Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I have a few DVDs of Rockies games, but home ones are hard to come by...that's the only home Rockies game I have...it was from an ESPN feed.  I have two more from Toronto (one win, one loss...one of them has Hardy Astrom starting, and he is every bit as bad as you may have heard), and another from LA (that one is brutal...a 10-3 loss...they were losing 2-0 before the game was even a minute old).  Kind of cool seeing Marcel Dionne in his prime though, and the purple-and-yellow Kings jerseys.  Also have the Rockies' (and franchise's) very first playoff game, a 3-2 OT loss to the Flyers in the Spectrum.  I think the Flyers came out pissed knowing that a team that won 19 games had somehow taken them to overtime...they ended the game in less than a minute.  Rockies' goalie Doug Favell played his ass off...think he made 42 saves.

What's great about Rockies-Blues DVD:

1) A lot of helmetless players.  And a lot of mustaches and poofy Ron Duguay-type hairstyles.  Kind of hard to believe people actually wanted to look like that on purpose.

2) A pretty good John Wensick fight (forget who he fought against at the moment).  I think Brent Ashton got into it with someone too.

3) Rockies whupped ass, which they pretty much never did (they won all of 18 games that season).  Bobby MacMillan scored four goals.  A line of Merlin Malinowski (who was playing himself into the doghouse after a breakout 1980-81 campaign...he'd be out of the league after the end of the 82-83 season), Don Lever, and MacMillan had a big day, tallying five of the Rockies' seven goals (Steve Tambellini and Brent Ashton scored the others).  Most of the hats thrown on the ice after MacMillan scored his third goal were cowboy hats. 

4) Great in-between-periods interview with Chico (he was suffering though his first full season with the Rockies, after having been dealt from the Islanders at the deadline the year before).  Really came off as stand-up and positive, though you could tell the constant losing was killing him.  He was asked about all of the rumors swirling about the Rockies' possible impending move (no one was sure where they were going to end up), and basically said it was on the players to not let it become a distraction, that no one was going to feel sorry for them. 

5) And of course, was great to hear R&R Part 2 being used as a goal song way before everyone else. 

I have the infamous Mickey Mouse game, but I'm not going to lie...I haven't watched it yet, because I can't bring myself to watch it.  I know it's from a different era, but the idea of watching a team score 13 goals on the Devils... :urg:  

I went to the first Devils home game versus the Oilers after the infamous Mickey Mouse game (which was in Edmonton). Many of the fans wore Mickey Mouse ears to the arena, and the crowd was razzing Gretzky all night long. Even though the Devs lost that game too, it was a very close contest and a hell of a lot of fun.

Edited by 95Crash

I'm glad it has a majority of the votes, it should. Fans hate change as it was said before...

Let me just take a quick pole though...if they were to bring it back, but only play it when the Devils were in the lead, or they took the lead with that goal, would you guys be open to that? I think it's a fair compromise...

Not a chance of that happening.  The idea is to make the atmosphere more family-friendly, not to make chants more factually-accurate, and if they played the song only when the Devils were winning, they would pretty much be encouraging fans to yell "you suck."

Oh please. Some of my earliest memories as a child are my cousin letting me play Mortal Kombat because my Mom refused to buy it. I GUARANTEE that 99% of children who are attending Devils games, have heard MUCH worse. And plus, if you sit not in the 200s or just don't go when it's super cheap $20 college a$$hole night, you'll be fine anyways.

It's not that I don't understand your point, as I will temper my language if there's kids around, I'll still jeer the opposing team, but I'm not gonna drop f bombs, but kids aren't being scarred or exposed to something they haven't already been exposed to when they hear the word "suck", so unless the goal is to eliminate all dirty words from being spoken, how is the goal of protecting the children being achieved?

Learning to carry yourself in a public place in a proper manner. The problem is you get fools who think buying a ticket gives them the right to turn the arena into their own personal living room. Then they boycott the team when their hands are slapped like a bunch of spoiled brats. 

• Like 1

Learning to carry yourself in a public place in a proper manner. The problem is you get fools who think buying a ticket gives them the right to turn the arena into their own personal living room. Then they boycott the team when their hands are slapped like a bunch of spoiled brats. 

This.  Under no circumstance does the consumer have the right to tell the business owner how to run their business.

I have the infamous Mickey Mouse game, but I'm not going to lie...I haven't watched it yet, because I can't bring myself to watch it.  I know it's from a different era, but the idea of watching a team score 13 goals on the Devils... :urg:  

Hah, they showed the highlights of that on MSG a while back.  It was actually somewhat of a Back To the Future moment seeing Doc and JD do the p/by/p.

I'm going on Saturday.  Please don't let it be more than 25% Rags fans.  I fully expect us to light up Queenie so we can hear the song several times.

i dont know how many devil ranger games youve been to at the rock but uh FYI its usually around a 50/40ish split of fans... and with the team doing horrible who knows

i dont know how many devil ranger games youve been to at the rock but uh FYI its usually around a 50/40ish split of fans... and with the team doing horrible who knows

It hasn't been close to 60/40 in years.  It's at most 20% Rags fans these days.

Yes, but that's going to happen no matter what. I went to a college night game last year, we were playing Carolina and lost. Some drunk idiot was yelling at the one Carolina fan in our section all night. You suck this, you suck that. It was non-stop swearing and dick jokes. It sucked and after a while I got up and told him to shut the fvck up about his dick because there were kids near by, but then his drunk gf started yelling.

My point is, it happens, it's unavoidable when you have alcohol and young people. As I left the game, I said to the guy, "look man, I'm just trying to watch the game and I don't need commentary all night". I think he got the point, it didn't start a fight, I didn't call him names. Maybe he'll not be an a$$hole next time, maybe he will. Either way, this type of thing isn't going to be prevented by changing the goal song, so what's the point?

Yes, but that's going to happen no matter what. I went to a college night game last year, we were playing Carolina and lost. Some drunk idiot was yelling at the one Carolina fan in our section all night. You suck this, you suck that. It was non-stop swearing and dick jokes. It sucked and after a while I got up and told him to shut the fvck up about his dick because there were kids near by, but then his drunk gf started yelling.

My point is, it happens, it's unavoidable when you have alcohol and young people. As I left the game, I said to the guy, "look man, I'm just trying to watch the game and I don't need commentary all night". I think he got the point, it didn't start a fight, I didn't call him names. Maybe he'll not be an a$$hole next time, maybe he will. Either way, this type of thing isn't going to be prevented by changing the goal song, so what's the point?

Did you go to security or arena staff and report them? If not, why? Even though he might have been cool about it, what if he threw a punch at you? Trying to confront drunks is a coin toss on what you'll get back as a reaction. 

Yes, it's unavoidable. They're drunk when they come in the building even. Speaking in relative terms, it's a social issue within society. The way to curb it somewhat is be vigilant of those around you and go to security/arena staff. Obviously, in the case of Carolina night, they probably heard it and saw it but didn't act because no one complained. That laziness isn't a shock with Pru Center security or staff. 

Changing the goal song is a message. This fan base has always had a reputation of being a bunch of entitled, selfish spoiled brats and they're earning it now. They buy a ticket and they somehow think it gives them the right to make it their own living room. They're wrong.

Did you go to security or arena staff and report them? If not, why? Even though he might have been cool about it, what if he threw a punch at you? Trying to confront drunks is a coin toss on what you'll get back as a reaction. 

Yes, it's unavoidable. They're drunk when they come in the building even. Speaking in relative terms, it's a social issue within society. The way to curb it somewhat is be vigilant of those around you and go to security/arena staff. Obviously, in the case of Carolina night, they probably heard it and saw it but didn't act because no one complained. That laziness isn't a shock with Pru Center security or staff. 

Changing the goal song is a message. This fan base has always had a reputation of being a bunch of entitled, selfish spoiled brats and they're earning it now. They buy a ticket and they somehow think it gives them the right to make it their own living room. They're wrong.

I'm not about to go whine to security because someone is using dirty words at a sporting event. Talk about an over-reaction. It was just some drunk dude and his gf, not like it would have been a giant brawl. We were in the cheap seats too. I had a couple buddies with me too, so if it came to that, I would have been fine, not that I was trying to incite a fight.

Even Rags fans would tell you it's normally 80/20 these days.

Rangers fans are dillusional. I saw a comment on some forum (dont know which one, if it was Rangers specific or not), but this Rangers fan was telling people, i think it was from 2012, that it was at least 2/3rds Rangers fans, if not more, and there was significantly more fan noise when the Rangers scored. I think 20% is a generous estimate. Im sure you can count more than 5 Devils fans per Rangers fan. Its certainly a hell of a lot better than any Wings or Hawks road game out west, and Leafs fans seemingly out number Sens fans in Ottawa. Im not sure if there was a single Panthers fan last night down there against the Bruins, that was pretty awful.

The ratio has gotten much better over the past few seasons.  In the playoffs in 2012, they were a very silent minority (10-15% max).  The ticket department did a great job of trying to keep them out.  However, our last meeting vs. them last season there was a large number of blue (30-40%) in our arena.  Not sure if ticket sales policies have changed or not, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a number of Rags fans in the building Sat. night.

Not even close, man. Hasn't been more than 80/20 for years, and even that's being generous (our presale ticketing has been way more on point since 2011, limiting amount of tix that reach Rangers fans). 15-20% of the crowd can still be loud when their team scores with the way arena sound is mic'd and compressed. Rags fans at home watching hear the crowd cheer after a goal and think there's 9,000 Rangers fans there.

Yes, I know we're losing, and yes I know the Rangers haven't had a home game yet so our tickets are in demand to them, but hey, this is only our second home game, so I doubt too many people are panicking and selling them, not for a Saturday game against our rivals...

I am thinking that based off the pre-season game agains the Rags it will be about a 60/40 split or close to it.  There was a lot more than usual and I think a good chunk of it has to do with the Garden still has yet had a game there because of the renovations.  This is as close to a home game they are going to get for the next 2 more weeks and with prices generally cheaper at the Rock than the garden, the rags fans will be buying up seats left and right.

60/40 is absurd. You cant say close to half the building is going to be in a Rangers jersey. Whoever goes, take a note.

ill be there and ill take a note for you ;) .. but yea i dont know i always feel like there are ALOT of them around every time i go to a dev rag game.. even during that pre season game at the rock there were plenty of them