GDT 10/10/08: Devils VS Islanders 7PM

RunninWithTheDevil

lol I need to start the 2008-2009 Clarkson Ineffective Wraparound Count thread again.

Yeah, and what was the deal with Rock and Roll Pt. 2? If you're going to bring back anything, bring back the Bouncing Souls. But I'll take it over Zombie Nation. I mean, nostaaaalgiaaaaa.

And yes, White had a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible game. That's six horribles.

Edited by Cowutopia

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarkson actually seemed to play okay.

What?!

I'll give you one thing, one thing on Clarkson. He drove the net on his PP time, but his willingness to stand in front of big shots isn't going to get us as many goals as it should.

Edited by Cowutopia

clarkson played fine tonight. not every wraparound has to go in. they were actually at a good time to attempt them (and as i've said before, i'm fine with gionta on that line too). clarkson has no one to pass to who's a better close-in shot than he is, so let him take all the wraparounds to his heart's content.

God, it's been agony staying off the internet until I could see the game! GAH!

Here's my blogging, basically, from finally watching the rebroadcast of tonight's game, and I started writing down my thoughts in the second period.

Ugh. Clarkson has no hands, why is he on the power play? In fact he's all-around awful. Put Zubrus out there or die.

Guess who else looks all-around awful? Mottau. If he doesn't perform better it's Brookbank or Greene time. And I'm serious about that. White's having a terrible game, and the PP looks way worse than it did in preseason. I don't like all of Salmela's little rests either. He might work his way out of the rotation...but I loved that show low to the post that forced the pad save/rebound. Zubrus couldn't make a simple play coming in on Guerin. Awful. It's time for Rupp to go, too. I can't wait to see Vrana crack the starting lineup.

LOL at the music on the Isles' power play rush. Do that every time! Mottau made a nice play on Comrie but it was moving at the speed of smell. The 4th line is getting a LOT of minutes. White is having a poor game too, but thats pretty much his norm these days.

"The omnipresent number 9." Isn't that the truth?

Zubrus spins! He jives! He jukes! He plays it to a vacant corner! Again!

I don't like our breakout attempts here in the second.

LOL White again. lol. If White plays worse than last year it'll be a problem.

Period 3, let's go. Isles on the PP....

Holy sh!t, Mottau. Awful. Great kill on the 4 on 3. Madden is great.

I love Rolston. He needs to shoot though. I can't remember a big shot from far away in this game yet. Then again I'm a bottle and a half of wine into this game.

Getting killed on faceoffs again, really.

Salmela took too much time in his decision right there. He had a chance and delayed until it was gone.

Clarkson misses high. No sh!t. At least everything has settled. Pando isn't having a stellar game. Usually that line gets a few more chances. They've been killing penalties though. HOLY COW Langs almost buried that! I won't be negative about that. What a chance! THERE'S the shot by Rolston. Gio was a step slow.

Clarkson is so bad. Wow. Wide, wide, wide. Classic Devils. There's been a few sh!tty calls in this game. That was one of them, but there's been a couple the other way as well. You can't really call that on Langs. Oh wait, it's the new nhl, you can.

Pando with a great effort there, but couldn't clear when he got back on the PK. He looks a step slow. There's Rolston blast #2. That one was a bit off-target though. God I love Rolston. I haven't seen the 4th line too much here in the third, but there has been a lot of special teams. They look good tonight, certainly better than any 4th line we've fielded in a while.

Zajac is having an ok game, I haven't really commented on him yet. It looks like he just thinks a split second slower than everyone else on the ice, and that's the difference. Either that or he overthinks.

Clarkson is so bad. Again. Is nobody else seeing this? This is a terrible shift by him. He just can't handle playing with Madden and Pando. Period. Hey, Clarkson is bad again. 3:30 left, and he's bad again. Whoa he made a pass to Rolston! NO WAI.

This has not been a pretty game. Everyone has had hiccups, including Marty. I expect them to get back to preseason form soon, it was a long wait between the preseason and the start of the regular.

Salvador with a good block with under 2 remaining. Go Madden, go. lol smart, Madden. Don't pass to Clarkson. Jesus. GIO SHOOTS WIDE! He can't hit sh!t unless he's stuffing a rebound or deflecting a shot. The drunker I get the more I curse, apparently. Here comes the last 30. WHAT A SAVE HOLY sh!t! OMG! WHAT A WAY TO GO OUT! X2! WOW! Crucial face-off push.

Well it was ugly, but we start off the season the way we need to, 2 points against a division rival. YES, GO DEVILS! I'm disappointed with the scoreline, but hey, we're the Devils. That seemed very classic, we shut it down after the lead pretty well, except for giving up too many penalties.

Time to go read what I missed.

So your advocating benching half the defense?

I hope Oduya, Martin and Bryce can do a three-man rotation.... :giggle:

BTW guys, still think we paid too much for Salvador?

Right now he looks like the only other D-man with poise other than Martin... he should share the secret of "taking the body" with some of our other youngins...

the devils still paid too much for salvador. too many years.

Going rate... its 2008.

Vets want $$$ and security for their families...

Young studs want 1/4 of the team payroll per year...

I know a couple of NHL D-men in Russia that will probably play for less $$$, let me see what were their names.....Rack, Racoon-something, and Vishy-swishy-or-other....

Edited by DevilinLA

they set the market. they signed salvador before UFA period opened.

4 years for a defender like salvador is a mistake. they will be lucky if they get 3 decent years. the 4th is basically a write-off/buyout/Lowell year.

Do we really think there is a plan in place for after 3-years...the "Brodeur-less" period?

Do we really think there is a plan in place for after 3-years...the "Brodeur-less" period?

We'll just stuff him and prop him up in front of the goal.

you know this is a game last year we LOSE 2-1 :P

I was thinking the same thing.

And last year, the Elias goal would have been waved off :blink:

Alright, some quick notes from the first game of the year.

Entertainment Production:

Overall I give them a B- (hey, I'm a tough grader). Let's start with the good stuff.

HEY SONG!..fans loved it, I know my father and I (He's 56) was happy as a kid when that song started playing. It's great to hear. It's the only song I want to hear when they score.

VIDEO: OK. Oy vey. Where to begin. THe Devils Legion video was a good idea, but it was too similar to the building of the Rock video from last season. The Devils video people can't seem to understand you can't hear John Doe talking clearly enough to make up what they are saying, and these people show no energy when they are talking. It kills the mood of the whole piece, which is well done. Just doesn't hit the right note.

The actual opening video is terrible. Again, the use of Hells Bells..which is fine I guess (I would have changed to something, but I get in we're the Devils/Hells Bells..fine). But it's the same idea repackaged again and again, with a normal/faceless hockey player turning into a Devil. Woopdeedoo. It was really short, had no climactic ending that pulled the fans energy to a high point..which afterall, is the goal isn't it?

The opening video needs to have big plays, hits, saves with Doc Emrick doing his thing..as well as a thumping instrumental leading up to some sort of climax. This video is actually worse than last years. It's sad, how year after year they come up with duds.

Also, the video for the individual players are EXTREMELY akward looking. They eerily move across the screen and then it looks like they fall through a trap door under the scoreboard. It just looks terrible, in a funny amateurish way. The can simply look like last years, which were fine. The trap door is really funny.

DANCING GUY: GREAT IDEA. I really like the idea. But like the old saying is, too much of anything can't be good for you. He doesn't need to be on all the time. Once or twice a game, great. He did a great job though, fans reacted very well to him wherever he went.

I know he wasn't an employee of the Devils, but the guy in the green suit made me laugh all night. Especially, looking up in 233 and he's just sitting there in a green body suit. And then following the cameras around, we need more people like that.

MUSIC: I am a big hater of the music usually. Last night it was fine, I thought. Less organ playing pop hits, the better. If the organ plays, it needs to play an organ-staple song.

...and in the club seats, they took away the meat carving station (after having it all preseason), and replaced it with those terrible cheese steaks from the concourse. One of the workers mentioned they are going to start rotating it each night with a different concourse vendor. My problem is that the option is so much less healthier (I know we're at an arena, but plain meat is simply better for you). If they want cheesesteaks in there, put them where the hotdogs/chicken fingers are. The BOTTOM LINE is people are paying $170-$250 for those seats. They should have the meat carving station. Don't cut corners from the people who are paying a huge amount of the nightly revenue.

Game Night Program: PATHETIC. First of all, the amount of original material is disgusting. A couple of rinky dink articles that, as always, remain the same until the All Star break. It's lazy. Second, the logos used in the NHL Directory are OLD! San Jose changed a year ago, Ottawa changed a year ago, Tampa changed a year ago. ITS LAZY to mess that stuff up. C'mon NOW. It's just a pathetic excuse for an information guide. They need to be more innovative. The program can be a very good tool to connect with fans, and year after year, it continues to get worse. These are small things, but this is supposed to be a professional organization.

The Team on the Ice: White and MOttau, I thought were the weakspots last night. White will improve, you'd hope. Mottau seemed out of place, and could be a danger against the Rangers with their speed. Also, I'm not of the Zubrus, Holik, Rupp line. They don't seem to be able to keep the puck or finessee at all with it to keep it in the zone, create something. I'd put it in Vrana. His speed could help the other two.

Edited by HellOnICE

Overall I give them a B- (hey, I'm a tough grader). Let's start with the good stuff.

HEY SONG!..fans loved it, I know my father and I (He's 56) was happy as a kid when that song started playing. It's great to hear. It's the only song I want to hear when they score.

VIDEO: OK. Oy vey. Where to begin. THe Devils Legion video was a good idea, but it was too similar to the building of the Rock video from last season. The Devils video people can't seem to understand you can't hear John Doe talking clearly enough to make up what they are saying, and these people show no energy when they are talking. It kills the mood of the whole piece, which is well done. Just doesn't hit the right note.

The actual opening video is terrible. Again, the use of Hells Bells..which is fine I guess (I would have changed to something, but I get in we're the Devils/Hells Bells..fine). But it's the same idea repackaged again and again, with a normal/faceless hockey player turning into a Devil. Woopdeedoo. It was really short, had no climactic ending that pulled the fans energy to a high point..which afterall, is the goal isn't it?

The opening video needs to have big plays, hits, saves with Doc Emrick doing his thing..as well as a thumping instrumental leading up to some sort of climax. This video is actually worse than last years. It's sad, how year after year they come up with duds.

Also, the video for the individual players are EXTREMELY akward looking. They eerily move across the screen and then it looks like they fall through a trap door under the scoreboard. It just looks terrible, in a funny amateurish way. The can simply look like last years, which were fine. The trap door is really funny.

DANCING GUY: GREAT IDEA. I really like the idea. But like the old saying is, too much of anything can't be good for you. He doesn't need to be on all the time. Once or twice a game, great. He did a great job though, fans reacted very well to him wherever he went.

I know he wasn't an employee of the Devils, but the guy in the green suit made me laugh all night. Especially, looking up in 233 and he's just sitting there in a green body suit. And then following the cameras around, we need more people like that.

MUSIC: I am a big hater of the music usually. Last night it was fine, I thought. Less organ playing pop hits, the better. If the organ plays, it needs to play an organ-staple song.

...and in the club seats, they took away the meat carving station (after having it all preseason), and replaced it with those terrible cheese steaks from the concourse. One of the workers mentioned they are going to start rotating it each night with a different concourse vendor. My problem is that the option is so much less healthier (I know we're at an arena, but plain meat is simply better for you). If they want cheesesteaks in there, put them where the hotdogs/chicken fingers are. The BOTTOM LINE is people are paying $170-$250 for those seats. They should have the meat carving station. Don't cut corners from the people who are paying a huge amount of the nightly revenue.

Game Night Program: PATHETIC. First of all, the amount of original material is disgusting. A couple of rinky dink articles that, as always, remain the same until the All Star break. It's lazy. Second, the logos used in the NHL Directory are OLD! San Jose changed a year ago, Ottawa changed a year ago, Tampa changed a year ago. ITS LAZY to mess that stuff up. C'mon NOW. It's just a pathetic excuse for an information guide. They need to be more innovative. The program can be a very good tool to connect with fans, and year after year, it continues to get worse. These are small things, but this is supposed to be a professional organization.

The Team on the Ice: White and MOttau, I thought were the weakspots last night. White will improve, you'd hope. Mottau seemed out of place, and could be a danger against the Rangers with their speed. Also, I'm not of the Zubrus, Holik, Rupp line. They don't seem to be able to keep the puck or finessee at all with it to keep it in the zone, create something. I'd put it in Vrana. His speed could help the other two.

Re the entertainment production: interesting observations. you should email it to the Devils. Especially the parts you say are amateurship and kill the mood.

I heard WFAN play this news clip during their 20/20 update this morning:

"We had a great crowd," Brodeur said. "It was nice to be in our building and

have people cheer for us."

Link

It sounded as sarcastic as it reads. Obviously, Marty is still bothered about what happened to him in his own home arena -- our building -- in the playoffs. ... And really, can anyone blame him?

Link

It sounded as sarcastic as it reads. Obviously, Marty is still bothered about what happened to him in his own home arena -- our building -- in the playoffs. ... And really, can anyone blame him?

We can't turn back time and make the home crowd any better than it was in the playoffs last season. But we CAN try to give our team a home ice advantage this season. The crowd last night was OK. My section, 106, had its handful of great fans who were doing everything they could to make noise. But, as per usual, they were drastically outnumbered by those who preferred to sit on their hands.

I just don't understand why people will pay good money and make the journey to the arena just so they can sit quietly. Especially when our goalie, the greatest of all time and the source of so much pride and so many great memories, basically calls us out. The dude stands on his head 70+ games per year for us. The least we can do is occasionally stand up and yell.

We can't turn back time and make the home crowd any better than it was in the playoffs last season. But we CAN try to give our team a home ice advantage this season. The crowd last night was OK. My section, 106, had its handful of great fans who were doing everything they could to make noise. But, as per usual, they were drastically outnumbered by those who preferred to sit on their hands.

I just don't understand why people will pay good money and make the journey to the arena just so they can sit quietly. Especially when our goalie, the greatest of all time and the source of so much pride and so many great memories, basically calls us out. The dude stands on his head 70+ games per year for us. The least we can do is occasionally stand up and yell.

I thought the crowd was loud all night, there was a buzz in the air for some reason. I've gone to Devils games for years and always noticed the "quietness" in the arena, there was none of that last night. Seems to me the fans were 1. hurt by what happened in the playoffs last year and 2 think this team is going to be real good. Didn't hurt that it was opening night either, but different then others including last year.

Link

Then Marty should go talk to the business office and ask them why they constantly drive away fans. Seems like he's catching on, because he's promoting himself, so he should put 2 and 2 together here.

LOL, they got rid of the carving station? They really don't get it. They cut buses, pork loin and turkeys. Maybe they'd be able to afford all of them if they charged like $65-70 for the $100's and $95's in the mezz and people actually bought them!

I thought the crowd was loud all night, there was a buzz in the air for some reason. I've gone to Devils games for years and always noticed the "quietness" in the arena, there was none of that last night. Seems to me the fans were 1. hurt by what happened in the playoffs last year and 2 think this team is going to be real good. Didn't hurt that it was opening night either, but different then others including last year.

I thought that everyone was pretty loud on TV, actually. That's why I'm a bit confused.

The whole attendance thing gets me heated to think about. I'm around SO many loud, crazy Devils fans, but they've never been to a game in their lives. I guess...I don't know why all the quiet people go to the game. Damn.