Devils sign Rostislav Olesz - 1 year, 1 Way, 1 Million

ghdi

Don't really know of the story, can you fill me in?

his contract was for 3.4m per or something like that.  he was a salary dump by florida for them to take brian campbell's contract.  he's an NHL quality player, just paid too much to be up in the NHL for a team like chicago

No risk deal. Its one way though, so hes clearly replacing Poni at least in terms of roster spot

One-year, one-way contract for Olesz for $1 million total -- $700,000 base salary plus $300,000 in games played bonuses. - TG

Really just think he's an extra for us. If Ryder signs here i Don't see how he could crack the top 9 and the 4th seems set with carter,Bernier, Gionta, Josefson.

I think Olesz is more optimal than Tedenby for the top 9. Its also not a stretch that he could push Gionta out. 

I think Olesz is more optimal than Tedenby for the top 9. Its also not a stretch that he could push Gionta out.

Have to wait and see but I think Matteau would be better than both of them. And if they didnt think Matty could play then y not just re-sign poni for that 3rd line

Have to wait and see but I think Matteau would be better than both of them. And if they didnt think Matty could play then y not just re-sign poni for that 3rd line

I think it's very unlikely that Matteau at 19 is better than Rosti Olesz.  I like Matteau but the Devils already squandered a year of his free agency, no need to repeat the same mistake next year.A

Also Ponikarovsky was not very good in his redux, I'd rather have Olesz than him too

Edited by Triumph

Because Poni played pretty bad and Olesz is supposed to be a similar player for less $$. If Matteau is being slotted into our roster, I'll be pissed.

Because Poni is crap (+ rumored to be going back to the KHL) and Olesz is cheaper.

Olesz reads like he has a LOT of upside.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/rostislav_olesz/

I like that he's Czech and he had some success with DeBoer before. Would be cool if Patty mentors him. He could be a real steal. This is probably his last chance.

Edited by ghdi

I like Matteau but the Devils already squandered a year of his free agency, no need to repeat the same mistake

I don't believe in mistakes - but you make a very valid point w/ the free agency year waste. You drive me nuts be sues you appeal to my overly cautious side Tri! I hate that about me.