ... special. I loved him when he was here, at the right price, I'd have resigned him, but we have Clowe, CBGB, and Ruutu, who kind of do what Clarkson does. Maybe not as well, but at best, we'd trade one of them for him, and move sideways, at worst, he'd be taking up a roster spot that could (someday, when/if we sign/draft him) go to a real skill player. I don't buy that the team isn't playing hard. They're playing badly, but that's because they're not very good, and Clarkson couldn't fix that problem when he was here last year.

That 30 goal season was the definition of a fluke, to expect him to do it again is just wishful thinking.

Not saying I endorse retaking him but let's be clear: that 15 goals came in a half-season i.e. 30 goals or around that.

It is time for this franchise to move forward, not try to get a discount on Clarkson and hope he can recapture past fluky glory of 2012. Im tired of Lou's reacquisitions and grabbing Clarkson to try and throw yet another patch on this team based on what he used to be might be the final straw for me.

lol there's no way you're getting a discount on Clarkson until he's too old to even be the good version of Clarktard.  Especially since his contract is more or less buyout proof with all the signing bonuses written in.

Besides as the above post said, missing him ain't exactly what ails this team.  

Clarkson's time here was over, he'll never have half a season as good as his 2012 again.

In bizarro world where Clarkson gets amnestied this off season (he literally can't be), I'd take him back at something like 3yr/9M

That's still an overpay for what he is at this point. He's a veteran minimum guy going forward.Clarkson may very well get Nonis fired next season.

He scored 30 in a full season, then scored 15 in a half season. You do the math.

The way our offense has been, you wouldn't want an extra 15-30 goals?

He scored 30 in a full season, then scored 15 in a half season. You do the math.

The way our offense has been, you wouldn't want an extra 15-30 goals?

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared.  By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer.  At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that.  We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared. By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer. At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that. We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Exactly what I was going to counter with. He got ridiculously hot for a while after the lookout ended then disappeared for the rest of the year (especially when the team needed him to score down the stretch).

I think Clarkson's a great person, he did a lot of great off-ice stuff for the fans and charities. But he's not the kind of player the Devils need going forward.

He scored almost all those 15 goals in the first half half of a half season, then disappeared.  By your logic then he is really a 60 goal scorer.  At most I would expect him to score 10-15 goals a season and we have plenty of guys who do that.  We need consistent 30+ goal scorers.

Your math is off. He scored 15 goals in half a season. If he scored them in the first half of the half season, and not in the second, its still 15, not 30. I'm not saying he is a 60 goal scorer, that makes no sense. 

So he scored too many goals too fast and not enough later? That doesn't make sense either. If statistics can be used for anything, its as an average. In his last two years as a Devil,, he averaged nearly 30 goals per full season, or 15 per half season, or however you want to call it. What are you basing your estimation of his goal total on, just your opinion combined with the crappy year he has had?

You don't think an extra 15 goals early in the season, especially some of those one goal losses, wouldn't have helped? 

Besides, have you watched the last 3 games? I'd take an inconsistent 30 goal scorer right now.

Edited by mfitz804

And lets not forget, his 30 in 2011-12 were 3rd on the team behind Kovalchuk (37) and Parise (31). His 15 in 2012-13 made him number one on the team. 

Seeing as we don't have another 30 goal scorer, I see no basis for not taking him back IF they ate some of the contract as proposed. 

And lets not forget, his 30 in 2011-12 were 3rd on the team behind Kovalchuk (37) and Parise (31). His 15 in 2012-13 made him number one on the team. 

Seeing as we don't have another 30 goal scorer, I see no basis for not taking him back IF they ate some of the contract as proposed. 

I didn't forget, you you seem to forgot his 12, 11, and 17 goals in his previous 3 seasons and 4 goals this season.

He is not a 30-goal scorer, let alone a 20-goal scorer, expect for that one fluke season in 11-12.  He will continue to be on average a 10-15 goal-scorer.