Playoff time!! Here are my useless predictions:
AL Wild Card: Braves over Cardinals
- Medlen has been unstoppable since entering the Braves' rotation in late July: 83.2 IP, 0.97 ERA, 8.4 K/BB.
NL Wild Card: Rangers over Orioles
- Darvish was a 5+ WAR pitcher this season; not a shabby debut. Orioles likely starter: Steve Johnson (38 career innings in the Majors) or the incredibly mediocre Joe Saunders. Advantage: Texas.
ALDS: Yankees over Rangers
- Like the Yanks' lineup and 3rd starter more.
ALDS: Tigers over Athletics
- Nice, surprising year for the A's but Detroit has the best pitcher in baseball and one of the best position players in baseball. The supporting cast, especially in the rotation, is really good.
NLDS: Nationals over Braves
- Nats will just get by, but no Strasburg will take it's toll in the next round.
NLDS: Reds over Giants
- You could go either way here. I like the Reds a tad more because of the Melky Cabrera suspension.
ALCS: Yankees over Tigers
- Tempted to pick the Tigers here because I REALLY like their rotation but still going to roll with the superior lineup and Pettitte train.
NLCS: Reds over Nationals
- I wonder what will be going through Strasburg's mind when he watches this series unfold.
World Series: Yankees over Reds
- I have such little confidence in all of these picks this year, frankly. Maybe that's a good thing and we're in for a hell of a postseason. Anyway, to me, the Yanks' run is all dependent on Pettitte. If he pitches well, it's going to be difficult to stop them; he's made 12 starts this season and has looked very good (3.48 FIP, 2.87 xFIP). Sabathia and Kuroda are great, their lineup is still a juggernaut (#1 in wRC+ in baseball), and their bullpen was top 10 in FIP. Tough to go against that.
The Wild Card playoff games kick off tomorrow; Cardinals (Lohse) @ Braves (Medlen) at 5pm ET on TBS followed by Orioles (Johnson or Saunders) @ Rangers (Darvish), 8:30pm ET on TBS. Enjoy the games.
Edited by nmigliore, 04 October 2012 - 09:39 AM.