Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

Maybe throw Jagr in the deal?

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year.  It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him.  No sense at all.

If we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, you shouldn't trade your best players.  We have a legit shot at making the playoffs.  Never have the assumption that you have no chance at winning the Cup.  It may have been the case 10 years ago.  But it's definitely not the case today.

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year. It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him. No sense at all.

I'm not adverse to trading anyone, but why trade for a rental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, you shouldn't trade your best players. We have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Never have the assumption that you have no chance at winning the Cup. It may have been the case 10 years ago. But it's definitely not the case today.
Its a long shot, at best. Yeah, this team could make some noise, but it's in DESPERATE need of some offensive prospects. If a 1st can be acquired, it's a no brainer in my mind. I'd rather sell now if it means success down the road. Your logic works with players like Parise and Clarkson in previous years, but not with Jagr. He's a rental - if an asset can be acquired he's gotta go imo.
I'm not adverse to trading anyone, but why trade for a rental Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well in my mind I'd hope that Stastny could be convinced to sign here. It'd give the Devils incredible center depth for the foreseeable future. But apparently he's already said he'd like to resign in Colorado, so.. This is all moot. Edited by Devilsfan118

What value does Brodeur add to a team as a backup. If anything it is a distraction. It is a media circus. It makes things uncomfortable for a starting goalie looking over your shoulder and seeing one of the greatest of all time right behind you. Unless you are looking for a starting goalie (which playoff team is looking for that?), there is no point to look at Brodeur. Remember, Marty just wants to play. That's it. Why accept a trade to a situation where you know you are going to sit?

What does Montreal have to do with Clarkson? Price is their goalie and star. Brodeur going there again is an unnecessary distraction. If he was dealt to MTL, he sits on the bench.

Brodeur isn't looking to mentor any goalie. He isn't saying he wants to help a goalie (even if he did, how much help could he be). He just wants to play. I think he knows Cory is a much better goalie than he is at this point, but he is hoping somewhere else that isn't the case with whatever team's starting goalie. Maybe there is a team out there where the margin is small (I am thinking Philly), but is that really going to happen?

If Roy can get Marty cheap or part of a larger package I could see it happening. Remember Patrick left Montreal to go to Colorado, so there could be some salesmanship there by Roy. Marty is an upgrade over Giggy due to his stick handling. The Avs have been struggling at the gate and adding MB30 would be a boost for sure. Also, Varlamov us one bender away from watching the playoffs from behind bars. I could see Patrick offering at least a chance for Marty to start next year, which is what MB30 is looking for.

Offseason possible destination: Islanders.

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year.  It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him.  No sense at all.

Why is Jagr probably gone after this year?  Where is he going?  Who needs him more than NJ does?

Either way, the 'not winning the Cup so trade him' idea is ludicrous - making the playoffs is important.

If Roy can get Marty cheap or part of a larger package I could see it happening. Remember Patrick left Montreal to go to Colorado, so there could be some salesmanship there by Roy. Marty is an upgrade over Giggy due to his stick handling. The Avs have been struggling at the gate and adding MB30 would be a boost for sure. Also, Varlamov us one bender away from watching the playoffs from behind bars. I could see Patrick offering at least a chance for Marty to start next year, which is what MB30 is looking for.

Offseason possible destination: Islanders.

Do people want to watch Brodeur be a backup?  He'd play 6 games.  Also Giguere has a .913 save percentage so far this year - something Brodeur hasn't done in 4 years.  It makes absolutely no sense.

I'd prefer signing Jagr to one more year. He's proved he can still make a big difference in the game. Marty should just retire. The only thing he would bring back in a trade is maybe a third rounder at best. He wouldn't be a starter on any team and he'd be at the very most an attraction to boost ticket sales for a team that is already playoff bound.

Why is Jagr probably gone after this year? Where is he going? Who needs him more than NJ does?

Either way, the 'not winning the Cup so trade him' idea is ludicrous - making the playoffs is important.

Hey, there's no saying he can't resign here during the summer if both parties are interested. But this team needs a pick.. And someone will come knocking. He got a conditional first last year, and he's having a better year this year. Lou would be insane to turn down a 1st round pick with the lack of prospects the Devils have right now.

And I'll agree, but only so far. If the Devils haven't moved up in the standings by the deadline, he's gotta go. Not to sound like SD here, but this team has pissed away so much talent in recent years with the "we're still in the race" mindset.. Enough is enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd trade him to St. Louis.  If I'm a Blues fan, I'd rather have Brodeur as the backup than Elliot.  St. Louis would be a perfect fit for him.  He'd have a great team in front of him, and would have a legit chance at another Cup.

I don't see why St. Louis would want him. Both Halak and Elliot are better than Brodeur at this point. One team that could use him given how bad their goalies are and apparently Dreger mentioned them are the Islanders. Numbers coming into tonight:

Nabokov: 25 GP .905 SV%, 2.85 GAA, -5.41 GSAA

Brodeur: 28 GP .899 SV%, 2.52 GAA, -9.88 GSAA

Poulin: 28 GP .891 SV%, 3.29 GAA, -17.76 GSAA

But I can't imagine him ever getting traded, let alone within the division.

Trading for Statsny or any other rental makes no sense.

As I said before, I doubt he's moved but for discussion purposes, I think it would make sense. Improves this year's team and the Devils can go all in on re-signing him before he hits the open market.

I don't see why St. Louis would want him. Both Halak and Elliot are better than Brodeur at this point. One team that could use him given how bad their goalies are and apparently Dreger mentioned them are the Islanders. Numbers coming into tonight:

Nabokov: 25 GP .905 SV%, 2.85 GAA, -5.41 GSAA

Brodeur: 28 GP .899 SV%, 2.52 GAA, -9.88 GSAA

Poulin: 28 GP .891 SV%, 3.29 GAA, -17.76 GSAA

But I can't imagine him ever getting traded, let alone within the division.

As I said before, I doubt he's moved but for discussion purposes, I think it would make sense. Improves this year's team and the Devils can go all in on re-signing him before he hits the open market.

I think Brodeur just wants to play. He doesn't want to be a traditional backup. He's trying to say the right things (in his own way) about helping the team with a trae bla bla bla, but he just wants to get in games, maybe prove he can play another year in the league. So if he asked Lou to trade him anywhere that would offer him playing time, I think Lou might go for it as a favour to Marty.

But lets be real here. Lou is not asking Brodeur to waive his no trade clause for any reason. Just not happening. So it really is up to Marty to initiate. That probably happens if Cory gets all the games until the break or so.

Why is Jagr probably gone after this year? Where is he going? Who needs him more than NJ does?

Do people want to watch Brodeur be a backup? He'd play 6 games. Also Giguere has a .913 save percentage so far this year - something Brodeur hasn't done in 4 years. It makes absolutely no sense.

It would be more of a hedging of if Varlamov goes down. I bet Roy would rather have Marty as a backup for the playoffs. Giggy has gotten lit up in his recent starts.

And yes, marketing departments use what they have. And like I said Marty wants someone to offer a chance to compete for a starting job, whether it's realistic or not to get it.

No matter what happens, this isn't good for the room, especially during the stretch run here.

Also, trading Jagr for picks is silly. Any trade this team makes needs to revolve around a top 6 finisher. Not sure how Lou makes it happen, but it's gonna involve some difficult decisions if he can find a way.

Its a long shot, at best. Yeah, this team could make some noise, but it's in DESPERATE need of some offensive prospects. If a 1st can be acquired, it's a no brainer in my mind. I'd rather sell now if it means success down the road. Your logic works with players like Parise and Clarkson in previous years, but not with Jagr. He's a rental - if an asset can be acquired he's gotta go imo.

I don't care what our chances are.  We have a shot to make the playoffs.  We need to try and get there.  I also don't think Jagr by himself would land a first.  There are other rentals out there that could.  We'd have to throw in a sweetener.

Would certainly improve the team right now, but there's no reason for him to sign anywhere before testing the market only a few months later. We're not a good enough team to take a chance on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would certainly improve the team right now, but there's no reason for him to sign anywhere before testing the market only a few months later. We're not a good enough team to take a chance on that.

I think most guys would test the market but money talks if the Devils come in with a really high offer before July. Having him before he hits the market does give them some time to sell him on the team's future, the arena, area, etc. I just missed out on his dad's time in NJ, but if it was positive then maybe that would help Lou in re-signing him. Don't know what his dad's relationship with Lou was like.

There is if he is offered an 8 year deal.

We should have lots of money this offseason.  This team's problems are definitely fixable in one offseason.

The thing is who could we sign and would they sign here. 

i'd consider those guys... Stastny, Moulson, Vanek, Hemsky, Callahan, Bolland, Grabovski, Setoguchi, Ott, Legwand, Raymond. But god knows which of those will resign with their current team or sign somewhere else.

Gaborik is a scorer but couldnt play in NJ Deboer would hate him

Gaborik? oy.

Stastny could stay in Colorado but they are stuck with centers up the wazoo. They could keep him for the playoff run or trade him to get some help now.

Stastny and Zajac would solidify us down the middle for the next 5 years.

We are going to make one trade and sign one FA..there's no choice in the matter. We have to. I want Moulson and Stastny, but who wouldn't.

We got money to burn. Paul's dad I believe enjoyed his time here immensely. I hope Lou can work that connection.

Unless we fall into a ditch, I don't see Lou making a deal unless he's offered a first round pick. Teams can call about Jagr, Zidlicky, and others but unless there is a first round pick coming back to us, we aren't taking it.

Gaborik? oy.

Stastny could stay in Colorado but they are stuck with centers up the wazoo. They could keep him for the playoff run or trade him to get some help now.

Stastny and Zajac would solidify us down the middle for the next 5 years.

We are going to make one trade and sign one FA..there's no choice in the matter. We have to. I want Moulson and Stastny, but who wouldn't.

We got money to burn. Paul's dad I believe enjoyed his time here immensely. I hope Lou can work that connection.

Unless we fall into a ditch, I don't see Lou making a deal unless he's offered a first round pick. Teams can call about Jagr, Zidlicky, and others but unless there is a first round pick coming back to us, we aren't taking it.

For those interested, Talking Red interviewed old man Stastny the other year and discussed his son potentially coming here: http://talkingred.com/2013/01/episode-97-the-season-is-underway-and-interview-with-peter-stastny/

I can't remember what he said, I just remember the interview.

Just like he can wait a couple months and someone else can give him 8 years.

Only the player's current team at the time he hits FA can offer him 8 years.  All other teams have a max limit of 7 years on FA deals.

Edit: Sorry, HOI, I didn't see that you already answered this.

Edited by Chuck the Duck