White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

I'm shocked that Lou couldn't find a trading partner for White. With all the bad signings out there, you'd think one team with cap space would take White for a draft pick or a cheaper body.

There was a logjam at defense, and if Lou is being told to cut payroll, he has no choice. But I don't think this move is as bad as it sounds. Sad to see a really good Devil go though.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought - what if this is Lou's way of a handshake agreement with Colin White ala Jay Pandolfo? There's an outside chance of White retiring; maybe he wants more family time, maybe he's tired of playing with "one eye," who knows. But if he retired normally, he'd get nothing. This way, he takes home $2mil and gets his family time.

Maybe Lou gave it to him straight and offered to buy him out or look for a trade, and White preferred this choice.

Not saying it's the reason for all of this, but I really wouldn't be shocked if something like this came to light.

I'd have liked to see a healthy Trent Hunter get a shot, because i think he would have helped, but he really didn't fit into the lineup and he's not going to play on the 4th line with that cap hit. Younger and cap trimming was probably the best way to go here in the end and it looks like taking Hunter was nothing more then a cosmetic move made for the Islanders to take Rolston, no matter LL's claims of Hunter on the roster.

White? Well, my feelings on White have been pretty clear since he did a human traffic cone impression during the 2008 Playoffs. He's had games where he's been solid with the puck and effective physically, but there's been too many times he's made bad passes/bad descisons with the puck, ran out of position to make a hit and looked overall slow and plodding. While we all should be grateful of White's contributions to this organization, it was clear it was time to move on and get younger and hopefully more mobile.

Who says Salvador will be here when the season starts, anyway? It's not written in stone.

They have plenty of cap space left, but i'm really not expecting anything to be added. I get the impression the directive is to lower payroll by a) cutting vets who can be replaced by younger players who need to be looked at and given the chance b) after years of spending to the cap, it's time to peel back for financial reasons and save some cap room for in-season moves if needed.

Who knows? In a way, is this team a Cup contender or top 4-5 in the conference to be spending to the cap limit as constructed before the exit of White? I can kind of see what they're trying to do and how they are going about it, but can they afford to linger down in the standings and miss the playoffs again with an uncertain future this summer looming?

Who are the potential rental D-men? I could see the Devils going into the season with a combo of Volchenkov/Greene/Tallinder/Fayne/Taormina/Salvador/Larsson and making a move for a FA-to-be during the year. Would leave us a little thin on the blue line in the early going, of course...

Ryan Suter leads the crop, along with Shea Weber if he's a one-year deal.

Overall, it's pretty deep for 2012:

John-Michael Liles, Dennis Wideman, Francois Beauchemin, Brad Stuart, Barrett Jackman, Johnny Oduya (just watch), Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Niklas Kronwall, Bryan Allen, Fedor Tyutin, Tim Gleason, Josh Gorges, Shaone Morrisonn, Johnny Boychuk...

John-Michael Liles, Dennis Wideman, Francois Beauchemin, Brad Stuart, Barrett Jackman, Johnny Oduya (just watch), Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Niklas Kronwall, Bryan Allen, Fedor Tyutin, Tim Gleason, Josh Gorges, Shaone Morrisonn, Johnny Boychuk...

most of those guys are on playoff teams, though.

i wonder if NJ maybe gives mccabe a 1 year deal - deboer knows him from florida.

I'd be cool with any of these guys.

I've seen this movie before.

This has ownership problems written all over it. Lou is clearly shaving some cash off of payroll.

As for Salvador, I don't know if he can be bought out while on injured reserve. I'm not sure, but was he cleared for contact yet?

And as for this being disrespectful to White, or why didn't they trade him, TG says in his article that Lou has tried to trade White since the season ended. He also said White has known he was going to be bought for a while now.