I Need Your Opinions as Devils Fans on this

Meals on Wheels

Hey all, I want some honest opinions on an incident at the game last night. I'm 25 and I've been going to Devils games since 1993. I try to go as often as possible and I at least watch every game on TV when I can't make it. I care about this team more than most people care about anything else! Anyway, The Jersey Tour got me and 3 of my buddies into the game last night as we landed great seats at Section 21, Row 10. I brought 3 of my college friends who had never been to a game before. They now have a new appreciation for hockey after sitting so close to the ice and I believe 3 Devils Fans were born last night. That's the background, here's the situation:

If anyone was in section 21, we were the dudes trying to rally the fans in the 3rd period with chants and energy, encouraging people to stand and be loud. At one point I swear Kovy looked over and acknowledged our efforts which gave us even more incentive to cheer. I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game and if you combine that with my hunger to see the first home win of the year, we were pretty intense and loud.

When the Devils get the Power Play in OT, we realize what a crucial moment this is for our team. We successfully get what seemed like half of the section at least standing during the whistle before the PP. Call me crazy but I wanted some fire and electricity down there. The Players can really feed off of the fans and that can be a weakness for the Devils. As the PP started, we were too excited to sit and we expressed that to the two people behind us. They weren't having it at all! Instead of asking us nicely to sit, the rudely shouted curses with such animosity. I replied, "We need more energy, let's stand for 2 minutes and will them to victory, you can't stand for 2 minutes?" They replied no so we sit and shortly after Kovy scores the winner. We went nuts, high fiving random people in the section but of course the two people behind us wouldn't reciprocate the high fives when we offered to reconcile.

So now I ask all of you, now that I'm sober and clear minded, was I wrong to try to get everyone to stand for the last Power Play? Was that so wrong of us? Is anyone else ever disappointed with our fans? Are the same people booing the team and yelling "You Suck" during goals the same ones not cheering during the rest of the game? Please give me your honest opinions because I need to know for the future and I hate getting into conflicts with people, especially other Devils Fans. If, for instance, a majority of you feel it was out of line for us to stand and encourage that to others, it will be good for me to know and I will change the way I approach those situations in the future. Thank you for your input in advance.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils fans can be weird.. Some of them just want to go to their game and sit there, only cheering when a goal is scored and the game is won.. For whatever reason they just don't feel the passion, energy, and excitement that hockey brings.. I've seen as many Devils fans have altercations with each other as I've seen Devils fans have altercations with fans of the other team..

But don't let it get you down.. You did nothing wrong and I applaud you for trying to get the fans up and loud.. It doesn't sound like you were being overly roudy, because the PP in OT was huge and fans should have been going nuts (although sometimes in situations like that you're so tense that you can't speak lol).. I myself made a poster and brought it to the game hoping to get fans to feel the passion and believe in the team.. All you can do is come back for another game and be even louder!! Hope to see back at the Rock soon.. We need more loud, passionate fans :burn:

I, along with Lucifer91 who I gave 4 tickets to and was a row behind me in section 17, were trying to get the Lets Go Devils chant going but it was like pulling teeth. Part of being fans of a professional sports team is being as loud as possible. The more the fans are into it, the more the players feel the energy. Its like listening to a song that you love and how it gets you really pumped up. I dont understand, I was loosing my voice last night trying to get cheers going. The Devils have been part of my life for many years. I am 21 years old, my uncle brought me to my first Devils game back when I was maybe 8 or 9.

During the 3rd period, I was super loud, and I myself had a few beers in me as well so Im sure that helped. I am sure Kovie did hear you and see you. Im sure most of the team did. It helps them.

Although, it is a fine line between cheering your team on and just being outright belligerent. I dont think you did any harm. If you dont like the fact that people stand up and yell and cheer their team on....dont come. Simple as that.

Ive got your back. :cheers:

i admit that i'm one of those fans that sits and watches the game intensely rather than standing and cheering the whole time. but i have no problem with the fans around me getting hyped and loud as possible as long as i dohn't have to hear f bombs dropped every second(if my 6 yr old is with me, otherwise i don't care).

and if the people in front of me were standing and cheering, even though i don't like doing it, i would have stood and watched and not asked anyone to sit down and relax. i understand that most fans aren't as understated as i am at a game. i stand and cheer for a good hit or a goal, but mostly i sit and suffer watching a game until they win.

i don't think you did anything wrong.

I wasn't there of course, but since you are openly soliciting opinions....there is nothing wrong with supporting your team and cheering them to victory. However you did say; "I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game" and "now that I'm sober and clear minded" in your post. Might you have been a wee bit obnoxious? After all, nobody likes a drunk, especially if you have to sit near one for a few hours.

I am one of the quiet sitters when I go to hockey games. I don't like getting up and jumping around. That said mostly I go to junior hockey and I've only been to one NHL game because I live far from any arenas... so it's a bit of a different atmosphere.

I don't think you need to be drunk and disorderly to be a TRUE fan (not saying you were in this case). It has everything to do with what kind of a person you are and not what kind of fan. Some people like to get drunk, make lots of noise and taunt other fans... other people just like to enjoy the game and enjoy the fan craziness after a big play.

I wasn't there of course, but since you are openly soliciting opinions....there is nothing wrong with supporting your team and cheering them to victory. However you did say; "I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game" and "now that I'm sober and clear minded" in your post. Might you have been a wee bit obnoxious? After all, nobody likes a drunk, especially if you have to sit near one for a few hours.

Exactly. I'm 26 and like to have a good time at games, but it does get annoying at any sporting event when the people in front of you want to stand a lot during a game. Also not everyone is in their 20's, they may not have the energy to stand all the time, and jump out of their seats. Doesn't make them any less of a fan. Nothing is wrong with being enthusiastic, but I could see how four drunk guys standing and yelling in front of me all game could get on my nerves and like I said I'm 26 and like to drink before and during the games. :noclue:

Hey all, I want some honest opinions on an incident at the game last night. I'm 25 and I've been going to Devils games since 1993. I try to go as often as possible and I at least watch every game on TV when I can't make it. I care about this team more than most people care about anything else! Anyway, The Jersey Tour got me and 3 of my buddies into the game last night as we landed great seats at Section 21, Row 10. I brought 3 of my college friends who had never been to a game before. They now have a new appreciation for hockey after sitting so close to the ice and I believe 3 Devils Fans were born last night. That's the background, here's the situation:

If anyone was in section 21, we were the dudes trying to rally the fans in the 3rd period with chants and energy, encouraging people to stand and be loud. At one point I swear Kovy looked over and acknowledged our efforts which gave us even more incentive to cheer. I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game and if you combine that with my hunger to see the first home win of the year, we were pretty intense and loud.

When the Devils get the Power Play in OT, we realize what a crucial moment this is for our team. We successfully get what seemed like half of the section at least standing during the whistle before the PP. Call me crazy but I wanted some fire and electricity down there. The Players can really feed off of the fans and that can be a weakness for the Devils. As the PP started, we were too excited to sit and we expressed that to the two people behind us. They weren't having it at all! Instead of asking us nicely to sit, the rudely shouted curses with such animosity. I replied, "We need more energy, let's stand for 2 minutes and will them to victory, you can't stand for 2 minutes?" They replied no so we sit and shortly after Kovy scores the winner. We went nuts, high fiving random people in the section but of course the two people behind us wouldn't reciprocate the high fives when we offered to reconcile.

So now I ask all of you, now that I'm sober and clear minded, was I wrong to try to get everyone to stand for the last Power Play? Was that so wrong of us? Is anyone else ever disappointed with our fans? Are the same people booing the team and yelling "You Suck" during goals the same ones not cheering during the rest of the game? Please give me your honest opinions because I need to know for the future and I hate getting into conflicts with people, especially other Devils Fans. If, for instance, a majority of you feel it was out of line for us to stand and encourage that to others, it will be good for me to know and I will change the way I approach those situations in the future. Thank you for your input in advance.

Na you were not out of line. those fans were dickheads. First, its an NHL game-if those fans thought they wouldnt have to encounter loud fans they're out of their minds. Second, the game was in OT, and getting extremely exciting-f*** them if they are trying to tell you to quiet down.

Thanks all for your opinions! I do understand the desire to sit quietly and focus on the game as well and I've been there too and that's why I am bringing this up; To hear opinions on what is and is not acceptable during the game. To answer you dantesinferno, we had been drinking (not noticeably wasted) but buzzed enough that it was fueling some of the energy. I know no one likes a drunk and that's why today I felt partly bad about the situation because I'm not sure how others were perceiving us. I was just really disgusted by the reaction of certain fans behind me because we were trying to stand for the final PP. It seems like most of you agree with my stance but if you're not gonna get on your feet and cheer during the final 2 minutes of a tight game with a 4 on 3 Power Play to end the game, when are you going to? I know one thing for sure and that is that in all sports, the home team always has the advantage because of psychological reasons. Positive encouragement and noise goes a long way in sports. The Players are just people too and they run off of emotions and adrenaline. The Devils hadn't won at home yet and I must say, you can pretty much always hear a pin drop in that arena. You think there's a connection there? And I've been to loud Devils games before so I know it's possible, especially Game 7 of 2003 SCF at the CAA when the building was literally swaying back and forth after the 2nd and 3rd goals (Who else was there and felt that?!)No I don't expect it to always be Stanley Cup Playoffs/Finals loud but we have to establish an intimidating crowd mentality. Let's be loud and while I'm at it, I'd like to try to put an end to the "You Suck" garbage already, especially when we're in the basement like this...it's really embarrassing. Thanks for the input again! :cheers:

I don't think you need to be drunk and disorderly to be a TRUE fan (not saying you were in this case). It has everything to do with what kind of a person you are and not what kind of fan. Some people like to get drunk, make lots of noise and taunt other fans... other people just like to enjoy the game and enjoy the fan craziness after a big play.

I also agree with this. People are different. I like to sit in my seat and really watch the play closely. At Intense moments in the game sometimes I'm so into it I can barely breathe let alone start a cheer. I remember a couple years ago against Carolina in the playoffs, a group of guys a section over in the upper section were starting chants all game, and we would get into most of them, but when you're doing it every 2 minutes it gets old fast. Then a big power play started for us and this guy turned his back toward the ice yelling at people to get up and cheer. Everyone near me was so intent on watching the play, we ignored him, the he starts going nuts how we suck as fans, meanwhile this "true fan" had his back to the ice for 30-45 seconds of a power play in a huge game. Different strokes.

i admit that i'm one of those fans that sits and watches the game intensely rather than standing and cheering the whole time. but i have no problem with the fans around me getting hyped and loud as possible as long as i dohn't have to hear f bombs dropped every second(if my 6 yr old is with me, otherwise i don't care).

and if the people in front of me were standing and cheering, even though i don't like doing it, i would have stood and watched and not asked anyone to sit down and relax. i understand that most fans aren't as understated as i am at a game. i stand and cheer for a good hit or a goal, but mostly i sit and suffer watching a game until they win.

i don't think you did anything wrong.

As I've gotten older I have become more like you just described. I used to be much more vocal but I now save that for the playoffs. I enjoy regular season as well but I just can't go crazy over every single thing since there are so many games during the year. I just like to watch closely to try to get a good read on what the team is doing and how they are playing but I never have issues with anyone cheering madly around me.

One thing I like to do is stand. If I'm in the last row I'll do it for the whole game, otherwise you'll wind up blocking people. With so many people moving in an out it's really the only way to maintain a clear view of the game. I just feel more into it as well.

I'd like to try to put an end to the "You Suck" garbage already, especially when we're in the basement like this...it's really embarrassing. Thanks for the input again! :cheers:

I completely agree. It makes us look like goons. Esp when we are down by 3 goals, score one and then chant YOU SUCK to the other team. I would really like to see another goal song. I still say Hell Yeah by Rev Theory. :giggle:

I've been to a decent amount of games in my life, but I noticed last night in 124 a lot of people weren't even standing and cheering when the Devils scored. I've never seen that in my life going to games. Hell, even if you're not the loudest in your face fan most people normally stand up when the team scores a goal.

I wanted to stand up for the final minutes of the 3rd and overtime like I did on Wednesday (had no rows behind me) but I figured if I did it on Friday with a ton of rows behind me people would give me sh!t so I didn't. Still made sure I was loud though!