Fox 29 Philadelphia Confirm Devils sold to Josh Harris

trailblazer

The Devils have sold-out 30 of their last 39, and have averaged 17,000 over the last 50 home games.

..remind me again why I should believe this team “won’t cut it” ?? :noclue: 

just sick of all this talk about the finances and people thinking there would be a move ANY TIME soon...

The Devils aren't moving, end of story.  You could buy a team much cheaper and move them if you wanted.  Now maybe at the end of the lease, whoever's owning the team tries to cow Newark into giving him more or he'll go somewhere else, but usually cities give in on those sorts of battles.

Doesn't the lease run for another 20 years or something? 

Doesn't the lease run for another 20 years or something? 

Exactly.. And by then, much of our young fan base will have kids or be nearing that age. Why would the league want to move a franchise that will have a 50+ year history and tradition in a wealthy, densely packed market? They wouldn't, and the team even in it's current state is obviously attractive enough to be sold quickly to a billionaire

A list of teams most likely to move or relocate in our local area (based solely on leases and ownership deals in place):

1) Rangers

2) Flyers

3) Devils

4) Penguins

5) Islanders

It's funny how ironic Rags fans are when they make fun of us moving. By 2020, they are the most likely team in the local area to (at least) not be playing in the same arena.

Devils and Isles are all but locked into their homes, while the City of New York is playing chicken with the Rags to get them out (or pay).

Edited by DJ Eco

Exactly.. And by then, much of our young fan base will have kids or be nearing that age. Why would the league want to move a franchise that will have a 50+ year history and tradition in a wealthy, densely packed market? They wouldn't, and the team even in it's current state is obviously attractive enough to be sold quickly to a billionaire

Not to mention the fact that it's 20 FRIGGIN' YEARS away.  Who knows whether there will even be an NHL by then, much less whether every other possible market that would even want a pro hockey team will be tapped out. 

A list of teams most likely to move or relocate in our local area (based solely on leases and ownership deals in place):

1) Rangers

2) Flyers

3) Devils

4) Islanders

5) Penguins

It's funny how ironic Rags fans are when they make fun of us moving. By 2020, they are the most likely team in the local area to (at least) not be playing in the same arena.

The Flyers (more precisely Comcast) own their own arena.  The Penguins I imagine have the same long term lease that the Devils basically do.

The Flyers (more precisely Comcast) own their own arena.  The Penguins I imagine have the same long term lease that the Devils basically do.

Yep you're right, Comcast owns Wells Fargo Center and the Flyers, so I'll bump them down the list haha.. Rangers have the shortest lease/most uncertainty, Devils 2nd shortest lease, Penguins only a slight bit more I believe, Isles are in til the 2040, Flyers not sure.

Edited by DJ Eco

Blitzer: "The NJD are the envy of 99% of the NHL". Damn straight. Love this guy. It's about time the organization starts projecting the attitude I've had for years towards the Rags, Phailures, and everyone else: 'We're better than you, we know it, and we're gonna kick your fvcking ass'.

Edited by MadDog2020

Blitzer: "The NJD are the envy of 99% of the NHL". Damn straight. Love this guy. It's about time the organization starts projecting the attitude I've had for years towards the Rags, Phailures, and everyone else: 'We're better than you, we know it, and we're gonna kick your fvcking ass'.

:boogie: :boogie:

I would tend to think they would like to have a team there who is going to bring business in to the arena for a set 41 events a year as opposed to leaving all that opportunity open...

What I should have said if the Devils are not making it financially they could sell the team to someone else and they could stay at the Rock or sell the team to someone that would relocate them. Of course they would keep the arena and entertainment business. That's not today that's a future option open to them.

These guys seem certainly too good to be true.

Like CR1976 I am just waiting for some skeletons to come out of the closet. However I will just take it at face value right now and enjoy this news.

It really does seem like a perfect situation.. The entire ownership team plus Scott all seem committed to the team, the arena, city, state, of course the fans!

The Devils have sold-out 30 of their last 39, and have averaged 17,000 over the last 50 home games.

..remind me again why I should believe this team “won’t cut it” ?? :noclue: 

I wasn't saying they wouldn't cut it financially but if they didn't the new owners have the options to sell just the team and it stays at the Rock or sell it and it gets relocated while the new owners retain the arena and entertainment business. If one has a losing business they usually bail out. To your point selling out 30 of their last 39 games with over 17,000 average over the last 50 games doesn't mean the Devils team makes any money it could be a loss.

You sound incredibly similar to NC107 on HFBoards....

Fact of the matter is that the Devils are at least break-even and the arena pretty much needs an anchor tenant. We draw top 10 in the US for average TV viewers per game and our attendance is increasing as the fan base comes of age. So I'm not sure why this is even really much of a thought right now. Technically the same situation applies to practically every sports team that owns their building as well

If they separate the entertainment/arena business from the hockey business they have options. I don't believe the Devils hockey business (stand alone) has ever broken even or made a profit, we don't have the right to get that information. All arena would like an anchor tenant so if they sold the Devils to you and you rented or leased the Rock for your games they don't care if you make money or not as long as you pay the rent. If the Devils lose money year after year they will dump the team to someone else here or somewhere else. The only reason for this discussion is it becomes an option because of new owners. As for your last sentence that is true if they are not co-mingled. I hope it all stays status quo.

These guys seem certainly too good to be true.

Like CR1976 I am just waiting for some skeletons to come out of the closet.  However I will just take it at face value right now and enjoy this news.

After the offseason we've had, Im sure alot of us have that cautious approach. Thats more reason to enjoy the news now.

If they separate the entertainment/arena business from the hockey business they have options. I don't believe the Devils hockey business (stand alone) has ever broken even or made a profit, we don't have the right to get that information. All arena would like an anchor tenant so if they sold the Devils to you and you rented or leased the Rock for your games they don't care if you make money or not as long as you pay the rent. If the Devils lose money year after year they will dump the team to someone else here or somewhere else. The only reason for this discussion is it becomes an option because of new owners. As for your last sentence that is true if they are not co-mingled. I hope it all stays status quo.

Where do you get such ridiculous information from? Where have you read that the Devils hockey operations has never broken even? Did you honestly just make that up or do you have a source?

After the offseason we've had, Im sure alot of us have that cautious approach. Thats more reason to enjoy the news now.

Where do you get such ridiculous information from? Where have you read that the Devils hockey operations has never broken even? Did you honestly just make that up or do you have a source?

I don't have a source nor do you. We don't know. Vanderbeek has said they lost money as a team that's all.