NFL Free Agency Thread

MadDog2020

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No shocks here, though Davis, or whatever he is now would be a good pickup for Buffalo or GB...

The Houston Texans waived quarterback David Carr, the first draft pick in franchise history five years ago, and running back Domanick Williams.

The Texans never have had a winning record, and Carr often was the scapegoat. He completed 60 percent of his passes, but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons.

Houston hoped Carr would flourish under new coach Gary Kubiak last season, but the Texans went 6-10.

Williams, formerly Domanick Davis, is Houston's career rushing leader with 3,195 yards. He spent all of last season on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Also Friday, the Texans re-signed 1999 Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, who joined the Texans just before last season and blossomed late in the season, rushing for 429 yards and five touchdowns in December.

The Texans released Carr a day after signing Matt Schaub and saying he would be their starting quarterback. General manager Rick Smith said Thursday the team was trying to trade Carr, who had two years left on a contract that was to pay him $11.5 million for those seasons.

"It will be kind of weird without David next season, especially for the guys that have been there for a long time," Dayne said in a phone interview. "It won't be that big for me since I just got here. But we've got to move forward without him."

A message left for Carr's agent, Mike Sullivan, was not immediately returned Friday. The team said it would have no immediate comment.

Williams sat out most of training camp last season with soreness in his right knee. He showed up in the Texans locker room on Jan. 1, saying he had legally changed his last name from Davis to Williams, his mother's maiden name.

He missed five games in 2005 before undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery. He returned for training camp and declared himself healthy, but soon stopped practicing because of a bone bruise in the knee.

The Texans bolstered their backfield by signing Ahman Green earlier this month. The same day, Smith said Williams had experienced more swelling in his knee and will probably undergo another surgery.

The Texans signed Dayne two days after placing Williams on injured reserve in September. Dayne had been released by Denver, where Kubiak was formerly the offensive coordinator.

Dayne led the Texans with 612 rushing yards on 151 carries, his best season since 2001 with the New York Giants. He ran for 153 yards and two touchdowns in Houston's 27-24 win over Indianapolis on Christmas Eve, one of the biggest wins in franchise history.

Dayne said he's content to back up Green, a four-time Pro Bowler.

"It's OK," Dayne said. "I've been in the same position for most of my career. So I've been used to it. Whenever I get in I just want to do my best and help the team."

Suprisingly the Cowboys have quietly filled thier needs....veteran backup QB, big OL, and a cover saftey....should be interesting coming draft day....some rumors saying we might try to coax Millen into swapping picks as to ensure picking up Calvin Johnson....that would be interesting....only real thing that remains to be seen is if TO's bonus will be picked up in June....

*here's hoping for a good season*

Suprisingly the Cowboys have quietly filled thier needs....veteran backup QB, big OL, and a cover saftey....should be interesting coming draft day....some rumors saying we might try to coax Millen into swapping picks as to ensure picking up Calvin Johnson....that would be interesting....only real thing that remains to be seen is if TO's bonus will be picked up in June....

*here's hoping for a good season*

LOTCB: your killing me....is that the Great Gilbert Perreault??????

The Texans giving up on Carr is just poor management. They draft the kid first and NEVER improved their O-Line which is priority #1.

I hope he finds a decent place to restart his career.

I'm still convinced that Carr's got the goods; he's no Ryan Leaf.

As Manta said, the Texans' O-Line has been just plain atrocious.

Oh, and to show just how expert the experts are... the day I said that I could see Carr going to Cleveland or Miami... that's exactly what they said on ESPN. Yep, their jobs are reaaaaaal difficult. B )

Carr is a below average NFL starter who is probably shot - yeah, Houston didn't help, but this guy can't throw downfield. Neither Cleveland nor Miami have many weapons so going to either of those places won't make him look good.

Houston didn't need to pay that much for a guy no one else wanted with Matt Schaub. That pick could've been used on an offensive lineman to protect him. Atlanta made a great deal - they were hanging on to Vick anyway, and while Vick is an average QB paid too much money, they might have the picks to get some talent to surround him.

Seems like Houston's taken over the Bengals' former crown of worst run franchise in football - and the Raiders don't count because Al Davis is senile and insane.

Carr is a below average NFL starter who is probably shot - yeah, Houston didn't help, but this guy can't throw downfield. Neither Cleveland nor Miami have many weapons so going to either of those places won't make him look good.

Houston didn't need to pay that much for a guy no one else wanted with Matt Schaub. That pick could've been used on an offensive lineman to protect him. Atlanta made a great deal - they were hanging on to Vick anyway, and while Vick is an average QB paid too much money, they might have the picks to get some talent to surround him.

Seems like Houston's taken over the Bengals' former crown of worst run franchise in football - and the Raiders don't count because Al Davis is senile and insane.

TRADE ALERT:

A trade that I am sure ESPN will destroy because they truly are clueless and hate the Bills, the Bills trade "the lost step" LB Takeo Spikes and 'dink and dunk' QB Kelly Holcumb to the Philadelphia Eagles for DT Darwin Walker and a conditional 2008 draft pick.

EAGLE$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bills Trade Spikes, Holcomb

by R News staff

Published Mar 26, 2007

The Buffalo Bills announced they traded linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to the Philadelphia Eagles Monday for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a conditional draft choice.

Walker has been one of the most effective pass rushing defensive tackles in the NFL in recent years. Since 2002, he ranks fifth among NFL defensive tackles with 26.5 sacks.

6-4, 294 pounds, Walker will enter his eighth NFL season in 2007. In 2006, Walker

Yeah, 'cause Garcia was so great last year.

Garcia was an average QB - he wasn't going to sign in Philadelphia anyway. The reason why Philadelphia did so well was they abandoned their 60 pass a game strategy and let Westbrook run - and he won games for them.

Clown, Darwin Walker wasn't exactly the best run stopper last year. Frankly both teams are giving each other damaged goods.

Garcia was an average QB - he wasn't going to sign in Philadelphia anyway. The reason why Philadelphia did so well was they abandoned their 60 pass a game strategy and let Westbrook run - and he won games for them.

Clown, Darwin Walker wasn't exactly the best run stopper last year. Frankly both teams are giving each other damaged goods.