Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Oops, my bad on the name.

Even I got it wrong ... it's Stadium Sports Bar & CAFE, not Grill. Whoops.

Anyway, here are some pics of the outside.

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

And some pics around Championship Plaza.

DSC01133.jpg

The logo and fan bricks coming along. Notice how the building in the background on the left has been refinished with fresh brick face but the one on the right hasn't. Anyone know why?

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

It looks a LOT cooler in person than it does in pics.

DSC01138.jpg

I thought this was funny.

I also went into the Brick City Coffee Company. I fully intended to get a coffee too, but was talked into the frozen hot chocolate by the people working there. Not gonna lie, it was pretty awesome.

Your pics are first ones I've seen that come close to showcasing how cool Steely Dano is in person. Well done.

I plan on hitting the coffee shop in the parking garage tomorrow...meant to the other day but thought I was running late to class. If the frozen hot chocolate is half as good as the frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity III in NYC, I will be spending alot of cash in the Brick City Coffee Co.

I've also been told that the chinese place at the end of the parking lot (across the street from Arena Bar) is an excellent place. You can't miss it heading towards the arena on Lafayette, it's literally one of two buildings sitting at the end of the parking lot before you hit the Rock, it looks like it was supposed to be torn down but never was or something. Haven't been there yet, but I was told it's stellar, and will try to get there one of these days.

I've also been told that the chinese place at the end of the parking lot (across the street from Arena Bar) is an excellent place.

Really? It looks like a craphole....but I kind of have a theory that if places look like a craphole but are successful then they either have great food or are a drug front....could go either way in Newark. I'll probably check it out sometime now.

Thanks a lot, Dano for thinking of us and putting up pictures. I too am glad there is a real sports bar near the arena. How is the area between there and the arena? I haven't been down that way since they were building the arena. Did you notice any other re-habs going on down there? Statue and plaza look great. My guess is that the Devils had a deadline of when those buildings had to begin their rehabs and the building on the right believed that they could start before the deadline while the one on the left won't be starting until January so they bricked it up temperarily. That's just an optimistic guess but I really don't know. How did the inside of the coffee shop look? Can't wait to see it.

I wish I could remember exactly what it was, but it seemed like part of the Newark City Hall complex was right across the street from Stadium. I remember the signs on the other side of the street said "Parking for U.S. Marshalls Only" or something like that. The whole area is pretty nice, but I didn't really have an eye out for other rehabs in the works. Sorry. If it helps, Arena Lounge is pretty much halfway between Stadium and the Rock down Mulberry.

The inside of the coffee shop pretty much looked like any other coffee shop ... but newer. It was nice. The workers were really friendly too.

I wish I could remember exactly what it was, but it seemed like part of the Newark City Hall complex was right across the street from Stadium. I remember the signs on the other side of the street said "Parking for U.S. Marshalls Only" or something like that. The whole area is pretty nice, but I didn't really have an eye out for other rehabs in the works. Sorry. If it helps, Arena Lounge is pretty much halfway between Stadium and the Rock down Mulberry.

The inside of the coffee shop pretty much looked like any other coffee shop ... but newer. It was nice. The workers were really friendly too.

1. I've got a post on Glocally coming out either later today or sometime over the weekend (editor's choice) about Stadium Sports Bar. A handful of pics, too. It's across from the courthouse on Mulberry, with a handful of parking lots surrounding it, used mostly for jury duty and immigration services. The area isn't bad, but like most Newark, there simply isn't much to look at. There's a so-so BBQ place (Arena Chicken, I think) and a small cafe that apparently serves nothing (I saw their meat case, which had a solitary log of Taylor ham, and that's it) on the way, as well as the club QXT.

One of Stadium's signs says it's "Bar & Grill" and the other reads "Bar and Cafe," so take your pic. The food isn't bad, and like others have said, it is definitely the only TRUE sports bar in the area, about 3 blocks or so from the Rock.

2. That sketchy Chinese place is supposedly amazing, but like others, I'm definitely scared sh!tless to go into a condemned building to eat. But I'll suck it up and report my findings. That's what I'm here for.

3. Someone mentioned the re-bricking of the left wall at Champ Plaza. For the record, those aren't actual bricks. It's just a brick pattern paneling nailed into wooden slats affixed to the original brick wall underneath. It's a nice, cheap solution to make the building more presentable. My impression is that it is a temporary fix until someone comes along and gives the building a proper refurbishing.

1. I've got a post on Glocally coming out either later today or sometime over the weekend (editor's choice) about Stadium Sports Bar. A handful of pics, too. It's across from the courthouse on Mulberry, with a handful of parking lots surrounding it, used mostly for jury duty and immigration services. The area isn't bad, but like most Newark, there simply isn't much to look at. There's a so-so BBQ place (Arena Chicken, I think) and a small cafe that apparently serves nothing (I saw their meat case, which had a solitary log of Taylor ham, and that's it) on the way, as well as the club QXT.

One of Stadium's signs says it's "Bar & Grill" and the other reads "Bar and Cafe," so take your pic. The food isn't bad, and like others have said, it is definitely the only TRUE sports bar in the area, about 3 blocks or so from the Rock.

I saw another small bar on Mulberry between Arena Lounge and Stadium Bar, but can't remember what it was called. The place looked to be locked up pretty tight and had this sign in the window. I'm guessing they aren't open anymore?

DSC01125-1.jpg

2. That sketchy Chinese place is supposedly amazing, but like others, I'm definitely scared sh!tless to go into a condemned building to eat. But I'll suck it up and report my findings. That's what I'm here for.

haha That place looks like it survived a nuclear attack ... barely.

3. Someone mentioned the re-bricking of the left wall at Champ Plaza. For the record, those aren't actual bricks. It's just a brick pattern paneling nailed into wooden slats affixed to the original brick wall underneath. It's a nice, cheap solution to make the building more presentable. My impression is that it is a temporary fix until someone comes along and gives the building a proper refurbishing.

Ah, OK. That's pretty smart then. I kinda hope they do something similar to the building on the right. Championship Plaza looks like it's gonna be impressive, but it would suck to have that eyesore as half its backdrop.

Anyone know if this Stadium Bar has satellite TV? Center Ice? NFL Ticket? Any of that stuff? I guess what I really want to know is: Is it a good place to watch a game?

Ah damn, I knew there was something I forgot to ask. Mike, the co-owner, said they had a few people come last Sunday to watch football, but it was probably the local games you could get with cable.

Yeah see I said the statue looks a lot better in person and I'm happy DiG confirmed it.. The granite Devils emblem looks like it will be fantastic, and I'm excited to see the Rock of Gibraltar..

All in all I think Newark is becoming a more beautiful place and I really think the Devils deserve a ton of credit..

Also, they just finished a great looking park up Market St. by Veterans Courthouse, so check it out

Really? It looks like a craphole....but I kind of have a theory that if places look like a craphole but are successful then they either have great food or are a drug front....could go either way in Newark. I'll probably check it out sometime now.

I love that quote...I have actually never had their chinese food but the building kind of cracks me up when I pass by.

DIG, never eat at that bar with the sign needing a bartender, if it's still open. I think it's called City Cafe, maybe? One of the worst food experiences ever and all we had ordered were things like burgers and stuff. Beer was fine but ambiance didn't have a sports feel, even with a few other Devils fans in there because it was a Ranger game and the Arena Bar was packed...which was the only reason we tried it as well. We'd rather go nowhere than there in the future.

DIG, never eat at that bar with the sign needing a bartender, if it's still open. I think it's called City Cafe, maybe? One of the worst food experiences ever and all we had ordered were things like burgers and stuff. Beer was fine but ambiance didn't have a sports feel, even with a few other Devils fans in there because it was a Ranger game and the Arena Bar was packed...which was the only reason we tried it as well. We'd rather go nowhere than there in the future.

Is this the small place in between witht he black awnings...I didn't even think they had a liquore license. I guess some stuff has to stink and just be there and some places will do well.

Is this the small place in between witht he black awnings...I didn't even think they had a liquore license. I guess some stuff has to stink and just be there and some places will do well.

It's small, I'm not sure about black awnings. You have to go down stairs to get into the place so it looks a little funny since it's main floor is about 5 feet below sidewalk level.

It's small, I'm not sure about black awnings. You have to go down stairs to get into the place so it looks a little funny since it's main floor is about 5 feet below sidewalk level.

I think your talking about the places that used to have a jamboos or something of that nature upstairs. I am pretty sure it's right in between qxts and Arena bar. That whole area would have been soo much nicer if the residents hadn't fought off the Mullberry st redevelopment and the developers not had been so corrupt.

Yikes, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, City Cafe sounds familiar, I think that was the name of it.

Was out at a function yeserday with some people from BCDC and there are two hotel projects that are moving along for the area surroundign the arena. Also as I understood it "John's Pizza" is looking to be opened by early next year right at the base of the gateway building. All in all the city has put a priority on developing the area around the arena so continue to expect constructino and in fill over the next 5 years.

Was out at a function yeserday with some people from BCDC and there are two hotel projects that are moving along for the area surroundign the arena. Also as I understood it "John's Pizza" is looking to be opened by early next year right at the base of the gateway building. All in all the city has put a priority on developing the area around the arena so continue to expect constructino and in fill over the next 5 years.

Great news! Any more specific details on the hotels? Brands, locations?

John's Pizza is the perfect symbol of the revitalization of Newark. When Gateway was built, it was designed so that no one had to go outside the building, like a fortress, but now with a restaurant opening along the street front, it really shows that times are changing in the Brick City. John's Pizza (if this is the same one) does the mini pizzas in the Pru Center Restaurant and they have a couple locations in NYC and Jersey City. Very Good!

I have said this before and continue to believe it, Hotels are the biggest item for Newark's downtown. The goal is to have a vibrant downtown which means that retail dollars are being spent year round and that businesses thrive. The only way to get from what is currently a commuter zone with very little residential to a 24/7 functional downtown community is hotels. Hotels bring people that use the shops at night and restaurants and allow for a transition to residential populations having the infill that makes it a "entertaining and fun" downtown. If the city has lost focus on one item that is needed it's the need for a convention center to match up with the arena to continue the downtown momentum.

I have said this before and continue to believe it, Hotels are the biggest item for Newark's downtown. The goal is to have a vibrant downtown which means that retail dollars are being spent year round and that businesses thrive. The only way to get from what is currently a commuter zone with very little residential to a 24/7 functional downtown community is hotels. Hotels bring people that use the shops at night and restaurants and allow for a transition to residential populations having the infill that makes it a "entertaining and fun" downtown. If the city has lost focus on one item that is needed it's the need for a convention center to match up with the arena to continue the downtown momentum.

I completely agree. My question is where would you put a convention center?

I was thinking between Hasley and University from Market Street southwards. That could extend the downtown core west and it could have frontage along Market and access to the amenities around the arena. Also another spot, albeit on the small side, where the IDT garage is along RT 21. That would be more centralized and have waterfront access via the proposed park across the highway (like Pittsburgh's convention center. My

third and final location is where the Westinghouse building was the area to the west and southwest of there. The land is more available up there.