Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

There is a difference between not having speed and not being able to skate and get skated around or through. Jagr has lost his legs. It's abundantly clear over the last few weeks and will only get worse the end of this year. He looked awful in the 3rd against the Preds and even in the Blues game he was flailing and came close to taking a bad penalty.

Our defense is solid as a unit. But it's been designed to be the strength due to our offensive issues.

Again, Jagr is looking no different in his skating than he did 5 years ago.  And your last sentence makes no sense.

Let's move Schneider while he's still got some value. He's just going to coast along the next season and a half and bounce. It's always seemed to me that he hates it here. Imagine what St. Louis would give up for him.

Anyway, I liked Parenteau when he was with the Isles. Also, Erat is having a terrible season with Washington and has requested to be traded twice, they could probably get him for nothing.

Three game swing is easily doable for them to catch up to us. We will fall flat on our face most likely. I have zero faith in this team to get it done and make the playoffs. And if anything the Devils have played like total garbage against teams they should beat. No schedule is every easy. Ever.

haha yeah sure it is.  After all, the Devils have Schneider in net and they have Nabokov.  They'll be selling Vanek for sure now.  Yep, that's a bet I'd make.

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.[/quote

All of what you post is nonsense. Then I guess everybody is still in contention! Even the isles!!!!!!!!!!

Until you factor reality into it.

before they went on a five game losing streak yes I thought they were in it. If we lose our next five games were probably out of it too. But I'll be happy to watch my team these next 2 months while I'm sure you won't watch a game since you already know we're out.

Nobody is saying we're definitely in, but id rather take my chances and see what happens. It's ok to disagree, but to say we're not in contention is just patently false.

I'd be more inclined to sell. I'd keep jagr if his intention is to stay anotehr year or 2 though.

I'd be looking to try get some return for zid/fayne/lokti/Yayo

is honestly have no problem moving any of the guys you mentioned, but preferably not for picks- too much of a crapshoot. But there's a big difference between moving one of these guys and moving your leading scorer.

Playoffs=/ = contention.

There will be alot of people that will say once your in its anyone's to win. I don't think this is a serious cup contender team, and if you believe that to be the case you are probably just being a little biased cuz it is the team you root for.

The most likely scenario if we squeak into the playoffs is that we are 1 and done. 

This team is old, we really need to be selling some stuff. We don't have much in albany that will make a difference here fowards wise. I know people are big on graham black and a few other guys, but that's a ways off and who knows how those guys turn out. I don't want the season to just be over, which selling often means. But I also don't want to suffer every year looking foward. 

We have a really good goalie (hopefully we lock him up), alot of good/promising young defense. Now we need to stock up on some fowards. 

edit. cause i put = instead of not :D

Edited by Sneax

Contention to make the playoffs and contention to win it all are different. I thought the point was to win a cup not to lose in the first round in the playoffs.

We are in playoff contention.  Obviously the goal is to win the Cup, but we're trying to make the playoffs first.  If you have a chance to make the playoffs, you try and make the playoffs.  It really is that simple.

Like I said, I'd rather make the playoffs and lose 10-0 in 4 straight games than to not make the playoffs at all.  We lose nothing if we make the playoffs.

We are in playoff contention.  Obviously the goal is to win the Cup, but we're trying to make the playoffs first.  If you have a chance to make the playoffs, you try and make the playoffs.  It really is that simple.

Like I said, I'd rather make the playoffs and lose 10-0 in 4 straight games than to not make the playoffs at all.  We lose nothing if we make the playoffs.

That's pretty cliche. There are under the radar teams that are really good but not flashy and struggled at points during the year, like the Kings, that go all the way. We aren't a team like that. 

Edited by Sneax

haha yeah sure it is.  After all, the Devils have Schneider in net and they have Nabokov.  They'll be selling Vanek for sure now.  Yep, that's a bet I'd make.

Nabokov is terrible, no question.  But it was more the numbers argument that was being made.  While odds are against the Isles, we aren't that far from being terrible like they are.  It is what it is, but I can't stand this idea we are a good team.  There's no reality in that.  We're a mind-numbing team this year swinging from mediocrity and inconsistency.

Again, Jagr is looking no different in his skating than he did 5 years ago.  And your last sentence makes no sense.

I wasn't aware you were watching him play for Avangard Omsk.  And Jagr is far slower than he was even just two years ago.  He's already running out of gas this year.  His incredible hockey sense is helping him push through, but he's relying more and more on his linemates to drive play.  It's clear as can be.  I'm very worried with him the rest of the way with how Deboer has been riding him.

Last sentence made plenty of sense to anyone who has watched the Devils the last three years.

I wasn't aware you were watching him play for Avangard Omsk.  And Jagr is far slower than he was even just two years ago.  He's already running out of gas this year.  His incredible hockey sense is helping him push through, but he's relying more and more on his linemates to drive play.  It's clear as can be.  I'm very worried with him the rest of the way with how Deboer has been riding him.

Last sentence made plenty of sense to anyone who has watched the Devils the last three years.

Jagr has more shots/game in January than he did in any month previous to this, and it isn't close.  DeBoer is also playing him less than he was in December.

Edited by Triumph

if we make a trade we have to make it for a guy who's either rfa or signed for awhile. We absolutely can't go after a rental who could walk in July. That'd be absolutely dumb to risk at this point.

Depends on the rental and the cost.  If it's an iffy "why not" guy who might surprise and the Devils get Salvador off the team, I'd listen.

Depends on the rental and the cost.  If it's an iffy "why not" guy who might surprise and the Devils get Salvador off the team, I'd listen.

well of course but a "why not" kind of guys are like bottom 6 guys... we have too many guys like that already. Nothing other than a TRUE first line talent could help us now... and non of those are "why not"

BUT like you said, anything that could take Salvador off the team, even if its a forward that we have to eat some salary, im all for it. We CANT start next season with Salvador AND Volch, and if id have to pick id pick Volch

well of course but a "why not" kind of guys are like bottom 6 guys... we have too many guys like that already. Nothing other than a TRUE first line talent could help us now... and non of those are "why not"

BUT like you said, anything that could take Salvador off the team, even if its a forward that we have to eat some salary, im all for it. We CANT start next season with Salvador AND Volch, and if id have to pick id pick Volch

Sometimes it's the not-so-obvious guys that contribute more than you'd think (think a Neal Broten-type...that trade looked completely underwhelming when it was made), and we've seen on-paper deals that make sense on the surface not work out.  I'd have to look up names, but there could be a surprise-type out there.  This mentality is more NBA-like, but if the Devils can trade Salvador for an expiring contract, and the guy coming back might contribute something (even if it's kind of a longshot), I'm in. 

Let's move Schneider while he's still got some value. He's just going to coast along the next season and a half and bounce. It's always seemed to me that he hates it here. Imagine what St. Louis would give up for him.

No. And what makes you say this?     No on is happy splitting time when you are clearly better.     I think in our playoff drive, we won't see Marty much; and I honestly think we won't see him on the Devils next year.    Will he retire?   Meh.   I hope so.

Sometimes it's the not-so-obvious guys that contribute more than you'd think (think a Neal Broten-type...that trade looked completely underwhelming when it was made), and we've seen on-paper deals that make sense on the surface not work out.  I'd have to look up names, but there could be a surprise-type out there.  This mentality is more NBA-like, but if the Devils can trade Salvador for an expiring contract, and the guy coming back might contribute something (even if it's kind of a longshot), I'm in. 

Yes of course, but our goaltending is solid, our defence and PK is solid enough for a run, we are struggling scoring, thats the only thing preventing us from being more than we are we need scorers...  unless we get the "2014 random player coming out of nowhere playing and contributing way above his abilities" well i dont think it would help much or be worth throwing away assets.

Unless its like swapping upcoming UFAsassets like Zids to a team who need a PMD for a top 9 forward kind of deal