Tallinder and JJ practicing

Risky

Gionta isn't good at all defensively. I'm not sure where that perception comes from. He works hard and forchecks the hell out of the opposition because that's the only way he can be anywhere near NHL caliber. Josefson is better in the defensive zone, he is better in the neutral zone and he is better in the offensive zone. The 4th line has been getting pinned quite often in this series and their sh% each way are beyond lucky.

1104 PDO for Gionta is laughable and ready to crumble at any time.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Tallinder will be rusty, but he also won't be beat up. I would expect his first game back could be rocky, but I would think the games after that he'd add much more to the team than Larsson, Harrold, or the hurt Volchenkov.

Volchenkov is the only defensmen capable of playing his wrong side. Harrold and Larsson will come out if any.

lol @ Gionta for Conn Smythe

He's fine. He hustles, got some good (lucky) goals. Glad to have him filling in, but reading this thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

His goals have not been lucky. Those are trench goals and the hardest to earn... I'm not giving him the Smythe but I don't see any Devil in that category, yet. Brodeur picks where he left off last game and he'll start to get some mention.

His goals have not been lucky. Those are trench goals and the hardest to earn... I'm not giving him the Smythe but I don't see any Devil in that category, yet. Brodeur picks where he left off last game and he'll start to get some mention.

Ummm Parise/Zajac?

Gionta isn't good at all defensively. I'm not sure where that perception comes from. He works hard and forchecks the hell out of the opposition because that's the only way he can be anywhere near NHL caliber. Josefson is better in the defensive zone, he is better in the neutral zone and he is better in the offensive zone. The 4th line has been getting pinned quite often in this series and their sh% each way are beyond lucky.

1104 PDO for Gionta is laughable and ready to crumble at any time.

Its really unfair to say Gionta's goals are lucky. He fought hard for those goals. He has had extremely strong shifts with his line, keeping the puck in the offfensive zone for miraculous periods of time judging who he's playing against. And considering who he has been matching up against, to say he "isn't good at all defensively" just doesn't make sense. He doesn't have the skill of JJ but who thinks he does? It's how he's playing right now that counts.

Its really unfair to say Gionta's goals are lucky. He fought hard for those goals. He has had extremely strong shifts with his line, keeping the puck in the offfensive zone for miraculous periods of time judging who he's playing against. And considering who he has been matching up against, to say he "isn't good at all defensively" just doesn't make sense. He doesn't have the skill of JJ but who thinks he does? It's how he's playing right now that counts.

He's not good defensively. He's adequate, but he's using his speed to compensate for his poor positioning/lack of reach. The reason we keep thinking 'oh, that's a great hustle play by Gionta' is because he's out of position and just getting back to make the play.

He's had some good shifts and DeBoer, to the detriment of my stress levels, isn't afraid to use that line against anyone's top line, but he (and the 4th line) are just lucky they haven't been burned more often.

Edited by Triumph

The 4th line right now is playing hard, fast and fearless. Thus far, JJ has been a little tentative, and, possibly due to bad luck, has gotten hurt every time he makes contact. I don't think Gio will ever be more than a 4th liner, but he's an ideal 4th liner in a way JJ isn't. JJ can do things Gio can't do, but other guys are doing those things, and Gio has great chemistry with a couple of guys who are doing all you could want and more. Long term, I think JJ's big time, and, while I think Gio has earned the right to start out on the team next year, I won't be shocked or crushed if he doesn't last, but I think for the rest of this run, you ride him unless something changes.

Zajac is second on the team in points and a force on the forecheck.

Gionta would weep before his Fenwick.

He's played well. He's not play MVP well and neither has Parise. The stuff about Gionta is a joke, at least I think he was joking. He has played nicely on the 4th line.

He's not good defensively. He's adequate, but he's using his speed to compensate for his poor positioning/lack of reach. The reason we keep thinking 'oh, that's a great hustle play by Gionta' is because he's out of position and just getting back to make the play.

He's had some good shifts and DeBoer, to the detriment of my stress levels, isn't afraid to use that line against anyone's top line, but he (and the 4th line) are just lucky they haven't been burned more often.

I have to admit, it looked to me like they were completely outmatched playing against top lines the past few games.

The stuff about Gionta is a joke, at least I think he was joking. He has played nicely on the 4th line.

Yes, hyperbole. Not holding my breath for Gionta to raise the Conn Smythe, but I definitely think he's played too well to be pulled for someone who's missed substantial time.

Yes, hyperbole. Not holding my breath for Gionta to raise the Conn Smythe, but I definitely think he's played too well to be pulled for someone who's missed substantial time.

Agreed, he's been an energy guy and has played hard every shift he's got. Maybe his bs stats that some people like to look at aren't great but he's definitely been a big part of this run and deserves to be in there.

I would not change anything.

But if I had to, I might consider swapping Carter and JJ for a game if JJ was back to 100%. Have JJ and Gionta switch positions. Only because Gionta is playing well, otherwise swap him out for JJ and leave Carter on wing. But really, why try to change what's been working. This team has way more depth than I had realized. Hopefully everyone can stay healthy, but it's a great luxury to have the guys we do on standby. I have faith in our healthy scratches to jump in if need be and contribute to the race to the cup, as long as their names aren't Boulton or Janssen.