Speculation - Ken Daneyko replacing Chico as Color Commentator?

Jerzey

This seems pretty obvious at this point but I haven't seen much discussion on it. Chico has already hinted that he's almost done and Ken's been filling in for Chico during the 2nd period for the last couple of games.

So I'm guessing this is Chico's last season and Ken will be our color man next season. I think he's been doing a pretty good job. He needs to learn how to use his IFB so he doesn't cough on the air but he'll get there.

There was an article that came out earlier this season that talked about Chico thinking about retirement and wanting to travel more with his wife

Dano deserves a shot, but from what I've seen and heard he's just not as interesting as Chico

I love daneyko and appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, but the early results are less than stellar. I hope with time/practice he can grow into the role, because he absolutely deserves the first shot at replacing Chico. Unfortunately I just think his voice and timing aren't made for a color guy and that he's much better suited to his studio roles between periods and on HNL, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

On a side note I will really miss Chico (assuming he is pondering retirement) I know a lot of people get on him for his mistakes and homerism, but IMO it's really enjoyable listening to him and his quirkiness. Him and doc were just the perfect team, and I have a feeling a lot of people will only realize how good we had it when he does decide to go.

As an aside, while it's great that the Devils are on WFAN and 101.9 now (which is a long range powerful signal) look at how long we have had to put up with Matt Laughlin who is an ATROCIOUS play by play guy (sounds like he's had no PBP training and he never gets better.

Example of a Laughlin call

Now out to Stamkos...puck is sent in and taken in the corner...now back to the point....WRIST SHOT RIGHT ONNNN AND MARTIN BRODEUR DID NOT SEE IT, IT WENT THROUGH A SCREEN (Devils arena goal scored against us music is audibly playing in the background) AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT MIGHT'VE BEEN DEFLECTED NOT ONCE BUT....TWICE SHERRY. THINK IT WAS ST. LOUIS WITH THE DEFLECTION AND IT'S 2-1 LIGHTNING.

Doesn't even say who passed it to the point. Who took the shot. The goal is scored and he doesn't even say "score". He is a good 10 seconds behind the goal. 

As an aside, while it's great that the Devils are on WFAN and 101.9 now (which is a long range powerful signal) look at how long we have had to put up with Matt Laughlin who is an ATROCIOUS play by play guy (sounds like he's had no PBP training and he never gets better.

Example of a Laughlin call

Now out to Stamkos...puck is sent in and taken in the corner...now back to the point....WRIST SHOT RIGHT ONNNN AND MARTIN BRODEUR DID NOT SEE IT, IT WENT THROUGH A SCREEN (Devils arena goal scored against us music is audibly playing in the background) AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT MIGHT'VE BEEN DEFLECTED NOT ONCE BUT....TWICE SHERRY. THINK IT WAS ST. LOUIS WITH THE DEFLECTION AND IT'S 2-1 LIGHTNING.

Doesn't even say who passed it to the point. Who took the shot. The goal is scored and he doesn't even say "score". He is a good 10 seconds behind the goal. 

I left the game a few mintues early on Tuesday so I was listening to the last 3 minutes or so of the game on WFAN.  Matt is absolutely the worst radio PBP person in the NHL and Sherry Ross is pretty close to that in terms of radio color commentator.  Matt is always behind the play and I cannot count how many times over the past couple years alone I have sat listening in my car screaming at him on the radio to announce the damn score.  Sherry Ross then provides the most bland, uninsightful, and uninformative commentary that you can possibly imagine and somehow that passes as "color." 

Not really a fan of how Deb keeps asking Ryder why he's so streaky in the middle of the game too. It's probably hard enough on him as it is, he doesn't need someone rubbing it in while he's playing. It almost seems like Deb isn't prepared during the intermission and just asks whatever's on her mind.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

We can all nit-pick and critique, but the fact is these jobs are extremely difficult to do well.  Imagine someone critiquing what you say over a 3 hour period while describing something that is unfolding in front of your eyes.

Dano did not seem out of place & didn't give any indication that he was in over his head.  If he does take over, he'll improve as he gets comfortable.

We can all nit-pick and critique, but the fact is these jobs are extremely difficult to do well.  Imagine someone critiquing what you say over a 3 hour period while describing something that is unfolding in front of your eyes.

Dano did not seem out of place & didn't give any indication that he was in over his head.  If he does take over, he'll improve as he gets comfortable.

Yeah, I agree with this, and it's why despite all the crap I've given Chico over the years I love him and will miss him when he's gone (misidentifying players has become more of an issue with him in recent years but he used to be really good at knowing how a puck went on first viewing - given that a good quarter of NHL goals end up in the net and you're like 'How'd that go in?' Chico was a valuable resource in that respect).  I do wish Daneyko talked a little faster - he doesn't have to be the Micro Machines guy but I think if he got the gig he'd be the slowest talker in the league (that I can think of, anyway).

Probably doesn't need to be said but play by play is a lot harder than color. Doc was good but I don't think Cangi get's enough credit. Hockey is fast moving and to be able to keep up with that is very hard. Try to do it if you're watching a game by yourself. Color guys have it easy. All they have to do is chime in when there's a lull in the action.

Some of the fondest Devils memories I have are of KD with the Stanley Cup, looking like a scraggly, toothless homeless guy that broke into the arena and somehow got on the ice. Of course, at least half of those things are actually true. 

I am happy he is still around the team, and the color job would be a good fit I believe. 

I'll miss those instances when Chico loses it and goes full homer

"ALRIGHT MARTY"

I'll miss the Ted Baxter-like goofups.  My all-time favorite Chico goof goes way back in the early '00's when he was going on and on for two minutes about how Madden wasn't on the ice for a particular penalty kill, mentioned it like two or three times finally saying 'I don't know if there's a problem or what', and then Doc gently punked him

'The problem will be alleviated as Madden comes out of the box now'

Chico laugh 'Haha oh yeah'.

If anyone was around at the time, Peter McNab was an absolute disaster as a color guy when he started. He'd stagger, stutter....oh it was horrid. Pretty soon, he developed himself into a really solid color man. It was a let down when he left for the Avs, especially since it was right after the Devils won the Cup.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Chico always did this for me.

Not to say Chico didn't adequately display emotion, but sometimes he gave too much credit to the other team. fvck the other team. I want my home color guy to focus on what the Devils are doing wrong if they're fvcking up- I don't need him slobbering the opposition, which I think Chico has a tendency to do sometimes in order to prove to some he's not as big of a homer as he's perceived to be. I don't want Dano to be afraid to be a homer. Team color guys are supposed to be homers.

Not to say Chico didn't adequately display emotion, but sometimes he gave too much credit to the other team. fvck the other team. I want my home color guy to focus on what the Devils are doing wrong if they're fvcking up- I don't need him slobbering the opposition, which I think Chico has a tendency to do sometimes in order to prove to some he's not as big of a homer as he's perceived to be. I don't want Dano to be afraid to be a homer. Team color guys are supposed to be homers.

Chico was/is a Devils player mind reader, that was sicking.

Edited by LucifersDog

I'll miss the Ted Baxter-like goofups. My all-time favorite Chico goof goes way back in the early '00's when he was going on and on for two minutes about how Madden wasn't on the ice for a particular penalty kill, mentioned it like two or three times finally saying 'I don't know if there's a problem or what', and then Doc gently punked him

'The problem will be alleviated as Madden comes out of the box now'

Chico laugh 'Haha oh yeah'.

I remember that! Too funny!