Training Camp invites

caron14

No one has a 30 goal scorer on each of their top 3 lines.  It's insane to think that you can compose a team that way.  21 players scored 30 goals in 2013-14.  No team had 3 30 goal scorers.

the lines changed a lot obviously but for a part of the season Kovy was on the first line, zach was on the 2nd and Clarkson on the 3rd. 30 - 30 - 30

and the guys you named are scoring garbage goals once in awhile but they are not on par with zach on that end. They almost all have a better shot than he has but he was a garbage goals superstar

Edited by SterioDesign

the lines changed a lot obviously but for a part of the season Kovy was on the first line, zach was on the 2nd and Clarkson on the 3rd. 30 - 30 - 30

and the guys you named are scoring garbage goals once in awhile but they are not on par with zach on that end. They almost all have a better shot than he has but he was a garbage goals superstar

Clarkson was an absolute fluke that year. He'll be lucky if he ever scores 20 again let alone 30 and hell he didn't even score 10 last year.

Clarkson was an absolute fluke that year. He'll be lucky if he ever scores 20 again let alone 30 and hell he didn't even score 10 last year.

of course, we all know that. hated the guy

hopefully Schneider will continue be solid for us but we need to score more goals for the poor guy

Edited by SterioDesign

Also from what I remember Zach played most of 11-12 with Kovy on his line with Henrique at center (due to Zajac missing most of the season to injury).

Re:  Clarkson...yikes.  His last 94 GP:  10 G, 9 A, -24.  Guess there won't be any more "HE'S COMING" posters anytime soon...

Also from what I remember Zach played most of 11-12 with Kovy on his line with Henrique at center (due to Zajac missing most of the season to injury).

the team i have in mind when i think of that season is the team we had heading in the playoffs with an actual productive 4th line and Zajac healthy

the team i have in mind when i think of that season is the team we had heading in the playoffs with an actual productive 4th line and Zajac healthy

We have had that same exact 4th line for 2 more years and I would hardly call them productive anymore.  We lost Sykora who hasn't exactly had other GM's knocking down his door to get him after 11-12.  We also lost Clarkson who might not even hit 20 goals ever again as said before in a previous post.  Also we basically replaced Kovy and Parise's production with other players for contracts that are not nearly as absurd.

Really that 11-12 playoff team was a fluke, as is most cup finalist teams lately.

We have had that same exact 4th line for 2 more years and I would hardly call them productive anymore.  We lost Sykora who hasn't exactly had other GM's knocking down his door to get him after 11-12.  We also lost Clarkson who might not even hit 20 goals ever again as said before in a previous post.  Also we basically replaced Kovy and Parise's production with other players for contracts that are not nearly as absurd.

Really that 11-12 playoff team was a fluke, as is most cup finalist teams lately.

exactly well thats kind of the point and shows how important goals are. a 10 goals difference from one season to another can have a HUGE impact, 10 more goals can be 10 more points in the standings easily. Of course that's not black on white. You can win a bunch of game by 3-4 goals and lose 20 games by 1 goal and it doesnt really add up if you only look at numbers but the devils are in need of timely goals. We use to win sooooo many close games, now we're losing those close games cause we can put the damn puck in the net.

It's really like the hockey gods are trolling us though, our goalies could stand on their head all game and we'd lose by a goal or we'd score 3-4 goals and our goalies would let in 5... this happened ALL YEAR. 

Basically it's not as much about numbers cause different situations can throw off stats. But we need guys who will raise their game and score goals when we need it the most. Jagr has been phenomenal last year for that. Henrique has it in him too. 

exactly well thats kind of the point and shows how important goals are. a 10 goals difference from one season to another can have a HUGE impact, 10 more goals can be 10 more points in the standings easily. Of course that's not black on white. You can win a bunch of game by 3-4 goals and lose 20 games by 1 goal and it doesnt really add up if you only look at numbers but the devils are in need of timely goals. We use to win sooooo many close games, now we're losing those close games cause we can put the damn puck in the net.

It's really like the hockey gods are trolling us though, our goalies could stand on their head all game and we'd lose by a goal or we'd score 3-4 goals and our goalies would let in 5... this happened ALL YEAR. 

Basically it's not as much about numbers cause different situations can throw off stats. But we need guys who will raise their game and score goals when we need it the most. Jagr has been phenomenal last year for that. Henrique has it in him too. 

Obviously more goals usually mean more victories, but you are also not taking into account last year we didnt win a single shootout in 13 tries.  If they would have won half of those games, the Devils would be in the playoffs last year.  You are not taking into account that half the games were played with a goalie who wasn't cutting it and that cost us a few games too.

Gomer / Kaberle coming to try out can't be a bad thing.  Friendly/stern competition in training camp can help motivate those who realistically have a chance to make the team, but feel the pressure behind them to perform well.

I can see those guys helping to fire up the scrimmages and exhibition games a bit so that there are some pleasantly difficult selections to make by DeBoer and company at the final cuts...

Also, Kaberle possibly trying out makes for a good diversion from all the Gelinas talks.  I don't think Gelli has re-signed, and so, maybe this puts some fire under his ass a bit.

Zid - Kab

Jagr - Elias - Havlat

Team CZ circa 1996. lol

What? No. You don't remember the Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk line that was in tact for 60 games?

Obviously more goals usually mean more victories, but you are also not taking into account last year we didnt win a single shootout in 13 tries.  If they would have won half of those games, the Devils would be in the playoffs last year.  You are not taking into account that half the games were played with a goalie who wasn't cutting it and that cost us a few games too.

lol not sure why you'd say that i dont take this in consideration cause i referred to the shootouts earlier. and have you read the post you quoted at least? i said our goalies could let in 4-5 goals when we'd finally score a few goals.

What? No. You don't remember the Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk line that was in tact for 60 games?

sigh... I said the structure of our team with everyone healthy was what i was referring too and when we went into the playoffs cause all along we were talking about the depth and our scoring depth. And the part of the season with them on the same line was because Zajac was out. 

is it true or not that that year (fluke included) that once everyone was healthy and the lines set that we had Kovy on the first, zach on the 2nd and Clarkson on the 3rd? guys that other teams had to mark up. Plus of course you have Elias and other guys that you can't leave by himself either.

Why are you guy fvcking cherry picking on only part of what im saying anyway. Of course if you pick one part ignoring the big picture of what i meant that its not gonna make sense.

lol not sure why you'd say that i dont take this in consideration cause i referred to the shootouts earlier. and have you read the post you quoted at least? i said our goalies could let in 4-5 goals when we'd finally score a few goals.

I saw that but then in your subsequent posts you pretty much disregard that point and go on and on about "missing production" without again reminding yourself of how a lot of things went against the Devils last year to help them miss the playoffs.

I saw that but then in your subsequent posts you pretty much disregard that point and go on and on about "missing production" without again reminding yourself of how a lot of things went against the Devils last year to help them miss the playoffs.

By "missing production"  its not just about numbers (cause like i said, situations can throw off any numbers) it's about what they brought / how clutch they could be / what they can do in certain situations. You need a goal you look up to those guys, you expected those guys to be able to raise their game at the right time. They could do stuff that others couldnt do, or at least not on a regular basis lol

and to your point, a lot of things went our way that year that we went to the cup finals. Which again shows that you HAVE to bury your chances and make the big plays when you can. Gotta grab your opportunities. Again hard to deny that our guys that we have are missing of that other than Henrique and Jagr, even Elias has lost his touch. Some of his SO attempts were beyond sad.

anyways, this is going nowhere. Let's call it a day

Edited by SterioDesign

sigh... I said the structure of our team with everyone healthy was what i was referring too and when we went into the playoffs cause all along we were talking about the depth and our scoring depth. And the part of the season with them on the same line was because Zajac was out. 

is it true or not that that year (fluke included) that once everyone was healthy and the lines set that we had Kovy on the first, zach on the 2nd and Clarkson on the 3rd? guys that other teams had to mark up. Plus of course you have Elias and other guys that you can't leave by himself either.

Why are you guy fvcking cherry picking on only part of what im saying anyway. Of course if you pick one part ignoring the big picture of what i meant that its not gonna make sense.

What are you talking about?  Kovalchuk and Parise played together in the playoffs too, most of the time.  Henrique was moved down to play with Clarkson and Ponikarovsky, Parise and Kovalchuk played with Zajac.

I have to agree with Tri here regarding his point about how this current squad is better structured than 2011-2012. That team was garbage for the first couple months barely hovering around a playoff spot. We were throwing the likes of Palmieri and Josefson on the first line with Kovalchuk and we had Tedenby Boulton and Janssen in the bottom six. No Zajac as well, if it weren't for the successful shootout it would have been the same result of last season. In my eyes Jagr almost replaces Parise's production and Cammalleri replaces Kovalchuk. Those are out two studs on offense now. If the offense can remain healthy the team should do just fine and make the postseason.

By "missing production"  its not just about numbers (cause like i said, situations can throw off any numbers) it's about what they brought / how clutch they could be / what they can do in certain situations. You need a goal you look up to those guys, you expected those guys to be able to raise their game at the right time. They could do stuff that others couldnt do, or at least not on a regular basis lol

and to your point, a lot of things went our way that year that we went to the cup finals. Which again shows that you HAVE to bury your chances and make the big plays when you can. Gotta grab your opportunities. Again hard to deny that our guys that we have are missing of that other than Henrique and Jagr, even Elias has lost his touch. Some of his SO attempts were beyond sad.

anyways, this is going nowhere. Let's call it a day

It IS about numbers. Teams regress to the mean. 2012 was a good fluke. Losing Parise hurt, but that team was supposed to get worse and did. Last year was a bad fluke. We should get better this year. Throw in some good patches by Lou, and we have a good shot at the playoffs, which are a crapshoot in the east anyway.

my take. 

Gomez is a lil insurance, kick in the as for JJ.  Every time Josefson gets going he gets hurt.  I like his game.  Can trust him in his own end, good on the pk.  Shows flashes but not consistency on the offensive side.  Jay Pandolfo made a career here doing that.  

Gomez knows whats expected of him defensively if he plays here.  I'm sure the upgrade the 2nd pp unit alone would improve this team enough to make it worth the chance.  Of course assuming he still has the skill.  Knowing going in what is expected of him and what role he would play should help him stay focused.  

Low risk, (I won't say high) some reward.  If you are worried about the young guys not getting a shot.  If you can't beat out players on camp tryouts, you aren't ready.  Make them keep you like Sykora made the team keep him.  Hell, Jansen got a couple months by scoring 2 goals in a call up.  You play your role, you are dependable in your own end, you get playing time on this team.  Been like that for a while. 

You are all acting like these players made the team already.  They're being invited to camp, by no means will they be on the roster opening night.  Kaberle might make the team and be that 8th D and insurance player.  He might take that veteran role in case of injury.  I don't think Gomez is any better than Bernier, Carter, Jajo, Boucher, or even Matteau

I will never not hate Scott Gomez. His is still the only jersey I have, and I will never take the tape off the nameplate. I will boo him if he wins the Hart in a Devils sweater this season.

Yup, pretty much for me too...and the only thing more annoying than Rolston's winkie was hearing Gomez start every interview with 'Hey'

(Gomez, 27, is excited to get the chance to show what he can do under the spotlight at Madison Square Garden after seven seasons in New Jersey.

"Hey, it's New York City. It's the greatest stage in sport," he said. "It's the pressure of New York. It was time to move on to a new chapter.")

alg-rangers-jpg.jpg

Edited by devlman